MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at Don Rosen BMW this weekend to see the Helix MINISports Cooper again. Some discussion with sdmidget prompts me to ask whether I need to get on the list at Don Rosen to hedge against a 'situation' at Otto's.

Situation is this... Don Rosen appears to be clearly ready to open in March sometime. Otto's hasn't even broken ground on the new building yet. So, the question is - if their building is not yet complete - will Otto's still be allowed to sell MINIs along with other dealers like Don Rosen who have a building ready?

Now that March is soon to be upon us and cars (including the S) are in port, I feel a bit more urgency. I have left messages with the sales people at both dealerships today - hope for a callback today.

Anyone else in a similar situation either at these two dealers or anywhere else? Anyone have a sense for what the 'rules' are for a dealer to begin selling the MINI?

Thanks!
Jason

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
jlivingood said:
So I was at Don Rosen BMW this weekend to see the Helix MINISports Cooper again. Some discussion with sdmidget prompts me to ask whether I need to get on the list at Don Rosen to hedge against a 'situation' at Otto's.
My advice if you want a MINI is to place deposits at both dealers (and any others you care to).

One of the dealers will get you into a MINI quicker than the other - but that will sort itself out independent of your actions. As long as you're betting on both of them you are bound to have picked the right one (and you'll get your deposit back from the other). :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Jason:

If you haven't already, check out the Mini in Michigan thread posted earlier today. Doesn't sound too promising!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Otto's MINI vs. Don Rosen MINI -- In Philly

BruceK said:

My advice if you want a MINI is to place deposits at both dealers (and any others you care to).
Sounds like a good strategy. I am trying to minimize 9no pun intended) any cash out the door right now - as a payment on my June honeymoon / wedding is pending in the next couple of weeks...

Jason

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Similar to Michigan Situation

sdmidget said:
If you haven't already, check out the Mini in Michigan thread posted earlier today. Doesn't sound too promising!
Missed that one. Just looked at it now and it doesn't sound good for Otto's being ready or permitted to sell MINIs anytime soon. Bummer. Hopefully the Don Rosen guy calls back shortly. Thanks for the pointer to that thread!

Jason

·
Registered
171 Posts
Otto's told me they won't be able to sell until June.

For what it is worth.

If you do talk to the dealer, ask about when you can spec a car?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Otto's told me they won't be able to sell until June.

loder said:
For what it is worth. If you do talk to the dealer, ask about when you can spec a car?
I spoke to Paul Kaufman at Otto's. He seemed to be quite busy so I don't think our conversation lasted more than 90 seconds unfortunately.

He confirmed, more or less, that they cannot sell any MINIs until the building is completed. It will be attached in some manner to the existing BMW building in West Chester. When asked when they might open he stated he did not know as he was told a different date every time he asked about it himself. I asked if it might be as late as June or July and he said "or even later than that."

Not very good news for those hoping to get a MINI from Otto's in West Chester I am afraid!

Jason

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm on the list down at Otto's and last month was told that they wouldn't be open until June. I'm disappointed to hear that it might be later. I too found Paul to seem busy and didn't get much time to actually talk to him.

Based on this discussion and just to try to ensure that I actually get a Cooper S this year I've called Don Rosen to put a deposit down there. I wonder how far down the list I'll end up :confused:

Does anybody know what's actually holding Otto's up?

Dave

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
MadAboutMINI said:
...Does anybody know what's actually holding Otto's up?
If they can only spare 90 seconds to talk with a customer, perhaps they are not very committed to setting up the dealership and selling MINIs.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just spoke with Ed Kress at Don Rosen who was very nice. Put down a deposit. I appear to be in the 60s for the wait for a Cooper S. Sounds like it may be a few months after launch until I get my car but I'd be willing to bet it will be before I get one from Otto's! Never know though - so I am hedging my bets.

Ed seemed a lot more accessible too - which is likely a good sign.

Jason

·
Registered
72 Posts
If your going to start putting deposits down at different dealerships,you might as well go up to Princeton MINI and MINI of Manhatten and see who comes through for you first.Compared to where some other people live,were stocked pretty well with MINI dealerships.Maybe someone should start a thread on how many dealerships someone has deposits at.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
oilman930 said:
....Maybe someone should start a thread on how many dealerships someone has deposits at.
I spoke to someone at MINIUSA last week who mentioned that people (like myself) who have placed multiple deposits at different dealerships were making it difficult for MINIUSA to understand exactly how many people were on waiting lists across the US. It has the effect of perhaps misstating the percent of people who want to buy a Cooper S.

By the way, the record, as far as he knows, is one person who has placed 11 deposits at 11 different dealerships! :D

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BruceK said:

I spoke to someone at MINIUSA last week who mentioned that people (like myself) who have placed multiple deposits at different dealerships were making it difficult for MINIUSA to understand exactly how many people were on waiting lists across the US. It has the effect of perhaps misstating the percent of people who want to buy a Cooper S.

By the way, the record, as far as he knows, is one person who has placed 11 deposits at 11 different dealerships! :D
11 deposits! That's nuts! Imagine all the logistics in getting those 10 deposits back. ;-)

Speaking of MINIUSA trying to understand demand, perhaps they should ask the dealers for the names of people and look at the data that way.

In any case, one of the dealers told me that MINIUSA still expects only 40% of the cars to be Cooper S, even though it appears the majority of deposits are for the S...

Jason

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oilman930 said:
If your going to start putting deposits down at different dealerships,you might as well go up to Princeton MINI and MINI of Manhatten and see who comes through for you first.Compared to where some other people live,were stocked pretty well with MINI dealerships.Maybe someone should start a thread on how many dealerships someone has deposits at.
Better yet, I wonder if we could create new section on dealers or regions. We could have threads on various dealers and such. I could see this being extremely helpful during the launch and seeing what various deals people can or cannot get, etc. Yes, I know that "dealerships" already exists but it's rather difficult with people from so many countries all in one board. Hmmm... Maybe I'm just too picky. ;-)

Jason

·
Registered
171 Posts
That is pretty low

BruceK said:

If they can only spare 90 seconds to talk with a customer, perhaps they are not very committed to setting up the dealership and selling MINIs.
Considering the list at Otto's is over 200. Wierd. Did Ed give you any idea when you could spec your car?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
jlivingood said:
11 deposits! That's nuts! Imagine all the logistics in getting those 10 deposits back. ;-)
Yes, it is nuts! :eek: Isn't it wonderful? :p True, getting the deposits back would take some work, but on the flip side you'd be doing it only after you already had a MINI (and gotten it as quickly as possible). Plus, if one dealer started being a jerk and charging over MSRP, it would be real easy to walk knowing you had 10 other places to do business....

jlivingood said:
Speaking of MINIUSA trying to understand demand, perhaps they should ask the dealers for the names of people and look at the data that way.
I think for that to have happened, MINIUSA would have had to been involved from the start and maintain its own database to share with all its dealers (like I've heard that Nissan is doing in the US with the new Z car wait list). Plus you are giving dealers too much credit for having it all organized in similar ways -- I think some of the MINI dealers must have their waiting list scribbled on the back of an old McDonald's bag. :)

jlivingood said:
In any case, one of the dealers told me that MINIUSA still expects only 40% of the cars to be Cooper S, even though it appears the majority of deposits are for the S...
Jason
I was very recently told exactly the same thing by MINIUSA - 40% would be Cooper S models. It's just we S buyers are just a little bit more enthusiastic. :D

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: That is pretty low

loder said:
Considering the list at Otto's is over 200. Wierd. Did Ed give you any idea when you could spec your car?
I am guessing the list at Don Rosen is lower since they ask for a deposit, whereas Otto's does not. As for spec'ing the car, he did not say.

Jason

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Official Word from MINIUSA

Looks like the exact reply someone got regarding the Michigan situation! Basically, Otto's cannot sell until the building is ready.

---------------------

Hi Jason! I'm with MINI Division in the United States. I'm very sorry for your disappointment in regards to the delayed opening of your MINI dealer. On behalf of MINI Division, please accept my deepest apologies. Unfortunately, local factors have caused a delay in the construction of your MINI dealer. This delay was unforeseen, and is beyond the control of your dealer.

MINI is a separate car division with a separate franchise from BMW. I hope you can understand why we cannot deliver MINIs through a BMW dealer. The MINI has unique service tools, service training, and product philosophy. Without a dedicated facility, our customers would have no place to repair their MINIs if needed. There is a need for dedicated space to prepare, deliver, and service hundreds of MINIs every year. Something that the current capacity of any dealer would be overwhelmed by.

Again, please accept my sincerest apologies. We look forward to providing the best possible service to all our customers when our dealers open. We hope that the MINI you may acquire will provide you with years of motoring enjoyment.

Emily
MINI Division
Customer Relations

-------------------

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I finally got my deposit down at Don Rosen's tonight. Ed Kress said that there were about 70 people ahead of me on the S list. He anticpated that I should see my car in the fall.

I asked him about pre-speced vs. customer speced cars. He believes that around the end of March the people on the list will be contacted to spec out their cars.

He also mentioned that their MINI dealership is set to open in March as planned. It's a couple of blocks from their current BMW store. He won't be involved with the new dealership personally, but said I'd likely be contacted by one of the MINI sales associates after the March opening.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MadAboutMINI said:
Well I finally got my deposit down at Don Rosen's tonight. Ed Kress said that there were about 70 people ahead of me on the S list. He anticpated that I should see my car in the fall.

I asked him about pre-speced vs. customer speced cars. He believes that around the end of March the people on the list will be contacted to spec out their cars.

He also mentioned that their MINI dealership is set to open in March as planned. It's a couple of blocks from their current BMW store. He won't be involved with the new dealership personally, but said I'd likely be contacted by one of the MINI sales associates after the March opening.
Yeah - I suspect a bunch of people on the Otto's list have made deposits over at Don Rosen's. The fall won't be all bad - any early bugs on the S should be sorted out by then.

I think the new building is actually an existing one down Montgomery or Lancaster Ave. (can't recall which is which around there.).

Jason

1 - 20 of 26 Posts