MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the near future I will be looking to improve the performance of my '57 mcs. Besides the things such as a remap, miltek downpipe + exhaust, better air filter etc, is there much improvement to be gained from other options?

Eg, larger intercooler, samco hose kit and anything else anyone has experience of?

On the handling side do things such as Eibach anti roll bars, stronger bushes etc make much difference to a car that will only be used on the road?

Thanks in anticipation........

·
MINI2 Regular
3,726 Posts
intercooler will certainly help. Forge do a bigger intercooler for the R56. im not too sure on the samco hose kits, i think you would notice more of a difference if you were tracking it.

another think to upgrade is your sparkplugs - iridium NGKs seem to be everyones favorite round here.

anti roll bars will make a bit of a difference on country road driving. but imo i would just stick to upper/lower & rear strut braces.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Forge intercooler

Samco hose set to remove the restricting valves. Have a word with 1320/lohen and they'll sort you out :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Advice much appreciated. Car is booked into Lohen on Thursday for brakes so will have a chat with them....thanks again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Forge intercooler

Samco hose set to remove the restricting valves. Have a word with 1320/lohen and they'll sort you out :D
Advice much appreciated. Car is booked into Lohen on Thursday for brakes so will have a chat with them....thanks again.
Let us know what you go for. I’ve been doing some research for my own R56S and the best way seems to be the Intercooler. Apparently the turbo is rated up to about 205hp and then you’ve got the additional stress on the clutch.
Intercooler should take you up to about 190hp and then a bit of room to play with.
I want to do Intercooler, hoses, itg foam filter and struts, maybe a remap if recommended

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Let us know what you go for. I’ve been doing some research for my own R56S and the best way seems to be the Intercooler. Apparently the turbo is rated up to about 205hp and then you’ve got the additional stress on the clutch.
Intercooler should take you up to about 190hp and then a bit of room to play with.
I want to do Intercooler, hoses, itg foam filter and struts, maybe a remap if recommended
my last cooper s was decat on factory turbo was rolling roaded 206bhp at wheels i also used better than factory piston rings with 3 piece oil rings these are so much better than the single oil ring type, i also used max size head gasket reduce the compression slightly ran standard exhaust and air filter,
the trouble is the conrods wont stand must more power and will bend if force to much.. so before going next level really should be forged then a higher boost turbo and bigger intercooler,, my old one i also raised the rev limiter by 500 revs so just pushes the vanos longer at higher revs... before i sold it i put it back standard and fitted new cat and 02 sensors as well,, as did not want any come back at mot time,
best handling upgrade is 18 ich 45 profile and as wide as can get away with and bin the runflats tyres as well,, koni are good brand set of adjustable all around with rebound and bump setting and spring rates that still give some movement and control the movement with the shocks always best way forward for road use,

·
Registered
107 Posts
my last cooper s was decat on factory turbo was rolling roaded 206bhp at wheels i also used better than factory piston rings with 3 piece oil rings these are so much better than the single oil ring type, i also used max size head gasket reduce the compression slightly ran standard exhaust and air filter,
the trouble is the conrods wont stand must more power and will bend if force to much.. so before going next level really should be forged then a higher boost turbo and bigger intercooler,, my old one i also raised the rev limiter by 500 revs so just pushes the vanos longer at higher revs... before i sold it i put it back standard and fitted new cat and 02 sensors as well,, as did not want any come back at mot time,
best handling upgrade is 18 ich 45 profile and as wide as can get away with and bin the runflats tyres as well,, koni are good brand set of adjustable all around with rebound and bump setting and spring rates that still give some movement and control the movement with the shocks always best way forward for road use,
Best advice, thanks! Yeah this one came with run flats, I’ve had one without and it was so much smoother, although I don’t overly mind the run flats. It jumps a lot! Had the thing on the rails round the mountains in wales.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What would you do if you didn’t want to improve the power so much as reinforce the engine and reasonably simple or cost effective?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have eibach front sway bar,I have a lower engine mount bushing that comes with the metal tab, but I used another lower engine mount bushing and took the metal tab from the first kit(I replaced the passenger engine mount upper. Then I changed my a arms and got the revised version A arm with the shorter post that fits into the a arm bushing. Then I bought powerflex a arm and superpro front bushings. I took the rubber washers(two on for each a arm) from the powerflex a arm kit; then installed the superpro kit using the washers over the welds for the posts and cap it of with the plastic tips from superpros kit.
I went to a custom u.s.a. manufacturer of brakes and bought drilled and slotted asymmetrical front brake rotors so it does not pull to the side when braking. Red stuff pads.
On the back end I pressed in powerflex lateral bushings eight total and trailing arm bushings powerflex. I have a hotchkis rear sway bar and bilstien B6 hd shocks non adjustable. I can turn a right angle 90 degree's at 45mph with only a little swoosh in rear. I can adjust that though. hotchkis is three way ajustable i have mine in middle I should put it at the tightest sense I have the front sway bar also but I don't.
You feel every bump. On the highway though it is awsome. with regular mini tires it's alright in town. I have 18inch wheels mini from germany I use for vacation and out of town. on the highway there is no more worries after passing a car crossing the white line into the right lane or anything! There is no more problems with any type of crosswinds either on the highway anymore at all!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have eibach front sway bar,I have a lower engine mount bushing that comes with the metal tab, but I used another lower engine mount bushing and took the metal tab from the first kit(I replaced the passenger engine mount upper. Then I changed my a arms and got the revised version A arm with the shorter post that fits into the a arm bushing. Then I bought powerflex a arm and superpro front bushings. I took the rubber washers(two on for each a arm) from the powerflex a arm kit; then installed the superpro kit using the washers over the welds for the posts and cap it of with the plastic tips from superpros kit.
I went to a custom u.s.a. manufacturer of brakes and bought drilled and slotted asymmetrical front brake rotors so it does not pull to the side when braking. Red stuff pads.
On the back end I pressed in powerflex lateral bushings eight total and trailing arm bushings powerflex. I have a hotchkis rear sway bar and bilstien B6 hd shocks non adjustable. I can turn a right angle 90 degree's at 45mph with only a little swoosh in rear. I can adjust that though. hotchkis is three way ajustable i have mine in middle I should put it at the tightest sense I have the front sway bar also but I don't.
You feel every bump. On the highway though it is awsome. with regular mini tires it's alright in town. I have 18inch wheels mini from germany I use for vacation and out of town. on the highway there is no more worries after passing a car crossing the white line into the right lane or anything! There is no more problems with any type of crosswinds either on the highway anymore at all!
I don’t see how anyone thinks the car understeers that badly, I always lose people on the corners. Although 45mph right angle sounds fun. I’ve had the back end out on wet roundabouts- lots of fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts