MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is shell optimax far better than other hi-performance fuels? Tried Esso performance fuel and my cooper just didnt drive as good? Same applies to Texaco stuff! Think i'll stick to shell optimax from now onwards! :)

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
Optimax is the only 98 RON fuel currently available in the UK. Since the MCS (and other cars) only works at 95 RON settings OR 98 RON settings putting in 97 RON fuel is pointless-although the detergent in fancy fuels may have some effect. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
rentagas said:
Optimax is the only 98 RON fuel currently available in the UK. Since the MCS (and other cars) only works at 95 RON settings OR 98 RON settings putting in 97 RON fuel is pointless-although the detergent in fancy fuels may have some effect. :)
LMAO - It doesn't ONLY work at 95 Ron and 98 Ron - the ECU will adjust for fuel grades between these two points. I still can't work out whether or not Optimax really is better or it's just one of those things your mind tricks you into. Look how much smoother your car runs and how much faster it is just after a good session of washing and waxing.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Used it for the first time a couple of days ago and to my amazment within a couple of miles of the petrol station my mpg jumped up a mile straight off. Pretty impressive as it had been constant for the hours journey before I filled up.

Trouble is the Shell garage is so far away I waste petrol/money just getting there! My Mini does seem to run alot smoother and to be even more lively since but like andyupnorth says i'm not sure if it's all in my head, as mine also runs better after a wash :D

·
Now answering to Lady J!
10,271 Posts
I virtually only ever use Opitmax (only use anything else if really no choice). My dad and brother swear by it and have been told my Cooper seems faster than most (this was by someone who sells them for a living) and I can only put this down to Optimax. I don't know my mpg as no OBC but as long as I either get better mpg or better performance then thats fine by me. Had my MC for 21 months and only done 8500 miles so figure it's not costing me that much to put premium fuel in the car.

As someone in a previous thread said - its like Smirnoff Vodka opposed to supermarket own!!

·
There is no spoon
179 Posts
wildchild jules said:
I virtually only ever use Opitmax (only use anything else if really no choice). My dad and brother swear by it and have been told my Cooper seems faster than most (this was by someone who sells them for a living) and I can only put this down to Optimax. I don't know my mpg as no OBC but as long as I either get better mpg or better performance then thats fine by me. Had my MC for 21 months and only done 8500 miles so figure it's not costing me that much to put premium fuel in the car.

As someone in a previous thread said - its like Smirnoff Vodka opposed to supermarket own!!
21 months and 8500 miles , oo if only. I'm up to 60K after 2 an half years, on mine. I fear the engine needs a good scrub after the old asda and tesco muck I have been putting in it.

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
I would be interested to know:

a) how the engine knows what fuel it has?-quite clearly it does
b) how many programmes are built into the ECU for fuels of different grades-the ECU has essentially a matrix of fuel/air mixtures for rpm etc. and clearly the variation with RON cannot be continuous.
I have two petrol cars. A Golf which staes it has a two state ECU for 95/98 RON and an MCSC works which JC say should have 98 RON fuel ie Optimax to get the best performance. Is there any suggestion in the handbook or elsewhere that 97 RON gives better performance that 95 RON in the MCS =/-works?-I can only see references to 98 RON being better than 95 RON
I have to say I am confused by andy's comments and would be grateful for his expert elaboration

·
V8Bruiser
29 Posts
The ECU receives a signal from the Knock Sensor (detonation sensor) and adjusts the timing and fuelling accordingly on a look-up basis. The lower the grade of fuel the less advance is applied so the system will deal with any grade in the given range.

B

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
andyupnorth said:
LMAO - It doesn't ONLY work at 95 Ron and 98 Ron - the ECU will adjust for fuel grades between these two points. I still can't work out whether or not Optimax really is better or it's just one of those things your mind tricks you into. Look how much smoother your car runs and how much faster it is just after a good session of washing and waxing.
Oh and WTF does LMAO stand for :)

·
Half a dent
1,413 Posts
soopercharger said:
The ECU receives a signal from the Knock Sensor (detonation sensor) and adjusts the timing and fuelling accordingly on a look-up basis. The lower the grade of fuel the less advance is applied so the system will deal with any grade in the given range.

B
The ECU uses a look up matrix to decide on timings/mixtures. is their one table for 98RON and one for 95 or is their one for 95, 95.1, 95.15.......
I have to say I often crawl to my local SHELL station rather than risk dilution of the good stuff with sainsbury's cheap stuff.

·
V8Bruiser
29 Posts
rentagas said:
The ECU uses a look up matrix to decide on timings/mixtures. is their one table for 98RON and one for 95 or is their one for 95, 95.1, 95.15.......
I have to say I often crawl to my local SHELL station rather than risk dilution of the good stuff with sainsbury's cheap stuff.
Dunno - You'll have to consult the software boys for that.

·
2,756 Posts
Wow, I have been only using Optimax in My 'S' down here in Australia since I got it, but people have been telling me there have been some changes to the Optimax at the oil refinery and that they all swear by the BP Ultimate.... so with the last tank, I filled up with BP Ultimate.. so far so good.

Dan

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
wildchild jules said:
I
And as I said in a previous thread, Smirnoff is like lemon juice in rubbing alcohol, used to clean carburetors. :eek:

(runs away quickly......)

:p

But, seriously, for the second-ever tank in my new Cooper, filled up with V-Power (optimax) for the first time ever. Haven't gone to Shell in the past few years. It was always BP. Well, either it was because the car was brand-spanking new for the first-ever tank, or the dealer put in the Zsolt Baumgartner special, but the second tank with V-Power was heads-and-tails more noticably better. Of course, it's probably because it was just the first tank to begin with. :confused:

·
Registered
209 Posts
For those unconvinced by using higher octane petrol I suggest adding two bottles of Nulon octane boost to half a tank of fuel (Optimax preferably) and giving it 10 miles to run through the system. If you don't notice a huge improvement in performance thereafter (I'm talking 15-25bhp) I'll eat my petrol cap.

Forget 5p a litre extra, or whatever you pay, the finest fuel will improve combustion, performance and economy whilst prolonging efficient engine life.
It's the most overlooked, easiest and most cost effective enhancement you can make.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.