MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Finally got registered for this board, so here's my first post.

I've got a MINI Cooper, just finshed running it in :) so now the right hand pedal is getting more use! :D

Is it just me or do other owners find there MINI is initially understeering into corners, but when pushed a bit the back end starts to come round as the car starts to oversteers :eek: It is controlable, by lifitng off the throtttle a bit and/or steering towards the slide, but..........

Previoulsy I've had a Fiat Cinqucento Sporting, and then a Sciento Sporting, neither of which did this. Same roads, simliar slightly slippy road conditions.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Cooper Chili and have also just finished running-in - I don't find any problem with the back end letting go - If you push it I find it nice and neutral and lifting off tightens the line a bit more.

What wheels / tyres / suspension are you running - maybe you can compare with an identical car out there.:confused:

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
There's a reason for this.

The MINI handles properly with lift off oversteer (which I think you are experiencing) and Fiats well... don't!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yep, lift off oversteer, great fun, quite controllable. Particularly enjoyable on the series of roundabouts on the ring road down here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay in my reply, bit busy over Christmas:)

So, it looks like my girlfriend will just have to get used to the feel of oversteer as a passenger:D As if the passenger viewable speedo wasn't enough!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hardly "Oversteer"!

If you want to experience real lift-off oversteer, try a Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6 (not the 1.9) - that is a real oversteer monster - great fun if you are the driver - terrifying if you are in the other chair! We are talking real sideways action here.

MINI doesn't come close to this level of oversteer - it is lovely and neutral if you push it (if you are only used to understeering front drive cars then neutral can feel like oversteer) and lifting-off tightens the line nicely and can induce a little gentle oversteer in slippier conditions.

I have a Cooper Chili with Goodyears. If your MINI doen't feel like this, then check your tyre pressures!

Personally I love this set-up - it is the best handling car I have ever owned, and I have owned nearly 20 "sporty" cars, so that is saying somethinng.

·
Amiga 500 to PS3 20 Years
4,636 Posts
I think that is to do with the weight of the engine. 1.6 is often described as having excellent handling but the 1.9 is a bit front heavy.

Right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts