MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I know people have discussed this already and that it is possible to retract the convertible roof with the key, if it has been programmed by MINI or a dealer. I took my car in today to a local garage to have it done and he said his computer won't let him do it on a MINI and he phoned Scotthall Watford (where I bought the car) and they said they can't do it either. Does anyone know a garage where it can be done? I live in Hertfordshire.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Any MINI dealer with a computer/service centre should be able to do it :rolleyes:

My local two (Barons Farnborough and Vines Guildford) definitely can.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, my local garage (who is a mate of mine) says his computer can't do it, and he spoke to Scotthall and they said they can't programme MINI keys either! So it seems I'm a bit stuck...

·
clubMINI Master
992 Posts
My dealer did it for me.......it is great feature........love scaring passers by! Ha ha ha!

Had no issues getting it done, but did have to ask for it....can be a bit hit and miss at times though!........

·
totalMINI punto com
222 Posts
When you say hit and miss, what are the problems? Does the roof not open or close or both? Is the key out of range... Thanks in advance.

·
clubMINI Master
992 Posts
Just mean that it is like everything on the Cab....can have a bit of a mind of its own......lets says it personality!

Sometime, usually when you are trying to impress someone.....you can hold that button right up close to the car and stand there and nothing will happen....not even a glimer of it doing anything and other times it'll do it from far far away! I have open my car from my office with the car in the car park 2 stories below! But as I said it is hit and miss.....sometimes it'll get halfway and stop with the roof up in the air........I assume it is some kind of reception issue....but once its stops you can continue with the key, you have to get in and do it, or of course turn the key in the door and close it again!

Does that feature come even if you don't have the opening bit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone have any contacts for who can do this? I really want to get this enabled for my car!
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
it's part of the Car Key Memory system.. Take it to your MINI dealer to have it activated..

You can also turn on the option for the central unlock switch in the car to open the roof..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I discovered this thread while trying to troubleshoot a problem I had with my 2005 Mini Cooper Convertable. I believe it addresses the problem:

Yesterday morning, I went to go to work and discovered the top down on my Mini. I know it was up that night when I parked another car behind it. Some time between then and the time I got ready to leave, the top went down "on it's own".

After reading this, I can see that it's possible something landed on top of my key and caused the remote unlock to depress. Being held down, it then caused the convertable top to go down. I went out and verified this after reading this thread. Sure enough, it is programmed and quite possible.

It's something to think about when getting this option enabled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ref roof to go down with the key button,can be programed on some models . the local dealer told me they can only tell if it can be done when its plugged into the computer. cost quoted was £45 from both mini bristol and bath on a 08 reg

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went to my local mini garage yesterday asking about getting my key programmed on my 07 mcsc R52. They told me that the roof should open and close by putting the key in the door lock and turning. It doesn't open, but I already knew that it closes. Now they want to charge me £70 to apparently 'repair' this when I don't think the guy knows what he's talking about. I don't even get the key programmed to open the roof remotely.
Should I try a different garage or am I wasting my time..?

·
Registered
631 Posts
The roof on my 2010 Copper D opens from the key but it is such a faff.

Press to unlock the drivers door.
Press to unlock the passenger.
Press and hold to open up the sunroof.
Press and hold to fold the roof.

By the time it has opened you have stood there like a lemon for ages waiting for it to go through the motions.

I much prefer to do it from inside the car with the engine running so less strain on the battery.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
By the time it has opened you have stood there like a lemon for ages waiting for it to go through the motions.
Yeah, I always found it a waste of time as it's hard to remember not to do something like try to open the boot or a door, which cancels the roof opening. Plus if you get in the car, you can drive off and open the roof while trickling down the street.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just booked in for my keys to be programmed this time next week at my local mini garage. I have to leave it in all day. Is it really that big a job? It's also a bit strange that several days ago I went into the same garage and they said it can't be done. I guess it just depends on who you get at the service desk!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts