MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just come back from placing our deposit with our new dealer, who could not be more helpful about us and the mini, and he gave me a list of the spec (which BMW Group Australia handed to all the dealers)
1.6 supercharged 120kw engine
6 speed manual gearbox
traction control
Daytona 16\" alloy wheels with runflat tyres
sports supension plus settings
intercoller air intake on bonnet
specific bumpers, side grills, sills & roof spoiler
Body-coloured grille slats
Alloy Patina interior sufaces (incl, door trim)
sports seats
front fog lights
cloth/leather interior trim
air conditioning
in-dash CD player
Glovebox & seatback nets
Cigarette lighter & removable ashtray
Child restraint points
central tachometer & column-mounted speedometer
leather steering wheel & chrome gear knob
Head airbags

All for $39,900 + on road cost - cheap at half the price!I

Because the dealer is about a two hour drive away, we asked him about if they do car services on Saturday and he replied we will drive down to you during the week and pick the car up and leave you with a courties car and return your car when it\'s ready. He went on to say if you can make the effort to book the car with us, we will make the effort with you.

So if there are anybody out there thinking of buying a car in Melbourne Victoria I can highly recommend Peck & Stokes of Geelong.

Andy

·
Loves Leecey
4,758 Posts
Strange, are you the only country which put the \'S\' on Daytona alloys? The standard alloys for the S should be 16 inch X-lite (seen on the Electric Blue in the news item).

·
Sham's apprentice
721 Posts
On 17-11-2001 1:56 MINICS wrote:
Just come back from placing our deposit with our new dealer, who could not be more helpful about us and the mini, and he gave me a list of the spec (which BMW Group Australia handed to all the dealers)
1.6 supercharged 120kw engine
central tachometer & column-mounted speedometer
All for $39,900 + on road cost - cheap at half the price!I
Andy
Happy for you Andy. A couple of points to make. Did the dealer really tell you central tach and column-mounted speedo? That is opposite of what every photo and discussion indicate (perhaps you are so excited at the prospect that you mis-typed that one???)

39,900 australian sounds great as that would be just under 21k US!!! When can you get one? Happy for you :+

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Although I was excited, I did not get it wrong about the central techo. Apparently Australia is the only country in the world that will not accept a central speedo - does not meet Aus standards - strange but true.

The dealer indicated a May 02 delivery, but hearing about delays on this site I\'m looking at Jan 03 and If I get it any earlier it\'s a bonus.

Andy

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Shame about having to lose the Mini tradition of a central speedo.

But Andy, on Oz MINIs what is going to fill that large hole in the center of the dash if there is no nav system option ordered?

They aren\'t talking about the world\'s largest automotive clock are they?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Just adding a note of confirmation to the speedo/tacho issue. Australian ADR will not allow the speedometer to be fitted in the center of the vehicle so on oz spec cars the dials are reversed with the speedo above the steering column. Ironically they do not seem to care about having the indicator switch stay on the left hand side, which even as an British ex pat is at least amusing as the windscreen wipers go on everytime you indicate to turn. Oz spec cars will also get a glove box !. I have paid my 2.5% deposit for an "S" but will NOT be waiting around for it till 2003. BMW need to get their fingers out to ensure that those of us who have paid relatively big deposits for cars 6-7 months ahead of their release get their vehicles delivered on time.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Basil said:
Just adding a note of confirmation to the speedo/tacho issue. Australian ADR will not allow the speedometer to be fitted in the center of the vehicle so on oz spec cars the dials are reversed with the speedo above the steering column. Ironically they do not seem to care about having the indicator switch stay on the left hand side, which even as an British ex pat is at least amusing as the windscreen wipers go on everytime you indicate to turn. Oz spec cars will also get a glove box !. I have paid my 2.5% deposit for an "S" but will NOT be waiting around for it till 2003. BMW need to get their fingers out to ensure that those of us who have paid relatively big deposits for cars 6-7 months ahead of their release get their vehicles delivered on time.
Perhaps ADR doesn't really mean Australian Design Rules but instead ADR = Awfully Dumb Regulations? I guess they conveniently ignore the thousands of classic Minis made in Oz that had central speedos - or all the new MINIs that have been and will be sold worldwide with this feature? And I don't think there are many RHD vehicles still made with the turn signals on the right hand side of the steering column - not for sale in the UK anyway. The rest to the world has moved on and standardized with the signal stalk on the left no matter if its LHD OR RHD.

I understand the US will also get the glovebox - and since all the MINIs we get will come with a/c as standard equipment, it will also be refrigerated to keep food and drinks cold. :)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
OnlyS4me said:
Has anyone actually seen that glovebox ever yet:confused:
I haven't even heard very much of a description of the glovebox - other than it will be cooled. My guess is that it will be on the passenger side and mostly just be a door enclosing the shelve that already exists there on MINIs.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Japanese vehicles imported into oz are ALL Right Hand Drive with RH indicator stalks, as are locally made Holdens/Fords. Maybe it's just an odd ozzie thing. Imported Astra's, Vectra's etc all have their indicator stalks on the left hand side also. Personally I prefer it. Makes it a little different, and reminds me of good old blighty !

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
OnlyS4me said:
Has anyone actually seen that glovebox ever yet:confused:
Just thought i would bring this back to the front.

Neither The Tokyo S or Essen S had one..... strange that there are no photos around yet !

·
Registered
573 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceK
I haven't even heard very much of a description of the glovebox - other than it will be cooled. My guess is that it will be on the passenger side and mostly just be a door enclosing the shelve that already exists there on MINIs.
That little shelf is pretty small and a tad useless for keeping things in at the moment as the airbag is housed in the dashboard above it. I wonder how it will look with a door on and whether it will spoil the look of the dash?

Andy

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
An_S_4_Me said:

That little shelf is pretty small and a tad useless for keeping things in at the moment as the airbag is housed in the dashboard above it. I wonder how it will look with a door on and whether it will spoil the look of the dash?

Andy
As long as it's BLACK and not the Silver/Alum colour it should look ok. It's on US & OZ spec cars so far. I still think it odd there's no interior shot of it yet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Basil said:

As long as it's BLACK and not the Silver/Alum colour it should look ok. It's on US & OZ spec cars so far. I still think it odd there's no interior shot of it yet.
I was in a Cooper S on Saturday when placing my deposit. This car had the glovebox. It was finished nicely (black), and I was very surprised at how large it was. You could definitely fit serveral pairs of gloves in there!

Shawn

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
SHOCK!!!....AMAZEMENT !!!

scollins said:

I was in a Cooper S on Saturday when placing my deposit. This car had the glovebox. It was finished nicely (black), and I was very surprised at how large it was. You could definitely fit serveral pairs of gloves in there!

Shawn

YOU SAT IN A COOPER S......AT YOUR DEALER !!!!!!.. You say it so casually, as if it were an every day occurence....

Good Grief......... do you have access to a digital camera at all ?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Aus timings

Spoke to dealer today. Car on track for July. No S deliveries at all before this other than demo car in April. (Can't wait!) BMW gave dealer 2 colour options - EB & DS, and chose Electric Blue - dealer very anti-DS, due to bad experience shifting used Aspen Grey BMWs

Coopers arrive mid-Feb, but no deliveries till post Melbourne Grand Prix (end Feb). Test drives OK though

Other good news... Works packages to be sold in Aus (dunno when or how much) - Will wait & see how 163 horses feel first!

Bad news on my preferred wheels... R85 cross-spokes are a scary AUD 6726.50 per set of 4 wheels & runflats (not inc. trade-in on std wheels & tyres). Way out of my league!

Std S wheel in Aus remains 16" 5-spoke, though "normal" X-Lite is no cost option

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: SHOCK!!!....AMAZEMENT !!!

Basil said:

YOU SAT IN A COOPER S......AT YOUR DEALER !!!!!!.. You say it so casually, as if it were an every day occurence....
Hi Basil,

It wasn't an everyday occurance for me. Here's my thread dedicated to the glorious event...

Touched, Caressed and Sat in Cooper S!

Regards,
Shawn

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Aus timings

rich said:
Spoke to dealer today. Car on track for July. No S deliveries at all before this other than demo car in April. (Can't wait!) BMW gave dealer 2 colour options - EB & DS, and chose Electric Blue - dealer very anti-DS, due to bad experience shifting used Aspen Grey BMWs

Coopers arrive mid-Feb, but no deliveries till post Melbourne Grand Prix (end Feb). Test drives OK though

Other good news... Works packages to be sold in Aus (dunno when or how much) - Will wait & see how 163 horses feel first!

Bad news on my preferred wheels... R85 cross-spokes are a scary AUD 6726.50 per set of 4 wheels & runflats (not inc. trade-in on std wheels & tyres). Way out of my league!

Std S wheel in Aus remains 16" 5-spoke, though "normal" X-Lite is no cost option
What happened to your Indi Blue rich ?

Any news on actual spec yet ?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Re: Re: Aus timings

Basil said:

What happened to your Indi Blue rich ?

Any news on actual spec yet ?
...It's still just an abstract concept in my head - No build sheet filled in yet

Did I confuse matters with talk of EB colourway? This is the colour the dealer has chosen for his demo car. Personally, I'm not keen - I think it looks a bit wet - but will re-evaluate when I've actually seen it and Battleship Grey (sorry, Dark Silver) in the flesh;)

Regarding spec, no new news, i.e. standard 'S' spec gets:
16" alloy 5-spoke w/ runflats
SSP+
ASC+T (DSC is extra)
cloth/leather sports seats
aircon (not climate control)
Single CD/Radio Boost (4x20W)
Tinted windows
Chilled/Heated drinks cabinet/piewarmer (Glovebox) :D
Alu Patina trim
Leather knob & rim :eek:
2 Yrs Warranty + Roadside

...Plus all the usual stuff even the Dutch & Brits get ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts