MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Delete Cookies!
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As our 1998 Mini Cooper Sports Le had turned 105,000 miles we thought it was time to put it on a classic car insurance policy and seek out another everyday car.

We toyed with the idea of a new R56 MINI Cooper S, but when we test drove one of the last R53 supercharged Cooper S MINIs we were hooked on the supercharger whine :cool:

Edwina wanted 'Electric Blue' and I wanted an Aerokit, we both wanted as young a MINI as possible with low mileage.

We found this MINI Cooper S in the Country Garage in Ballymena, it is Electric Blue, had low miles and already had the Aerokit fitted, so was exactly what we were looking for.

As soon as we collected the MINI the personalising started, before it had even left the show room! (I've got a touch carried away as its only been 1 year since we bought it :( )

I have try to restrict any changes to genuine MINI parts, or parts that have that OEM look as I want the MINI to look as though it could have left the factory this way.

We have taken our 1998 Mini Cooper Sports Le to various shows and locations across Ireland, Scotland, England, France and Switzerland.

We have attended local Irish shows in this Cooper S and in the past few weeks we visited the MINI factory at Cowley, the Great Mini Meet at the Haynes Motor Museum and took it to Jersey for a holiday.

So far I have added:

17,000 miles in a year!
MINI fog lamp surrounds
MINI spot lamp covers
Mini Pirate Aerokit rear decals with a grille effect
MINI 2006 spec- custom de-chromed tail lamps
Smoked side repeaters
De-chromed waistline
Black 'S' badges instead of red
MINI cd changer
MINI Leather cup holder surrounds
MINI Leather gear selector surrounds
MINI Leather down tubes
Milltek stainless steel exhaust
JCW R95 18"alloys
JCW door step trim
JCW leather/alcantara steering wheel
JCW Carbon fibre steering wheel insert
JCW Carbon fibre/alcantara handbrake grip
JCW Carbon fibre/alcantara gear knob
JCW Carbon fibre rear spoiler
JCW Carbon fibre wing mirrors
JCW Carbon fibre bonnet air intake
JCW alloy strut brace
JCW air filter system
ITG air filter to fit the above
Shorter alloy aerial mast (to clear the spoiler)
Forge Motorsport alloy washer bottle cap
Forge Motorsport alloy headlamp washer cap
Forge Motorsport alloy brake reservoir cap
Forge Motorsport alloy expansion tank cap
Forge Motorsport alloy intercooler
Alta 15% reduced supercharger pulley
Denso iridium spark plugs IK22

·
Delete Cookies!
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking very good!

What have you done yesterday?

Just changed the intercooler, or have u changed the belt & pully too?
On Friday I was going past Lohen while heading for the ferry home and though it rude not to call in :p

They fitted pulley, belt, plugs and the itg airfilter for me.

I swapped the intercooler on Saturday afternoon and then headed to a local Mini show on Sunday.

·
Registered
382 Posts
On Friday I was going past Lohen while heading for the ferry home and though it rude not to call in :p

They fitted pulley, belt, plugs and the itg airfilter for me.

I swapped the intercooler on Saturday afternoon and then headed to a local Mini show on Sunday.
How are you finding the Lohen conversion, is it much more noisey than stock?

Also isn't that intercooler a Forge one, and don't they cost like £400? :aargh:

·
Delete Cookies!
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Andy:biggrin:

That Forge intercooler looks massive! Got to be the cleanest engine bay ever:wink: How did you get the intercooler horns looking so good?

John
it had low miles when we bought it so everything was really clean, I've managed to eep it that way.
I used tar removed and a cloth to clean some of the road gunk from them :)

·
Delete Cookies!
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice!

This may be considered a daft question, but can you feel the difference? Does it push you back in your seat?

Also whats it like noise wise at motorway speeds?
Yeah you can notice the difference, well I can.
mmm not sure on the push back, give me a good excuse to check tomorrow :p

motorway speeds were fine, I found the extra noise is only there when you are pushing hard up the rev range.

Alski took me for a run in his Cooper S, now that pushed me back in the seat, aswell as making me swear quite a bit :D.
He has substantially more engine tweaks and thus putting out a far larger bhp.
I can see how getting more power is addictive :rolleyes:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hehe, I used to have a Clio 172, which I traded in for my MCS.

I wouldn't say the MCS is slow (it's only 0.2 of a second slower than the 172) but I would say the MCS is a more refined ride, it doesn't seem to have the same kick the clio had.
Sometimes it felt like the engine was about to come in though the dash!

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
The Cilo is light and cheapily made so that probably why you felt the kick more in the cilo!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts