MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear window visibility is a real problem for me. I do not have the sensors so backing up is not good. My MINI dealer said they cannot recommend any brand of rear view camera.

I found this one and wonder if anyone has any comments about it or another type. I know there is a MINI cam sold in Europe but not here in the US. Thanks.

www.mobilevideozone.com/product_view.aspx?product_ID=F1239D1D-E1C1-46D3-84F6-E9C3E79084B7

Other than this problem, I love my chili red MINI.

·
Registered
514 Posts
All Mini convertibles come standard with the park distance control. Double-check your rear bumper - you should see the 4 little circles used by the park distance control. Perhaps your dealer didn't set the volume properly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
don't have Park Distance Control

This is listed in my manual as a special option which I did not get on my car. If the salesperson had told me about the rear view, I would definitely have ordered it. I bought my car sight unseen as the only dealer was far away from me and I cannot travel.

I will ask the dealer if this can be installed now.
Thank you.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The manual is the same for the hard-top and the convertible Mini's so you can't go by that. All convertibles (both the regular Cooper and Cooper S) should come standard with the park distance control (PDC). If you have the convertible and you do not have the park distance control then you need to contact your dealer or perhaps call Mini USA directly.

Mini made the PDC standard on the convertible because rear visibility is limited.

If the plant forgot to put the PDC on a convertible they have a lot of explaining to do. :rolleyes:. Keep us posted.

Is there any way you can post a pic of your car along with a shot of the rear bumper?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Eliz said:
The rear window visibility is a real problem for me. I do not have the sensors so backing up is not good. My MINI dealer said they cannot recommend any brand of rear view camera.

I found this one and wonder if anyone has any comments about it or another type. I know there is a MINI cam sold in Europe but not here in the US. Thanks.

www.mobilevideozone.com/product_view.aspx?product_ID=F1239D1D-E1C1-46D3-84F6-E9C3E79084B7

Other than this problem, I love my chili red MINI.
I have an official MINI rear-view camera sitting here waiting to be installed in my MINI (it hooks into the MINI's navigation computer and displays a full color view of the rear of the car each time the car is put into reverse). The only problem is that I no longer have my 05 MCS and so I have to wait to install it on my replacement 05 MCS once it arrives in February.

Thus, if you have a factory sat nav system in your MINI, then you might want to look into the MINI rear-view camera retrofit kit for it (it's a bit pricey though).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tell us new and prospective buyers of the this rear view camera. I would be interested if one is available with record sound and extra option mounts, plus extended memory. I'm asking for security reasons. My vehicle I own now was busted into for nothing, but with loss of my only registration and proof of insurance. I had a piggy bank and a check book in the car but it wasn't seen and often not overnight a 3000 dollar fiddle in there.
I've been stopped and ticketed by a policeman who wasn't a policeman before he ticketed me. My dang licence plate light was out, I didn't know it was illegal. He sat there for 10 min. so I unlocked my seat belts, got my drivers license from my jeans, opened the door and waited on him. I got out of my car before he hand me the ticket. Going to his seated place in his vehicle I asked him question why I was ticketed. I guess I was a bit 'tweety bird' him. LOL I was asking him why I was getting a ticket. ect. right out of Warner Bros. cartoons. I never contest policemen but then i did. (for some unknown reason). I got a ticket for driving with no sealt belts plus the licence plate lights out. Im so very strict about road rules: no tailgating, safe speed, be curtious, help the traffic in jamms, don't swerv to pass the hogs on the interstates and freeways,ect.
Im a slowbe and i pull over even but I have to admitt I have sent a few redbirds out the windshield before and gone so slow as have atleast a dozen behind me on a country road out of spite. Oh well.
I was trying to be nice and was waiting for his wife, the driver, of the this later to be county deputy, to make the turn in a local gas station. I was talking to myself in the car. They took the hint and he was enthrolled into rage. Got out and chased me in the store with threats. None of his business what i was saying in that car then. I mean a brut and the silly sissy story this was. I ran as usual. I've stood up to 30 and 40 bullies in my back yard before. But I ran in the store. I just wanted a cup of coffee.
A day after I gottin my ticket I remembered this guy was the dude who ran me into a convienent store to which I made the manager to let me in the office and we called the city police. Im a little fiddle player so I can get be beat up by a big rusky looking mad man. I told the police I didnt care about charges as did the store clerck. Go our own way. Well low and behold my scary night with the policeman. I said something about him being a road bully and threating to beat me up before he was an offficer and the court clerks desk before paying the fine. The sheriff was there as well but guess what his office had jail beating and manslaughter charges on them by the federal courts. Get my drift. I got scared of him real bad. So I'd like to know about the camera for tweety birds sake. Hey Mini cooper fans.

Ect Ect Id just like to know if such is available. I feel so much safer and self assured with one. I don't drive in fear i drive alive and for others lives.

Be helpful to us mini fans. Im still a wanta be but faithful and waiting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Private car cam are good to have

The rest of my story. He was at a corner on a side road out of town where he could see directly into the drivers window directly on them. I had my seatbelt on as I always do. I had just come from a on the dock fiddle performance where I go often on warm days of the year to play irish and old time fiddle music.
He saw me with my seatbelt on. I was thinking I knew he had seen me with it on. I was not speeding, drinking, smoking anything at all. Nothing but going home, happily home.
After the question i asked him, like: how come you don't stop them. There went a car with no taillights or anything and a licences in the rear windshield.
I argued a lil bit where I had my seatbelt on. And i did. He gave me the ticket outside of both cars. And I said he was a jerk. Oh well.
He cornered me against my auto. I said I just want to go home officer. "You dont talk to me like that. ect. He was waiting for anything since he was on his police cam and it could be used against him too. But it was so scary. Very scary. He let me go and I went home.
CAR CAMERAS are Good for private owners. Period. No matter.

Help us selllers and consumers and just caring folks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts