MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation. I placed an order for an 05 S back at the beginning of September ( BRG/B, all 3 packages, HK upgrade). So I've been tracking it's progress on line for the past ~2 months. It wasn't until it was on a ship (or at least at the port) that any of the car details were updated. Only basic info was available before then (VIN, color, model), and it was listed as BRG. So everything seemed fine by me. However, when all the details were finally available I noticed that is had listed "Body color mirror caps". Odd, I thought, maybe they changed the way they're doing things or maybe it's a glitch in their system.

Well, today I got a call from my MA saying my car should be there shortly (a day or so), we talk a little bit about financing (don't even start with me about that) and then ask him. "I noticed in the tracking information that it says I'm getting body color mirror caps, is that normal now?". Turns out someone (not my MA) [expletive deleted] up the order at the dealer (at it seems said party is no longer with the company). So needless to say I'm not at all happy with the situation. They have offered to fix the problem (get the roof painted black) but I don't know if I really want that. But then again I don't feel like waiting another 2 months for a proper car. Waiting for a new one would be slightly less of a problem (think nano-meter slight) if I had a working car of my own at this point. Currently my car (not a Mini) is parked on the road at home and needing a new CV joint.

So anyone have any ideas on what to do? I'm going to go up to the dealer this weekend and take a look at the car before I make any kind of decision.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
CmdrVimes said:
So anyone have any ideas on what to do? I'm going to go up to the dealer this weekend and take a look at the car before I make any kind of decision.
Good idea.

Personally, in your situation, I know I'd wait on the right car and ask for a LOT of compensation in terms of free stuff, but then again, that's just my personality!

Take a look, take a deep breath, and see what you think of it. I'm sure the dealer/their body shop can do a first class spray job if that's what you decide, but if you go that route insist you want to inspect the finished work BEFORE you agree to buy it.

·
Motoring since 8/4/04 :)
553 Posts
I think BRG/BGR looks great. Take the car and make the dealer give you some kind of compensation in accessories. (free mats, roof graphic, new mirror caps.)

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
As with the others.

I'd be extremely upset if my order was messed up. However I would not want to wait again, and as Paul said I'm sure they would do a proper job with the re-spray which would always be backed up by the paint warranty anyway.

Be cheeky and say you're meet them half way and just pay half the cost!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I was offered free accessories. I think this might call for getting the R90 tires, but this might be over stepping the bounds of free stuff. But then again, they did drastically screw up my car. Like I said, I'm going to the dealership this weekend, so I guess I'll see what they're willing to offer me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The nice thing with mirror caps, they are easily replaceable... As for the roof, I would tell them you'll bring it back to get it done after a few weeks, but you want a loaner MINI during the time... The paint was messed up on mine when I took delivery, I took it back after 3 weeks to get it fixed, and the gave me a MC40 to drive in the meantime... It was actually nice to have a loaner for a bit becasue I got to test the car (and my) limits when driving... something I probally would have not done in my baby...

·
Lovin my iPod
1,935 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
Good idea.

Personally, in your situation, I know I'd wait on the right car and ask for a LOT of compensation in terms of free stuff, but then again, that's just my personality!

Take a look, take a deep breath, and see what you think of it. I'm sure the dealer/their body shop can do a first class spray job if that's what you decide, but if you go that route insist you want to inspect the finished work BEFORE you agree to buy it.
Paul giving some top advice here, nothing more I'd add.
G :ibblack:

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
You're lucky your dealer told you - I'm sure others would just simply re-spray the roof and change over the wing mirror caps - let's face it that's all that happens in the factory anyway.

Have you got the sunroof? If so the amount they would need to paint is small anyway.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grings said:
You're lucky your dealer told you - I'm sure others would just simply re-spray the roof and change over the wing mirror caps - let's face it that's all that happens in the factory anyway.
oh, I wasn't told, I noticed the "body color mirror caps" listed on my tracking page on the OL. So based on that when I was talking to my MA that day I asked why that was, he tracked it down to the car being completely BRG.

Grings said:
Have you got the sunroof? If so the amount they would need to paint is small anyway.
Yes, I did get the sunroof, so there would be considerably less painting to be done. However, I think it may be a slightly tougher paint job to have to deal with a sunroof.

either way, I haven't made any decision yet. I'm going to see the car tomorrow and see what they're willing to do about it.

*notices avatar graphic* (BRG S, not BRG/B)
I don't think I set it to that. Is someone screwing with me now?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the exact opposite of youre situation. My original MC purchase was BRG/BRG w Sunfoof and Body coloured mirrors. The dealership screwed up the block heater install and to make a long story short i ended up requesting a new car. So i got a BRG with white roof/caps (off the lot/no wait time).
Yeah it's not what i wanted but i can't see the roof colour from inside anyhow. Go take a look and you'll prob. love it just as much if you can get over the feeling that you got jammed by the proccess

·
Registered
43 Posts
post ex facto

Sorry to hear about the mess up! :bad: I hope things can be fixed to your satisfaction.

But if anyone else is concerned about their custom order and it's not in production yet, ask to see or confirm the actual order that was placed. The dealership can check the order online in seconds and let you know what is ordered. If you are at the dealership, you can see the screen for yourself, or they can print it out for you.

My MA (go Jessica!) was kind enough to verify at several points during the waiting period; as we all have found out the Owners' Lounge is in a time warp, until it's in production. :eek:

hey,
duard​

·
I can't spell
2,856 Posts
You can also get the full spec of the car by calling 1866ASKMINI. that's what I did when all the details weren't listed on the owners lounge.

·
Shiredweller's Wife
2,732 Posts
lukebuzzy said:
I think BRG/BGR looks great. Take the car and make the dealer give you some kind of compensation in accessories. (free mats, roof graphic, new mirror caps.)
Agree. Take car as is. Squeeze a bunch of extras out of them. [shoot for the wheels] Say you will bring it back in a few weeks to have painted. Live with it a few weeks and you may grow to love it like it is. If not, you've still got the free paint job coming.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, here's the resolution.
Roof painted black (and spoiler). Invisishield installed no cost to me.
They weren't all that willing to wheel and deal, probably because they knew they could have the car sold within a week for MSRP.
I'm not too terribly mad about what I got out the deal. They are going to provide a warranty for the paint on the roof because the manufacturer's warranty doesn't cover it (I will make sure I get it in writing). I did say something rather dumb though, when I mentioned that I'd like the invisishield I mentioned that I was looking at getting it anyway (I knew I shouldn't have said it the instant it left my mouth), but I got it anyway.
Going in Saturday morning to take car of the final paperwork and pick up the car. I still technically got it earlier than my MA had estimated (he estimated November).

·
You are number 6
5,267 Posts
CmdrVimes said:
well, here's the resolution.
Roof painted black (and spoiler). Invisishield installed no cost to me.
They weren't all that willing to wheel and deal, probably because they knew they could have the car sold within a week for MSRP.
I'm not too terribly mad about what I got out the deal. They are going to provide a warranty for the paint on the roof because the manufacturer's warranty doesn't cover it (I will make sure I get it in writing). I did say something rather dumb though, when I mentioned that I'd like the invisishield I mentioned that I was looking at getting it anyway (I knew I shouldn't have said it the instant it left my mouth), but I got it anyway.
Going in Saturday morning to take car of the final paperwork and pick up the car. I still technically got it earlier than my MA had estimated (he estimated November).
Glad you got it resolved, I'm sure you'll be happy with the car, have fun. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.