MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am ordering a Mini S and need a bit of guidance about the usefulness of some of the available options.

I'm going with the sport package because I want the safety features of DSC and xenons. Along this line, I'm thinking the rear fog lamp would help with visibility, which has got to be important for a tiny car mixing it up with 53-foot semis.

On the other hand, most of my driving will be on flat, straight Florida roads. Do I really need DSS?

The BMW I just sold had cruise control, which I occasionally use, and steering controls for the radio. What's everyone's take on this option? I don't want to add all kinds of jewelry to the car which I really won't need and which has a looming potential to crap out.

I decided to eliminate the sunroof after I saw that the only thing between me and the sun -- with the sunroof shut -- is a little screen. That would be okay in a dark and often gloomy place like northern Europe, but it would be a prescription for discomfort here in Florida -- especially with global warming!

I'd certainly appreciate any comments.

rs

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Hi, and welcome to MINI2.

DSC actually stands for Dynamic Stability Control - it has the ability to apply the brake to individual wheels to help you regain control in a skid situation. It's a very clever piece of kit, and well worth having from a safety point of view.

The Mulit-Function Steering Wheel (MFSW) option combines both volume/stereo controls with cruise control - they both come with the same option. It's a desireable option to have, and potential problems with these are extremely rare.

Best of luck with your decisions, and Happy MINIing when you finally get one!! :D

Jon

·
Manic Hill-Dweller
205 Posts
I've got an '06 R53 and an '07 R56 ---- I consider myself fairly practical in my option selections...

My favorite options:
1) DSC --- you just never know when that offramp might be slippery and you'll punch your last ticktet.
2) MFSW --- Cruise control is essential for Florida driving. Long and straight; you'll be going 120 mph without cruise.
3) AT --- the AT on the R56 is quicker than the MT. Also traffic-friendly.

The xenon lights are nice but not mandatory. I'd order the DSC and xenons a la carte if you want them and shine the sport package --- the 17" wheels just increase your operating expenses.
Rear fog lights? Do you think they'll really help? C'mon. People run into EMS vehicles and trains. Buying the car in Mellow Yellow will increase your conspicuity 100 times more than those little lights (that I have on my Mellow Yellow car, btw, but not by choice).
I also prefer the solid tin-top. The moon roof on my R53 is noisey and hardly ever open.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
5,153 Posts
Very impressed witht the Xenons on mine :D

Although I've driven many cars with DSC (it's on my work car now) I find its great when you're driving a car with a lot of power and no handling to speak of (that'll be the work car again! :rolleyes: :D ). I like that car a lot, but the sloppy handling means that you have no idea when thinks are going horribly wrong and the DSC is really useful then!

I still feel a lot more secure in the MINI, without DSC, as the handling and stability is just so good (and I live where the roads are very twisty and usually extremely narrow!). DSC on a fine handling car can also be an irritation as you feel it cut in and out :( On a sloppy handling car you just can't feel when it's operating.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Very impressed witht the Xenons on mine :D

Although I've driven many cars with DSC (it's on my work car now) I find its great when you're driving a car with a lot of power and no handling to speak of (that'll be the work car again! :rolleyes: :D ). I like that car a lot, but the sloppy handling means that you have no idea when thinks are going horribly wrong and the DSC is really useful then!

I still feel a lot more secure in the MINI, without DSC, as the handling and stability is just so good (and I live where the roads are very twisty and usually extremely narrow!). DSC on a fine handling car can also be an irritation as you feel it cut in and out :( On a sloppy handling car you just can't feel when it's operating.

Totally agree on the DSC front John, I don't even have ASC+T on my Cooper, and even though I'm only putting down 135bhp I've never missed not having it. The car is extremely controllable.

However, there would just be that one occasion on a greasy road where you're carrying a bit too much momentum than you should be, where you really wished you'd ticked the box.

Get it, you can always turn it off when you want to have some fun ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts