MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fan comes on quite frequently on my diesel, is this normal? I've never driven a car when the fan comes on so much. Last week it came on after driving less than 1/2 mile no traffic. It comes on after driving 4 miles or so in no traffic with the heater on in the car. The dealer has told me this is normal but I have little faith in them, they've tried to fob me off on a few occasions. Is it normal, I don't drive far at all and not usually in traffic.
Thanks

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
A lot of people, including me when I had mine, have been told its normal :) Whether it is or not is another thing, but there is a thread all about it somewhere.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Why might it be a problem to you if the D has to regenerate the particulate filter more frequently than usual because of the short journeys and so make a bit of noise doing it?

Forget it and enjoy!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can't vouch for a D, but my gas clubman's fan comes on at times and when it first happened I was pretty concerned. It usually doesn't come on after 1/2 a mile.... but again it's not a D.

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I can't vouch for a D, but my gas clubman's fan comes on at times and when it first happened I was pretty concerned. It usually doesn't come on after 1/2 a mile.... but again it's not a D.
Mine used to come on when I first started the car, even on cold mornings...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Why might it be a problem to you if the D has to regenerate the particulate filter more frequently than usual because of the short journeys and so make a bit of noise doing it?

Forget it and enjoy!
Doesnt the engine have to run hot to flush the filter out. It would make sense the fan to come on to keep things cool. Every Cooper D I have driven does it, so I wouldnt worry about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts