MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aussie mates, today 15th Feb I followed a silver/black Cooper along the Eastern Freeway out of Melbourne.

Looked real good, QVC 259. Probably a salesperson taking one home, no stickers to indicate dealer.

Do I get a prize for spotting it?

The beast looked like it was ready for more throttle, and sat beautifully on the road, but what else would you expect? I tried to get in front of it so I could look back at it, but the Coop took off up the exit ramp at Blackburn Rd.

I now want to see a yellow/white one. Looks like our test drives should be coming up soon.

Friday 1st March at Melbourne Motor Show will debut the 'S', and those who attend on the nite (invite only) will get to sit in it.

This is in the wrong discussion group, sorry.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well spotted Eltel.

I have my test drive on Sunday 17th - will let you know how it goes.

Andy

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Oz Cooper Test Drive

Drove a rather nice Australian spec Cooper today:
  • Black w/ white roof
  • Silver 5 star wheels, 16"
  • SS+
  • ASC+T (didn't get to need this!)
  • Climate Control
  • Cloth/leather sports seats
  • CD Boost
  • MFSW
Firstly, car looks absolutely stunning in black... may have to rethink on colours. Again. Wheels looked great too

Drove for about 20 mins round busyish Sydney streets. Didn't get a chance to push it, so hard to really comment on 'sportivity'

Car was very taut & ride quite firm on 16s w/ SS+. This meant potholes were quite jarring, though I'm happy to accept that as price for decent handling. Steering was direct & feel was excellent. Much better than my Civic VTi-R, which is feathery in comparison. Mini steering was heavier, definitely, though certainly not too heavy

Engine had only done 60km, and felt a little stiff compared to the higher mileage car I drove in UK in Oct '01. Or, maybe it's the crap Aussie petrol - didn't ask if dealer had done the decent thing & filled it with Optimax

Power pick up was OK, though rather slow <4000 rpm. 5000rpm+ was much nicer!

Overall driving was heaps of fun in a point & squirt kind of way. Car had plenty of "point", but could do with a little more "squirt" for my taste. I think I will stick with my order for an S, rather than the quicker, cheaper option of a std Cooper

Internally, seats felt fine, and adjustments adequate - Liked the cloth/leather combo. Rear access a little fiddly

Big central Rev counter is a beast. I like it in a perverse way. LED redlines area nice touch

Climate control was good. It worked effectively on a sunny 30C day, and combined central dial/display was pleasing

CD Boost sounded at least as good as my Civic ICE. I won't be putting my options budget towards a H/K upgrade. The MFSW was also cool, with fingertip control of ICE & Cruise was handy, though again I can live without it. One awkward feature on the CD Boost is the volume control if not using mfsw - It's small and at far left of dash unit. Ideal for US/Euro, but less good for UK/Aus

Switches were nice. Demo car lacked fogs, leaving an aesthetically unpleasing gap in the row of toggles. Worth getting the fogs then, for this alone?!

Didn't like rear view mirror (too small), and thought plastic "aluminium" trim looked a little bit cheap, if I'm being picky. Hope the S "patina" is better

Forgot to investigate the glovebox chiller - Anyone else tried it yet?

Oh, almost forgot, no sign of a pull or drift that I could detect in normal driving - Did not have a chance to perform any of the more esoteric tests described elsewhere on MINI2

Looking forward to hearing other Oz comments...:)

Can't wait to get my S in August. Spec as of today is a bare & reasonably priced Black car w/ white roof, 16" silver 5-stars, DSC, maybe an alarm. That's it!;)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Basil said:
Nice one....... Feel any different to the UK car you drove ?
Only difference was maybe a tad less power, but I'm putting that down to either not-run-in-yet or lower octane fuel

Also, in UK I was stepping out of mother-in-law's Rover 416 :)o :eek: ) & into a you beaut' Coop'

In Aus I am stepping out of a 160bhp 8000rpm Honda sewing machine...:rolleyes:

Gimme that S:p

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Oz Cooper Test Drive

rich said:
Drove a rather nice Australian spec Cooper today:

Thanks for that review rich, first impressions count.

I'm hoping to get a drive sometime this week.

Good news from my dealer last week was the price for the 17" S-spokes with 205/45 tyres for only an extra $1100. I think Basil had quoted a higher price, but can't remember where his posting was to check it out.

I'm going for S-spokes at that price.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Re: Re: Oz Cooper Test Drive

eltel said:

Good news from my dealer last week was the price for the 17" S-spokes with 205/45 tyres for only an extra $1100. I think Basil had quoted a higher price, but can't remember where his posting was to check it out.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions, eltel, post-test drive

I think the S-spokes will get a lot of takers at the price

Personally, I'm not a big wheel/skinny tyre afficionado

I could be persuaded, though, with a set of cross-spokes like on the JCW Cooper... :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
rich said:

Only difference was maybe a tad less power, but I'm putting that down to either not-run-in-yet or lower octane fuel

Also, in UK I was stepping out of mother-in-law's Rover 416 :)o :eek: ) & into a you beaut' Coop'

In Aus I am stepping out of a 160bhp 8000rpm Honda sewing machine...:rolleyes:

Gimme that S:p
Would also add that SS+ suspension felt firmer (UK Cooper demo was on 16s with std Sports Susp'n). Hard to say how much firmer - the lunar landscape that is Sydney's road network saw to any more quantitative comments

All in all, the test drive left me wanting to get at a decent stretch of road... in an S

I've parked my thoughts towards the alternative of an MX5 SP for now. I've heard all 200 have been sold. I wouldn't want to get too excited about a car with even worse availability than a Cooper S:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: Oz Cooper Test Drive

eltel said:

$2,400 was BMW's official price. Within a few days that came down to $1,100. MINIACS thread on Prices and spec's of the Cooper S has been updated with current option prices. If you know of any more than I have been unable to get so far, send him a PM with the information and he will update it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Went for our test drive today down at sunny Geelong (near Melbourne) .
The dealer was really good , we each (wife & I) had about a 40km drive on nice quiet roads with plenty of bends and he didn't mind us giving it a bit of a squirt,even though it only had 27 km's on the clock.
The car looked really nice in BRG , didn't go for the white wheels though which had brake dust on them already.Only options on the car were the 16" 5 spokes & MFSW.
It handled really nicely ,the suspension quite firm and bumpy with hardly any roll. 17" wheels with S suspension will be interesting!
The steering was very direct , it did drift slightly to the left when I let go of the wheel, but nothing serious.
The engine felt a bit flat , but I'm sure the S will sought that out with an extra 35 kw.
Seats were very comfortable and had no complaints from the kids in the back. Central rev counter will take some getting used to . All up , very impressed and look forward to driving the S.

Andy

·
Registered
89 Posts
nice and steady 79kph!!

scored some tickets for the show from the dealer , have to arrange a meeting place .

·
Registered
89 Posts
:D Forgot to mention that the dealer did mention that we will be getting floor mats included in Dealer Delivery charge.

Not bad

Andy:D :D :D

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mats !

Andy, that's good news. But are they MINI, MINI Cooper, MINI Cooper S,.... or KMart?

Cooper S ones would be nice. I'll put them in the boot and use some KMart mats.

I wouldn't mind a boot storage unit as well.

Regards, Eltel

·
Registered
89 Posts
mats

I assume they are mini mats , will try and find out.
Have you organised a test drive yet ?
Basil I am only paying $1495 dealer delivery.

Andy

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: mats

MINICS said:
I assume they are mini mats , will try and find out.
Have you organised a test drive yet ?
Basil I am only paying $1495 dealer delivery.

Andy
Brisbane BMW are charging me $39,990 + 1650 delivery + 800 Stamp Duty + 518 Registration. $42,958AU OTR for a bog standard as it comes Cooper S. Nil options. As of 12/11/01

Should get a drive of a Cooper this week maybe, If I can fit it in.......

cheers

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Re: Re: mats

Basil said:

Brisbane BMW are charging me $39,990 + 1650 delivery + 800 Stamp Duty + 518 Registration. $42,958AU OTR for a bog standard as it comes Cooper S. Nil options. As of 12/11/01
Basil, I'm paying $995 delivery

Basil said:

Should get a drive of a Cooper this week maybe, If I can fit it in.......

cheers
Will that be in the BRG/white Cooper parked round back of Brisbane City BMW???

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: Re: mats

rich said:

Will that be in the BRG/white Cooper parked round back of Brisbane City BMW???
ello, rich is in (has been to) brisbane. Yep, either that one or a yellow one. They're "waiting for compliance plates" apparently......:rolleyes:

How come Brisbane BMW are ripping me off on delivery charges ?

Maybe in November they didn't know what the charges were. I can feel an e-mail to my dealer coming on.......:mad:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts