MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vrooom
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The dreaded check engine light just came on.

My MCS is a stock 2005 model with 30,000 miles and just out of warranty.

I used my 'handy dandy' pocket logger to read the code and clear it. P0130 O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 - I'm assuming this is the pre-cat sensor ?

So it looks as though I'm in the market for a new sensor and a bit of 'wrenching' on the MCS.

Is there a DIY anywhere which explains how to gain access easily and a recommended supplier of the sensor ?

Not too keen on the local dealer after they changed my front disks and pads and didn't torque the wheel bolts correctly - nearly lost a wheel !

Thanks Tim

EDIT - OK -after a bit of checking around on the web and looking under the hood (bonnet) looks like an easy fix - assuming P0130 refers to the pre-cat sensor. It's easily accessible by gently bending the heat shield out of the way and using a special 22mm wrench.

·
N.O.T.R.A.M.O.O
140 Posts
You are right, P0130 is the code for the "pre-cat" or "upstream" sensor... P0136 is the same fault (sensor circuit failure) on the downstream sensor.

It is an easy job to replace... but if it is tight, your knuckles are gonna bleed! :rolleyes:

·
Vrooom
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
data logging & knuckles..

oh yes - knuckle rash if it's semi seized, so I'll wear my mechanics gloves just in case :)

So I cleared the error code and data logged the voltage for an hour while driving - it appears to be in spec and working fine.

None the less I'll keep logging it until it throws the warning code again - then look at the data to see what's going on.
Could just be a loose connection, but everything looks fine for now at least.

Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
The dreaded check engine light just came on.

My MCS is a stock 2005 model with 30,000 miles and just out of warranty.

I used my 'handy dandy' pocket logger to read the code and clear it. P0130 O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 - I'm assuming this is the pre-cat sensor ?

So it looks as though I'm in the market for a new sensor and a bit of 'wrenching' on the MCS.

Is there a DIY anywhere which explains how to gain access easily and a recommended supplier of the sensor ?

Not too keen on the local dealer after they changed my front disks and pads and didn't torque the wheel bolts correctly - nearly lost a wheel !

Thanks Tim

EDIT - OK -after a bit of checking around on the web and looking under the hood (bonnet) looks like an easy fix - assuming P0130 refers to the pre-cat sensor. It's easily accessible by gently bending the heat shield out of the way and using a special 22mm wrench.
I have an '04 with 257k miles second engine, third gearbox. Never replaced cat or O2 sensors. Had transient P0130's since about 30K. Unable to pin down a cause or even a diagnosed problem. I just threw my OBDII reader/eraser in the back seat and it takes about 2 minutes or less to clear it. Love my MINI! Hate that bug!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts