MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my MINI in for an MOT at North Oxford MINI. The windscreen was cracked so I was going to arrange to have it replaced my AUTOWINDSCREENS which would have been covered by my insurance company and cost me £50. Oxford MINI told me that this would void my extended BMW warranty and that they should replace it- if the warranty is compromised then the insurance company will pay for MINI to replace it. IT cost £380! My insurance company would not pay for it as they said BMW do not say AUTOWINDSCREENS cannot do it. On calling BMW they told me that they them selves use AUTOWINDSCREENS and the only bit that would not be covered by the warranty is the surround which costs £40!

North Oxford MINI coned me in to spending £380 in order to keep a warranty on £40 worth of parts. I recommend you do not use North Oxford MINI due to their dishonesty and the way they mislead people.

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
sounds balls to me. you dont get a warranty for screen replacement from BMW when u get a new screen fitted, it comes from the company that fitted it! utter tosh if BMW said that it would void your warranty...... i would be speaking to the dealer principle and asking for complete compensation of payment, for being misslead...:(

·
Northerner in t'south
365 Posts
That is terrible!!

I think this is about the forth thread on here saying this garage is not upto scratch.

I see Lorraine linked to my post, suffice to say I think they are rubbish, though a guy I work with says they're great...

I now use Damon Hill in Warwick and they have dealt with me very well. Its a bit of a treck but I'd recommend them.

·
AWOL
14,247 Posts
andrew wilson said:
I recently had my MINI in for an MOT at North Oxford MINI. The windscreen was cracked so I was going to arrange to have it replaced my AUTOWINDSCREENS which would have been covered by my insurance company and cost me £50. Oxford MINI told me that this would void my extended BMW warranty and that they should replace it- if the warranty is compromised then the insurance company will pay for MINI to replace it. IT cost £380! My insurance company would not pay for it as they said BMW do not say AUTOWINDSCREENS cannot do it. On calling BMW they told me that they them selves use AUTOWINDSCREENS and the only bit that would not be covered by the warranty is the surround which costs £40!

North Oxford MINI coned me in to spending £380 in order to keep a warranty on £40 worth of parts. I recommend you do not use North Oxford MINI due to their dishonesty and the way they mislead people.

Likes been said thats disgusting, speak to the dealer principle, dont take no for an answer, write to autoexpress, Mini UK... thats a disgrace and you shouldnt be 380 out of pocket !!!.... keep us all posted !

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
On the subject of windscreens can anybody confirm or deny that a new windscreen should be allowed to 'dry' for 24 hrs.I had my windscreen replaced under warranty cos the heating elements were only working on the drivers side and when i phoned to check if it was ready they said 'Its done but we need to keep it for 24 hrs ',i said 'why ? whats the problem'. He said that there was no problem but the windsreen needed to dry for 24 hrs.I was having a buzz/rattle fixed at the same time and thay had taken the dash out to do the fix on the buzz/rattle but ripped the edges of the dash top trying to put it back in.So i wasn't sure if the reason they wanted to keep it for 24 hrs was to repair the dash (which they couldn't cos the dash top apparently takes 7 to 10 days to arrive) or if it was genuinely for the windsceen to set.I just thought that i've seen Autowindscreens and the like fixing windows on the car park at work so surely they don't need that long.I hasten to add this was about three weeks before christmas and its been back in again cos the windscreen that replaced the faulty one was leaking.They were supposed to do the dash but when i got it back they said that it needed a new dash top and it would be 7 to 10 days.'I knew that three weeks ago' i said.It should be here by now.The lady i spoke to said she would check,she did and said that there had been a dash top sent but it was already ripped.They are trying to claim for it under warranty but they told me they damaged it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
We had the windscreen replaced on our old Toyota a few months ago, and we were recommended to leave it for 24 hours before using it to let the sealant cure. That came from the friend who runs a garage, not from AutoWindscreens (who did the job).

MINI Insurance use AutoWindscreens, so I'd be surprised if using them did anything to affect the warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.