MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The battery in my Mini Cooper S is dead, the boot is locked and will not open with the remote (no auto battery!) and of course the battery in in the storage area in the rear. How do I get the boot open manually? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,993 Posts
You can open the driver door with the key.
Then access the rear and lift the rear seat bottom. You should find a handle you can pull to manually release the boot.

NOTE: A certain time range of MINIs were built without this - you'd better hope yours isn't one of them. If it is, you could open the hood and attach a battery charger to the connections under there; that'll give enough power to release the locks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 2002 S didn't come with the emergency release handle as I found out on a cold, dark winters evening with a dead battery. You can access the boot and lift the floor up exposing the battery from the rear seats but it's a squeeze!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Success!....followed by a mystery. Yes it is difficult to get to the battery via the back seat, but since I found no handle with which to open the boot, that is what I did. When I gained access to the battery I decided just to charge it in place. I always hook up my charger to the terminals before plugging into the AC and when I just TOUCHED the ground terminal with the charger clip, there was a very small spark, the inside lights came on and the CD deck started making clicking noises. The car started right up - battery was not even weak. Remember that I had not connected the positive terminal when I touched the ground terminal - just the one single touch to the ground. At least I get to clean out that messy area. Thanks for the help. Now, who can tell me what happened, or rather why?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Connections were all good. I failed to mention that I had left the key in the ignition all night, but in the off position. I wonder if this is a fail safe system to prevent theft of a car left with keys in the ignition by some fool idiot? If so, there must be a way to over ride.....btw......still waiting for a return call from my dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Follow up....just talked with a tech at my Mini dealer....and no they never did call me. He has no clue what caused the failure, or why just touching the battery terminal would clear things up. Also said that there is no theft prevent system in place that would explain. Thanks to all for the responses, especially the last one about not leaving the keys in the car because it makes it easy to steal!! If I find the answer, I will post it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The battery in my Mini Cooper S is dead, the boot is locked and will not open with the remote (no auto battery!) and of course the battery in in the storage area in the rear. How do I get the boot open manually? Thanks.
I had the exact same problem after removing my dead battery and closing the boot. Here’s my solution as I had no joy with anything else...

I lifted the bottom of the rear seat to find my mini never had the catch underneath so I thought I was stuffed, after messing about with everything I could think of, I noticed there was a key hole on the top left of driver side rear seat (Pic 1)
Hood Automotive design Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive tire

and top right of the passenger side door.(Pic 2)
Hood Automotive design Grey Car Automotive exterior

They must both be facing the front/back of the car to enable the eventual release of the catch.
Under the seat is a metal hook embedded in the sponge (Pic 3)
Wood Sleeve Beige Rectangle Automotive exterior

This is supposed to be to unhook the back of the seat to release so you can drop it down. However I found the hook wasn’t required. If you remove the hoops on the parcel shelf (Pic 4)
Sleeve Grey Wood Asphalt Jewellery
you will see a black bracket on the back of each seat. (Pic 5&6)
Hood Automotive tire Sleeve Gesture Automotive design
Vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car

It is a bit awkward, but you can reach between the headrests and unlatch these with your fingers ( I found it easier than using the provided metal hook)
Once the seat backs have been dropped you can now access the battery storage, or if preferred, access the boot release – in my case a yellow plastic catch in the centre of the boot door.(Pic 7)
Tire Blue Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

This reply may be a too late for people involved here but I’m sure it may help in the future.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the exact same problem after removing my dead battery and closing the boot. Here’s my solution as I had no joy with anything else...

I lifted the bottom of the rear seat to find my mini never had the catch underneath so I thought I was stuffed, after messing about with everything I could think of, I noticed there was a key hole on the top left of driver side rear seat (Pic 1)
View attachment 281567
and top right of the passenger side door.(Pic 2)
View attachment 281568
They must both be facing the front/back of the car to enable the eventual release of the catch.
Under the seat is a metal hook embedded in the sponge (Pic 3)
View attachment 281569

This is supposed to be to unhook the back of the seat to release so you can drop it down. However I found the hook wasn’t required. If you remove the hoops on the parcel shelf (Pic 4)
View attachment 281573 you will see a black bracket on the back of each seat. (Pic 5&6)
View attachment 281579 View attachment 281580

It is a bit awkward, but you can reach between the headrests and unlatch these with your fingers ( I found it easier than using the provided metal hook)
Once the seat backs have been dropped you can now access the battery storage, or if preferred, access the boot release – in my case a yellow plastic catch in the centre of the boot door.(Pic 7)
View attachment 281581
This reply may be a too late for people involved here but I’m sure it may help in the future.
That's for a convertible? Mines a hatch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts