MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dearer gave me a ring on Monday afternoon and said, “do I want to drive an Oz spec Mini”. Ten minutes later I was down it the show room waiting for my drive.

It was a fully option Black and silver Cooper. It had full leather, climate control, 16” wheels, and sunroof. It is one of the three ADR compliant minis that I saw at the Sydney motor show last year.

Of course it had the speedo above the steering wheel and tacho in the centre. Did I like the Tacho in the middle and the speedo on the steering wheel? Well I found the speedo gauge and numbers on the dial are too small for me. I had to look at the speedo, I could not just glance at it. The centre mount Tacho took a while to get used too. The centre dial face is too big for a tacho gauge. But I know why the dial face is that big. With its size I could see it out of the corner of eye. My eyes left the road for longer periods of time to read the small speedo than the lager tacho. Don’t know which set up I like, the centre mount speedo or tacho. Display on the tacho showed outside temperature and the trip computer was displayed on the speedo gauge.

Climate control works well. It changes state slow and steady. So much so that I did not even notice it was on or working.

The test drive took us down to the local shipping docks area. The roads down at the docks are quite uneven and rough. Now I know the fun and joy that current Mini owners are enjoying.

On the way down to the dock area the Mini stop traffic everywhere. The internal cabin noise was quite low even with the sunroof open. The ride is firm (not SSP+) you feel the road surface. But it was never hash. The body stiffness I think helped here. No effort was required to drive the car in normally traffic unlike some other get handling cars I have driven.

The gearbox is GREAT it is smooth and short. The gearbox did not even baulked at being thrown down a gear to brake into corners.

The car performs best at 4000 rpm and above. You can light up the tires first to second, but you only get a little chirp second to third. The engine is ticking over about 2000 rpm at 60 Km/h in fourth.

Now the handling. What can I say except if feels like some one had layed railway tracks down on the road? You point the car in a direction, give it some gas and that’s the way it goes. 90 km/h corners are not a problem.

The car electronics system performed with out fault (except the airbag warnig light was on). The car unlocked, locked, windows went up and down when told to. I found no indication of the problem electronics that other minis have had.

All through out the test drive I had one thing in the back of my mind and every time the road surfaced changed I tested to see if the problem would rear it ugly head. The problem is the “pulling to the left”. Good news, NO PULLING TO THE LEFT ON THIS OZ MINI. It must be a Northern Hemisphere thing?

On the lighter side, during the test drive a WRX driver and his beautiful blonde passager could not keep their eyes off the Mini. Where I went, they followed. After about 10 minutes of this I got rid of them with one hard right turn.

I will give this word of advice to other Oz Mini buyers. You Drive it; you will want it NOW like me. This makes the torturous wait for a Mini of your own that much harder.

That's it from a happy and lucky snoopy

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Hey you guys from down under {was'nt that a song by an Aussie band} did'nt us Brits tell you how good the car was,but honestly there is no need to thank us,oh alright go on then.:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
ask your dealer for another test drive in a few weeks when its done a couple of thousand mile.:D :D then you will want to keep it even more.:cool:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Basil when did you take that photo of my car?I can't remember parking it in Aus hehehe.
and what is that hanging down in the middle?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
dinger said:
Basil is that you on the right with the knobberly knees.:D :D :D
The gentleman on the right is an entirely innocent bystander......your supposed to be looking at the car !!!........and the thingy in the middle means it's a boy!!!..... :)

But seriously ti's this.......

Note these are all snoopy's photo's.......were still running around trying to catch the cat.......still got the bag !!!!

Apologise again - photo removed

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Basil said:

The gentleman on the right is an entirely innocent bystander......your supposed to be looking at the car !!!........and the thingy in the middle means it's a boy!!!..... :)

But seriously ti's this.......

Note these are all snoopy's photo's.......were still running around trying to catch the cat.......still got the bag !!!!
Yes Basil thats it.Its a towbar i can see that now.
Aussie & American towbars are so much tidier than UK towbars.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Basil said:

How can you tell for sure that he is ENTIRELY INNOCENT?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
zoooooom said:
Basil said:

How can you tell for sure that he is ENTIRELY INNOCENT?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
That's a good point zoooooom. He's probably a mini fan as he looks as though he's about to give it a kick!!!

:D

(Just kidding about the mini thing.......keep your knickers on........just a little snide remark to see how much attention is getting paid to threads that arn't mini v mini v mini v mini v mini with the MINI at the end. Always MINI at the end......... )

:)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
zoooooom said:

Yes Basil thats it.Its a towbar i can see that now.
Aussie & American towbars are so much tidier than UK towbars.
Did you notice on miniusa.com that the S has a towage rating......The tow bar on the S is going to be something to see......they'll have to offset it won't they.....it'll be too low under the tailpipes. Maybe in the uk they'll drill a big hole in the hatch, like they do for the UK roof racks !!!

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Zoooooom have you noticed the way Basil is trying{very} :p to change the subject about his anatomy,I still think there his legs mind you even I would'nt admit to owning them.:D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
dinger said:
Zoooooom have you noticed the way Basil is trying{very} :p to change the subject about his anatomy,I still think there his legs mind you even I would'nt admit to owning them.:D
Your just obsessing about my legs aren't you. Ok, just for you, and to prove the legs in the above picture aren't mine...... and if you look closely you can just make out the MINI wing logo on the back of my stiletto's.

(PS. And apologise to snoopy, I had no idea your thread would degenerate this low!!!.......:D )

Attachments

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Cat's out the bag !!! ..............

escargo......... :(

Note: The orginal photo's here have been removed.

My apologise to any dealers here that may have suferred over this. Your hearts are in the right place. But BMW obviously does not see it in the same light.

cheers.

Just goes to show how closely BMW look at this site.

Amazing !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts