MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recieved a lovely NIP this weekend from South Yorkshire Police, no alert from the Origin Blue at all so I thought I wasn't being lasered. I have e-mailed Origin to voice my discontent at an expensive piece of kit and have had no reply. Hello 210bhp, goodbye clean licence :mad:

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
All products such as Origin Blue i, Road Angels, Snoopers will never provide 100% protection and it would be foolish to assume otherwise.

Firstly, the database will at some stage be out of date. Secondly, if the laser alert is activated then you've got a ticket anyway. And thirdly, the database will never know the location of mobile units.

I'm not sure if this will work but when I use the handheld remote control for my VDO Dayton SatNav, it sets off the laser alert on my Valentine 1 and Road Angel. So maybe you could grab some remotes and see if it activates the OB.

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I had a Snooper S4 Neo, and it never triggered by laser either. As it could not detect mobile units I got rid of it after a few weeks, as the only thing it was any good for was fixed cameras and I already no where most of them are, and If I am having to look for mobile units I may as well look for the fixed ones. I think these units just make you more likely to get nicked, as you rely on them to scan for cameras rather than your eyes.
As for the laser detector, once the laser has hit the car to set off the detector (If it were to) you are already nicked, as the laser bounces back to the gun in a fraction of a second.

IMO I would sell the detector too cover the cost of your ticket.

Matthew

·
can i go home yet
2,568 Posts
have micro roadpilot with laser attachment and had a few triggers - love how discreet the unit is aswell

·
I LUV my MINI
117 Posts
What you really need is

a Laser Jammer also called a laser diffuser.

These work by sending out a 5sec blast of laser back at the police laser speed detector gun. It causes an error on the gun and gives you time to slow down. Unfortunately they are not legal, but hey neither were radar detectors when they first came out. You can get some good deals on Ebay. The ones I have been looking at fix straight into the Origin B2 Solo, they are the LRC100 & LE30. Prices range from £250 - £350,which seems a lot, but if you think of it long term it's not, as 3 points on your license lasts 5 years and you could be paying around £1000 premium over the 5 years on your insurance.

I'm not condoning speeding or anything, it just seems as if it's the motorist that is made to pay all the time. I think I read somewhere on one of the speed camera sites that the number of accidents caused by speeding was something like 7% and the goverment spemt 30million on a TV campaign. In reality the % of accidents caused by pedestrians was enormous, but you never see the Green Cross Code bloke anymore. Perhaps he got caught speeding and got locked up :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still no reply from origin.

The most frustrating thing is I bought this unit for laser detection. I could have bought a much cheaper unit for fixed camera location.

I was 3rd in a line of cars so I would have expected some alert from scatter off the other cars at least but it sticks in my throat that I have definately been "lasered" and no alert at all from the unit.

My insurance is already £800 with a clean licence , I dread to think what it will go up by. My Sister got caught and she is with Norwich Union and they didn't increase the premium for one SP30. I wonder if Tescos will do the same for me???

·
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS
16,430 Posts
one SP30 endorsement doesn't normally affect insurance premiums. bad luck though vron

·
I LUV my MINI
117 Posts
Hi Vron

I don't know about Tesco's, hopefully you won't get hit with a big bump up in insurance.

I have just bought an Origin B2 Solo and will have to wait before I can afford to get the additional Laser Jammer. I am definately considering one though coz the reviews I have read say they are fantastic. Just got to try and hide the diode thingy on the front so no Police officers can see it. Apparently they get errors on their guns now and again so this reduces the chance of them stopping you, especially when they no some other poor sod will be along in a few minutes to catch un-awares.

Hope your insurance doesn't get loaded, have heard quite a few ins companies don't load for the first 3 points as that many people are getting caught.

·
See you in my rear view!!
901 Posts
The only time I get laser alerts is when I go to the airport and am in sight of radars spinning around! There is also a company that sells these radars near to the A3 near New malden in Surrey and this company has radar units on the roof of the building and when they are spinning boy does my Origin go nuts! Other than that no complaints about my b2! :D

Jones! :D

·
Official Pimp of Mini2
4,001 Posts
I have a Micro Road Pilot (Thanks MiketheMini ;)) and it has a few bugs i.e. driving at night the headlights sometimes trigger the lazer but its saved me more times than any other Scanner has.. :)

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
I use both a Valentine 1 and Road Angel. Overkill I know, but I prefer to see it as a belt and braces approach.

I get more laser alerts from the V1. Those pesky coppers on motorway bridges always seem to laser me in my 530d and hardly ever in the Zafira. :rolleyes: The biggest problem in not having a GPS based system is that the V1 can't pick up Truvelos and SPECS. But the V1 tells me which camera is actually switched on. It's amazing the number of dummy cameras that are placed on the roadworks on the M11 and A12. :D

·
bepmoc-er
265 Posts
dietcokeplease said:
I use both a Valentine 1 and Road Angel. Overkill I know, but I prefer to see it as a belt and braces approach.

I get more laser alerts from the V1. Those pesky coppers on motorway bridges always seem to laser me in my 530d and hardly ever in the Zafira. :rolleyes: The biggest problem in not having a GPS based system is that the V1 can't pick up Truvelos and SPECS. But the V1 tells me which camera is actually switched on. It's amazing the number of dummy cameras that are placed on the roadworks on the M11 and A12. :D
yeah but have you ever tested your theory and booted it through those dummy cameras! lol

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
arbee said:
yeah but have you ever tested your theory and booted it through those dummy cameras! lol
Actually yes!

When the Road Angel bleeps warnings of the overhead cameras on the gantries over the M25 from the A3 to the M40, I won't get a signal from the V1. Then I'll drive through at a high but reasonable speed. I haven't got a ticket yet but probably will if they change it from radar to wires buried in the road. :rolleyes: I still keep to the any variable limit though.

On the A2 into London there's a speed camera in the central reservation pointed towards the Blackwall Tunnel direction at Kidbrooke. Everyone brakes for it but it's never switched on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts