MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to put in my order for MCSC but have two questions I was hoping people could give me feedback on. I am going with Cool Blue, w/ black top, gray space cloth interior w/ cool blue interior trim. Inside it will have the chrome package.

My first question is has anybody seen the chrome exterior pkg on Cool blue? I like the chrome grill and hinges but not sure I would like the chrome mirrors. It doesn't look like I can get chrome boot hinges w/o chrome mirrors. Any pics of the mirrors w/ cb would be helpful.

My second question - is the ride w/ 17" too firm? Right now my 02 MC has 16" but no sport suspension. I am very happy with how she drives. I love the bullits but I am concerned that the ride will be too firm. Any feedback on 16" vs. 17" ride is appreciated.

thx in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is the exact combination that I ordered. I am not getting the exterior chrome and I am sticking with 16" V-spoke wheels. From what I have read, the 17" run-flat tires can be pretty bumpy and there is alot of unsprung weight in the standard 17" wheels. I am going to get normal tires as soon as possible. I test drove an MCS with normal 17" tires and the ride wasn't too bad. But I am coming from an S2000 and it has a pretty jarring ride.

·
Looking good in MOC
141 Posts
Here are some pics of my cool blue one with exterior and interior chrome. I don't have the chrome boot hindges or door mirrors as i don't personally like them. The ride can be a little firm on the 17"s but only really when going over speed bumps or a really un-even surface. All other times i find the ride better than it was in my focus on 15"s. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for all the good information (and obvious good taste in choosing Cool Blue ;) )

The pics posted will definitely help my better half and I make the final decision on chrome mirrors before placing the order.

JPit, what will you do for a spare w/o runflats? I got away from run flats on my MC but figured they did away with the micro spare in the drop top. Am I mistaken? If so, then I'll probably go with 17" and put P Zero Nero's on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got used to driving the S2000 without the spare but kept a can of tire repair in the trunk.
In that car if one of the back tires became flat, you had to take off the front tire, put it on the back and put the mini spare up front (all this because of the LSD). Most people just called a flat bed to haul it away. It is a little risky with the Mini but the ride is much better with good performance tires.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here are my some of my favorite CB convertible pics, found in a german MINI forum.
I get my own CB convertible in two weeks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cool Blue MCSC just recieved

Hello,
Just got my car last week.
I went with Cool blue, blue roof, blue leather, anthracite interior, chrome interior.
I've seen many other combos, there's all ( mostly) great, so no right or wrong, just personal choices:
- interior color: I had silver on my tin roof, and loved the dash ( it brightened the inside look) but didn't care for doors ( oval design is too complicated, busy, and silver makes it stand out even more. I don't care for cool blue inside, color is pearlescent on outside, and effect on interior panels seems different.. plus a bit dark, and body color painted metal dash never projected best look for me in previous cars.
Also didn't love the "swirly alloy" look.
So went with Anthracite by default. Turns out it looks great. The car is not huge, and some of interior is busy to begin with, so minimizing some of the contrast was effective for me.

- chrome: did the inside, which is nice detail set off by anthracite.
Did not do the outside. I don't think back hinges are that attractive, and they become more noticeable when chromed, so body color works. The mirrors look OK in all combos, but they're a bit large compared to the car, so left them body color. I think the Checker board mirrors are cool, but again, personal taste.

- wheels: I stuck to 16 " for 2 reason: comfort first, because knowing the S has no spare, the run flats are quite stiff. Had them in my Cooper, and with sport suspension rides like old Morgan! But also read on MINI2 that most cars raced in UK keep 16 inch rather go larger, so figured wasn't loosing any performance. And yes, large wheels look cool, but won't be looking much from the driver seat. By the way, I picked the all season tire, which comes with X spoke, and I love them. The sport tire comes with 5 Star spoke which is also nice, I had those on my Cooper.

Good luck, and in the end the car is meant to please one person only !! ( OK, maybe 2 :) )
:) :D :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mini CVT,

Thanks for your feedback. Glad to hear anthracite looks good inside and that it isn't too dark.

I think I will stick w/ 16" which is what I had on my MC as well (but w/o sport suspension). I like the ride comfort for the most part. Which run flats did you get (I can't keep track of which tires are the all season :p ).

I think I may have to thumb wrestle w/ my better half on the exterior chrome and interior trim. I am leaning toward non-chrome mirrors and anthracite inside but she's in the other camp. Good thing is either way it should be fantatic.

Thanks again to everybody who has posted pics and comments. I'll have to post pics in a couple of months when the car arrives -- I can't believe my dealer said I could have the car in 8-10 weeks!!! I was sure it would be several months. ;)

:indi:

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
With things like chrome packs it's good to know that you can add or remove them later if you really want to without too much fuss. The anthracite should look nice with the cool blue. I've been told the Cool Blue is a girly colour (recently had a Cool Blue S Convertible for a week to play with, I mean review...) but I think it's a nice colour, and quite unisex really.

:)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
With things like chrome packs it's good to know that you can add or remove them later if you really want to without too much fuss. The anthracite should look nice with the cool blue. I've been told the Cool Blue is a girly colour (recently had a Cool Blue S Convertible for a week to play with, I mean review...) but I think it's a nice colour, and quite unisex really.

:)
Definitely not girly!! I love mine!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks to all

I really appreciate the feedback and info I received during this decision. I (we?) have decided on the following:

Cool Blue, black roof, space gray cloth interior, cool blue interior trim with interior and exterior chrome packages, and 16" V spoke w/ all season run flats. The order went to the dealer today and he said 10-12 weeks for delivery.

All of the comments and pics really helped my wife and I settle on the final configuration. Hopefully it will show up as our Chrismas present to ourselves. We may look odd cruising top down in mid-winter but that's what seat heaters are for right? :)

I will miss my 02 MC, but I'm so looking forward to the HP increase and the benefits of topless driving.

:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Another CB Cabrio S On Order

My order is in at MINI of Towson. Hoping for a Thanksgiving delivery but not optimistic. Went with blue leather and blue top, all three packages plus UGDO. Plan to buy an armrest, windblocker, and rear fog light. Looking for a decent deal on all three accessories. Anyone know of a dealer giving at least a 20% discount for BMWCCA members? Thanks.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seats

Think about other seats!
You spec is almost perfect, but your seats look cheap.
Hmm. I haven't seen the cloth seats except in pictures. I was thinking that the leather or vinyl seats can get really hot on the bum in the summer when the top's down (hate to hear the kids scream :p). I figured the cloth wouldn't get so hot.

I may have to rethink this in the name of fashion :D

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
I have the part black leather and octagon cloth sports seats in my MCC....

Over here they are standard in our chilli pack. Suit the car really well!!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Too many choices :)

Man, oh man, this is driving me crazy :D

I just came across some pics of the cool blue w/ lapis blue interior and cool blue trim and I really like it. I thought it would be too much blue w/ different shades but it's sweet. Unfortunately in the States, we can only get the space gray cloth and not the darker black cloth interior.

Now I have to question the choise of the ragtop -- stick w/ black or add more blue to the car?

Life was so much simpler in 02 when I knew IB/W w/ black interior was the way to go :):)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Now I have to question the choise of the ragtop -- stick w/ black or add more blue to the car?
I've ordered the black roof and I'm 100% sure that this is the right choice.
The roof is exactly the point where it would get too much blue.
The black roof adds the missing contrast to it all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts