MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys brought a second hand Cooper S and love it.

Was sitting in this sun outside waiting for the wife and the engine overheated water poured out from under the car and so on.

Anyway got it repaired and it was a faulty fan unit which they replaced but I am not sure if it is just me being apranoid or not but the car seems a little slower than before, they promised the performance would not have been reduced from the overheating but thought I might ask you guys as independant people?

Any comments welcome and thank in advance.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
It's entirely possible, you may have a compression leak due to the overheating. Go to a garage (not a dealer) and get a leakdown and compression test done on the car this will indicate if theres a problem with the head sealing (warped head) or a possible head gasket failure yet to occur.

If it comes out bad then get it to the dealer and get it sorted, something like that could be really costly if its out of warranty.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Thanks for the information batou, is their any tell tell signs of a compression leak?
Yes, the car would feel slower as low compression would cause loss of bhp. I suggested the leakdown and compression test as this will show which cylinders are losing compression and give you documented evidence that you can take to your dealer and say "Look, my engine and performance IS affected". I would jump on it asap as it will only get worse.

Basically the dealer may have fixed the root of the problem but not fixed/checked for all of the associated problems caused by it, it might be innocent and they thought it was ok but any garage worth their salt would at least check for lost compression and leaks following an overheated engine :rolleyes: .

Good luck mate, theres nothing worse than a car that feels slower than you remember :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok car is in the garage as type this having leakdown and compression test done will let you know how it gets on, I am sooooo hoping I am an idiot and everything is ok.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Good luck, I'm just sorry there aren't many people posting in this thread as combustion temperatures and power loss are usually a common discussion. Come on guys! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok just spoke to the garage he said no problems or signs most have a compression of 185 but one was down to 175 but he thinks that will build its self back up.

Do you think I should get mini to check that?

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
185/175 is fine so no issues there then, I wouldn't get a second off Mini if the results came out ok. How were the plugs? any signs of them getting too hot?

Ok, so looks like it could be a tough one to figure out. In what way does it feel slower? Does it feel like it's losing boost? (any air whooshy noises?). Is it top end power? Flat spots? Poor pick up/response?

The only really sure fire way to find out whether it is down on power is to get it on a reputable rolling road who know how to take care of Minis (theres a knack to it) and do a power run. It could be that it's just in your head... I felt the same with my car last year but after putting down 201bhp on the rollers it felt much faster driving home! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Batou I thankyou for your replies but am thinking it is just in my head, but just so you know it just felt sluggish pulling away, which is why I thought it but like I say just me being over protective of my fav car I ever owned so thanks again.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
No worries, you could always turn up at the next organised rolling road day and give it a run. I know exactly how it feels and I can honestly say just confirmation that everything was fine made everything feel fine again. I swear I have OCD lol :rolleyes:

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
BPV or IC boot leak? Wouldn't be the first time I have seen them go south making a MINI feel sluggish.

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Yep, I had a spring failure on my supercharger bypass valve which is as far south that thing can go. Meaning I had no boost (so it drove like a Mini One dragging a dead supercharger around lol), these can wear and mean you lose boost. It's easy enough to check if the person knows where to look and what for.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Could have happened when they were putting things back together. It isn't like I have forgotten to tighten things down when putting stuff back together. :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm sound like the only real way I will know is if I get along to the next organised rolling road day any ideas when and where it may be , are they ever in Surrey?

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Some of this can be done without a RR. Get to a tuner or find a guy like batou that can help you look into it a little. Belt slip, ic boots and BPV can all be looked at without RR. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I am really rubbish when it comes to cars love them but know very little when it comes to under the bodywork and have had bad experience with car people so find it very hard to trust them and currently dont know anyone locally.

I am about 5-10 minutes from J8 of the M25.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts