MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cleaning Whore
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
waiting in the drive thru today, and my mcs overheated right to the top, waited for it to cool down and coolant level was spot on, carried on driving and it stayed dead on half like it supposed to do....

does every mini do this? or do i have a fault with my radiator fan??

cheers guys

Johnno.

·
Registered
26 Posts
definitely a fault. shoud get it check out, might be the fan as u were stationary when it overheats.
u can take it for a drive, and then let it sitting there on idle, see if the fan comes on.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
if its an older mini it will almost certainly be the wiring harness thats gone, it gets hot brittle and then packs up. Common fault on the earlier MCS's

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
Ignore the temp guage as its normal range which is huge is always in the middle. If its shoots up you have problems and I can only recommend if you have air con is to switch it on quick and put the heater onto hot with the fan on full. The air con fan will cool the car in a matter of 30seconds.

The fan should come on at 105degrees C if I remember correct.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ignore the temp guage as its normal range which is huge is always in the middle. If its shoots up you have problems and I can only recommend if you have air con is to switch it on quick and put the heater onto hot with the fan on full. The air con fan will cool the car in a matter of 30seconds.

The fan should come on at 105degrees C if I remember correct.
that's is some good info dave,topman

·
Cleaning Whore
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it doesnt go high unless i stop for over 15 min, normal driving it just sits in the middle, will ring the garadge tommorow to sort under warranty, and yes it is a 2004 so early mcs.

thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
The temp gauge is an odd set up that ignores temp variations ,so is not the real temp but within limits that are considered normal - hence a tuned car would not show an increase in water temp so readily and there is no oil temp either
the temp signal comes via the BCI and not direct to the gauge - keeps the owners happy though!;)
MM is correct the 105 temp is the one easy to tell temp -the fan starts
All modern cars run on the hot side -better emissions and better longevity (allegedly)
Although not good for power/performance upgrades!!
hence new rad/tank/cap/stat avail next week!!! -shameless plug:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I thought, the hotter the engine, the more power you can squeeze out of it. It's only because the material couldn't stand the heat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2001 MINI standard transmission; not the S version
I just had the exact same thing happen to me. No previous problems; always at the proper temp according to gauge. Then today while waiting in line, also at a drive-thru, it went hot, to the top. I turned the car off while I was waiting. As soon as I started moving again, it started cooling down and went to the middle mark again.

When I got to my work, I parked the car and let it idle and it never moved from the proper spot.

I checked the fuses that I could find - every single fan fuse there was (except the specialized ones that look like a power plug - have NO idea what they are called - mine are green - i don't know how to check it) - no fuses were burnt.

Since I am going blind here because I don't have any schematics to work with, If the fan near the firewall is the secondary cooling fan, that one seems to run fine and stayed on after I turned the ignition off. I can't tell if the fan behind the radiator is on or not.

One guy here (sorry, I failed to write your name) said perhaps the wiring harness was kaput. Is this a do-it-yourself thing I can see with my own eyes, or do I need a mechanic or boyfriend-greasemonkey????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mad temperature gauge

My problem is that the needle on the temperature gauge has a mind all of it's own.
Swaying wildly from cold to v hot when the fan comes on.
Suspect the temperature sensor is 'broken' - is it easy for a DIYer fix?
All constructive comments gratefully received
TIA
Adrian

·
Registered
544 Posts
The temp gauge has a massive range, mine sits in the middle from 75-105c according to my Scangauge:eek:

As mentioned, normal running temp is 87-90c and the fan kicks in bang on 105c :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
my good lady picked me up today and the temp shot right up, i pulled off right away to get some air through it and it droppde quickly back down.
yes it was a hot day - 26.5C on the clock but it should be in the middle right?
I have topped the coolant up in the past so i think there is a slight leak in the rad, maybe i have an air bubble somewhere? think it is worth bleeding it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had exactly the same problem with my wife's Mini Cooper - fan running excessively, coolant level llight eventually came on. Contacted dealer who initially advised recovery back to them! When they investigated, thermostat leaking and had to be replaced. Now persuing claim against BMW as warranty had expired 2 days before! So far, they agreed to pay for parts only.
ps. apparenntly this is coomon fault with 05/06 models

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been having a similar problem with my 2003 MC, but this is when the car's running. The temperature gauge stays in the middle, then will suddenly shoot up, going from the middle to the top in about 15 seconds. I have to pull over, open up the hood, and wait a while. After that the temperature gauge is at normal, and the car runs fine for a while before getting the same problem.

I just had the power steering fixed at a ridiculously exhorbitant cost. I've read that the power steering pump uses the same circuit as the engine fan (or something like that, I don't know cars), but the power steering is working fine.

After months of constant costly repairs across the board I've come to the conclusion that minis are unreliable cars and I no longer recommend them when people ask.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Similar problem I had a month back. After a month of evaluating and researching on the problem, I understood where the problem is coming from. Running slow or in a stationary position shoots up the temp gauge for the fan does not turn. When driving at high speed the gauge goes back to normal for the air passing through the grill which cools the radiator.

Instinctively, first thing I looked at was the 5A fuse (radiator/steering pump fuse) and found it blown. It cost me 80 cents to fix the problem. My car has been problem free since then.

·
Cleaning Whore
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update :

had whole fan changed, as it was siezed! so wiring etc was fine.... not had the problem since.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts