MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Cooper S. 77K on the clock. The service history shows an Inspection 2 was done at 54682 & again at 75775. The latter I have the receipt for which shows only oil, oil & air filters but no belt.

Done a visual inspection and a bit stumped. Can't tell if the alternator / serpentine belt is recent or not.

I have attached some pics. Any opinions greatly appreciated

Attachments

· Registered
13,570 Posts
its one of them its at mileage that its well past its best i know if it was in front of me having work done in that area with those miles a new belt would be fitted. trouble is the has internal fibres and when these stretch or and rubber goes brittle its going to happen,, add to this its not really a side of road job you will need a special tool to work the tensioner and its wheel off and inner plastics,, and the kicker is when ot does snap and they do as they have a lot more load from the drag caused by the super charger it becomes un drivable where ever it snaps its stays there, if got AA then the 2-10 hour wait can be a pain , if have none the recovery charge on top would be a fair bit,
belt
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Contitec...946226&hash=item340bbfed78:g:~PgAAOSw8Uhc8BBx
special tool
sods law it snaps when you really need it to not snap raining pitch black middle of no where and no phone signal

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't see any cracks and no signs of slipping. But I am going err on the side of caution and replace it. Its our 2nd car but we've both fallen in love with it and the little boy loves it too - it currently gets used more than our main car. Aim is to keep her going as long as possible until any repair bills can't be justified.

I would like to do it myself, videos/guides make sense. Time, British weather and lack of suitable work space is a bit of a concern. Although half tempted to have a belt and tool 'just incase'. And quotes come in around £50-100 (parts& labour) which seems pretty reasonable to me.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's the thing... I am not confident the belt has only done 21,000 miles. Although I did notice 2015 stamp on the belt (see pic). Wondered if it's date of manufacture or just random.

Auto part

Nonetheless, one to monitor and prepare to get done.

· Registered
2 Posts
If the 54000 mile service was done at a main dealer then the belt would have been changed, because this is part of the recommended servicing schedule which main dealers must follow. However, an independent garage may have just inspected it or left it for next time.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
I just changed my belt which had only been on for about 3k miles, but only because it was squeaking on startup for a couple of minutes. Sounded like a dry pulley, but it was the belt. Made no difference to how it performed, just tediuos and annying. They rarely fail - especially on a road car that is used for just general driving. And the back (at the idler pulley) is shiny new - depending what make belt it is - so that isn't really a tell tale TBH. Belt (Dayco) cost £13.72 from Euro Car Parts. I have a belt tool, but didn't DIY it. My MINI R53 man charged me £25 to do that and change the two front grills to an aftermarket one. So £100 seems a bit steep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.