1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our car has been accepted back by MINI.

It is to be replaced.

Our new spec:
Solid black (saving £250 on Indi Blue metallic)
White roof, mirrors, wheels (as before)
ASC&T (as before)
MFSW (new toy paid for by dropping metallic)
Heated washer jets & mirros (new toy paid for by dropping metallic)
Sunroof (as before)
ISOFIX system -you never know :rolleyes: (new to spec)
Computer (as before)
MiniDisc player (instead of CD - new toy to play with)
BOOST (as before)
CD Changer prep - are you mad ! - it dont cost a bean !
Chili (as before) - serious reservations about the EMT tyres however but dont like the 15" and "17 would just be worse.
Spare wheel - its only £35

Dave

·
Registered
374 Posts
I didn't think you could order the spare tyre with the 16" wheels.

What don't you like about the 15" wheels? Style? Grip? I must admit I'm a big fan of the standard 7 hole alloys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the salesman who suggested we go for the spare (if that means anything?!?!).

Our courtesy car (supplied by MINI UK) is a Blue/white Cooper Pepper with Climate, full leather and 8 spoke 175 15's.

I like the look of the bigger wheels and the traction from the 175's is noticably less than the 195 16's - ive had a few embarassing moments pulling away.

Also Chili gives us 1/2 leather sports seats (the full leather standard seats give me backache!).

Dave

·
Registered
374 Posts
Opinions on wheels are a very personal thing. I'm not so keen on the 8 spoke wheels - the idea of mock minilites is good - but somehow they look too flat.

Still running mine in (only covered 400 miles) so no problems with traction yet, though hopefully the ASC+T should help.

I agree the Chili pack is good value, though because of worries about the ride and run-flat tyres I didn't go for it. I didn't test drive the standard seats long enough to get back-ache, but I felt they didn't grip you enough so my Cooper has cloth sports seats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd check on the spare - we were told by our dealer (Milcars) that the spare was a 15" and therefore could only be sold with 15" wheels.

Also pardon my ignorance what is MFSW? Mine is due in March and I might want it - if I know what it is!

Pete

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
peteri said:
....Also pardon my ignorance what is MFSW? Mine is due in March and I might want it - if I know what it is!
Pete
Multi-Function Steering Wheel - with audio controls and cruise control

·
Registered
374 Posts
Re the spare. It's not a 15" spare, just one of those very thin space-saver spares. I don't think there's a physical reason why you can't have a spare with the 16" wheels. I think its just because they run flat that BMW don't think you need the option of a spare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that!

Interesting you chose that - our main family car has this (BMW) and I really like it, tried the mini one, and didn't really like the ergonomics.

I'm going to check with the dealer tomorrow about the spare, I agree it will be one of the skinnies - but surely the diameter matters?

Pete

·
Registered
189 Posts
The diameter does matter!!!!!!!!!!To ignore the spare for a moment the 16" option raises the car 9-12 mm depending on tyre pres.
This def affects handling, which is why the standard option is so sweet.
Minilite clones are Way Cool.
Simple solution on 16s fit 195/50s.
Ps the taller tyres on the 16/195/55 mean higher gearing and slower acceleration.

The stand 175/65/15 Diam =608.5mm
195/55/16 =620.9
195/50/16 =601.4

Perhaps the best compromise? 185/60/15 = 603mm
increased grip not too stiff sl lower gearing.

Bit anorakish but it keeps me happy.
V few 185/60/15s avail Pirelli P6000

1 - 10 of 10 Posts