MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
kgouin
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilemma: I am picking up my new 05 MC this Thursday. I also have a Ford Ranger and a Daewoo Nubira. I was going to get snow tires for the MINI for driving in the winter and give my niece my Daewoo as her first car (she gets her license in December). The Daewoo needs some control arms and the brakes may need replacing. I was thinking for the price of snow tires, I could fix the Daewoo and drive it in the winter. The Daewoo drives OK in the snow but not the best I have driven. Do all of you MINI owners think that the MINIs drive better in the snow then other vehicles you have driven? Do you think I should fix the Daewoo or just give it to my niece (she would pay for fixing it if she gets it now)? The other problem is my boyfriend also has two vehicles and I have a 2 car garage but the other vehicles are basically parked in the fire department parking lot even though they are parked against my property. I have a very small yard and a very small driveway that is actually mine. I was going to park the Ranger in the backyard for the winter. I won't drive that in the winter because it is rear wheel drive. It would be rough parking 5 vehicles where I live. Thanks for any opinions!

·
Registered
922 Posts
In my opinion:

You should have neither a Ranger nor a Daewoo, no one should.

Do you need a Ranger in the yard in the winter? Are you worried about poachers?

Let your niece buy her own death trap.

Bush is a madman.

Brussels sprouts suck.

Dogs are better than cats.

Yes for propostition 231.

Change that lipstick color, it isn't working for you.

A 1993 Ford F250 Heavy Duty is much better to drive in the snow than a MINI Cooper.

My girlfriend's cat is evil and we are all in great peril.

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of being set on fire.

My Aunt Anna was a lousy cook but a great story teller.

Yellow is the best color for a MINI Cooper S.

Oral rocks!

Bruce Springsteen's older stuff was better.

MOT 2005 should be on the Solstice, during Bike Week.

Autumn is the bestest season.

Deep and slow is better than hard and fast.

I'd much rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Is that enough opinions for you?

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Last winter I had to get my car out, and move my roomate's ranger from behind me, then back in the driveway. This took over an HOUR to do such a simple task! The ranger simply would not go up the slight slope of the driveway, just its own length. Yikes, it is NOT made for the snow.

My guess is the MINI will actually do better than the Daewoo in the snow. If you want, get some snow tires on cheap steel wheels for it, and it will be awesome in the snow. I can't imagine the daewoo being safe, good at handling, responsive to your controls, or really good for anything. :)

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
ice said:
In my opinion:
Deep and slow is better than hard and fast.
This presumably is a suggestion for winter driving - take it slow through the deep stuff instead of speeding through the ruts?

The MINI is happy in the snow so long as it is not the plough. Drive only the MINI Kelly and you will be happy too!

·
wherever you go...
1,617 Posts
1 - If you plan to drive the MINI in the winter, snows make a huge difference, and with them it's a great winter car.

2 - Daewoo would have been more successful if they had named it Whoababe.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I knew a girl named Daewoo Nubira once. She had a roomate named Nicolina Purvinich. She may have had an uncle who was a Forest Ranger.......

Sell the Ranger, the Asian car, and your boyfriend. Get snows/steelies for your MINI and use the rest of the cash to spend Feb. and March in Key West.

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
There's lots of snow in Barre.
Sell your boy friend into white slavery with the Asian Ranger traders, sell the Daewoo and Ranger to a sleazy Worcester used car dealer, spend the proceeds on a big beer bash for all your new Uncles (Uncle John, Uncle Ian, Uncle Steve, Uncle Brad, Uncle Richard, Uncle Josh, etc.)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Seriously, you shouldn't give the Daewoo to your niece if she doesn't have the money to fix the car. That could be a doomed gift to do so.

Once you'll get your MC you won't want to drive your other cars anymore, so maybe snow tires are a good idea :D

About the lack of parking space, I'm curious to know what kind of cars your boyfriend have?

:red: :red:

·
kgouin
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I am going to give my niece the Daewoo. My brother is actually going to pay to have it fixed. It has been very reliable until now and I have had it for 4 years. My niece was going to get a 1994 Saturn that has 200,000 miles on it and needs wheel bearings or something. I feel better with driving the Daewoo because it has always been maintained and I guess you can get parts for it now. As far as the Ranger, I love that little truck! It is great for when I need to carry bigger things or go grocery shopping.

Sushi, my boyfriend has a 1978 Tbird (I hate that thing!) and a 1999 Ford F250 with the big contractors box thing that covers the whole bed.

·
Registered
922 Posts
kgouin said:
Thanks everyone. I am going to give my niece the Daewoo. My brother is actually going to pay to have it fixed. It has been very reliable until now and I have had it for 4 years. My niece was going to get a 1994 Saturn that has 200,000 miles on it and needs wheel bearings or something. I feel better with driving the Daewoo because it has always been maintained and I guess you can get parts for it now. As far as the Ranger, I love that little truck! It is great for when I need to carry bigger things or go grocery shopping.

Sushi, my boyfriend has a 1978 Tbird (I hate that thing!) and a 1999 Ford F250 with the big contractors box thing that covers the whole bed.
Why ask for opinions and then adopt a diametrically opposed stance?

I have just formed a few more opinions.

·
kgouin
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't mean to offend anyone ice and I am sorry if I did. :( It seems the majority of people say that the MINI with snowtires is the way to go. I have never driven a MINI in the snow so I wanted opinions on whether or not I should drive it in the winter or just fix my other car and drive that in the winter. Thanks again!

·
heh...lame
2,422 Posts
Don't let ice bother you...you'll understand when you meet him. It's just he's got this damn evil cat and all...

Steve, am I too young to be an uncle? :( Or did you just forget? :(

·
Registered
922 Posts
kgouin said:
I didn't mean to offend anyone ice and I am sorry if I did. :( It seems the majority of people say that the MINI with snowtires is the way to go. I have never driven a MINI in the snow so I wanted opinions on whether or not I should drive it in the winter or just fix my other car and drive that in the winter. Thanks again!
Who's offended? I am teasing you. :D

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
kgouin said:

Once again sanity and reason preside over mayhem and insanity. You are a smart woman to ignore us. I respect that.
Don't worry, you didn't hurt Uncle Brad's (ice) feelings. You just don't know him well enough yet! Check out his other ramblings and you will see what I mean.

·
Retired and relaxed
5,371 Posts
pezboy said:
Steve, am I too young to be an uncle? :( Or did you just forget? :(
You hadn't responded to the thread yet so I couldn't include you. You are a bit young to be an Uncle but we aren't doing nephews and cousins so I have decided to allow you entry into the secret society of mini uncles. Welcome, Uncle Jared. May the sauce be with you.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Yo, Kelly,

Welcome to the Land of the Thick-Skinned Morons. None of us would qualify as Intelligence Czar and, I think, the majority would decline the job if offered. We have suggested Agent Smart but GW is falling of a trike somewhere in the Rattlesnake Hills and we haven't heard back. Ice is a pleasant sort of chap if one likes puff adders;)

Uncle Jared............now that has a tinny ring to it. Why am I still looking at the gorgeosous Susan losing it in a bucket?????

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
12 Participants
bakerjc
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing