MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new poster here! I've owned my 2011 Countryman for almost exactly a year now (previously drove a 2005 Cooper S), and have run into my first issues.
It started with the high-pressure fuel pump, which I had replaced, and it solved the issue I was seeing with misfires just after starting the engine. However, upon picking the car up from the shop, the check engine light was showing a new code: "P053A - Engine Positive Crankcase Ventilation heating system, control activation: open circuit." The shop performed various ECM updates to no avail, and eventually replaced the plastic tube with the heating elements in it (yesterday). This also did nothing to clear the code.
My hope now is that perhaps the heater relay (K6539) or fuse is bad, but I cannot find which fuse it is. All of the fuses in the engine bay fuse box are ok, but the cabin fuse box has so many - does anone know which fuse it might be?

Of note: I just discovered water in the car (can hear it when suddenly breaking, but the floor mats aren't wet or anything), which the mechanic says might be messing with the electronics. I'm fairly certain the water is a new issue (I only recently started leaving puddles everywhere I park), but it would seem unlikely that the water is causing this error code alone.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Might check A/C drains under car and clear. Might be accumulating water in heater core area and getting into wires. Clean drains and see if more water and dirt come out. Rubber tube next to exhaust area, sticks out so you can see it squeeze and poke something carefully to free up drain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, new poster here! I've owned my 2011 Countryman for almost exactly a year now (previously drove a 2005 Cooper S), and have run into my first issues.
It started with the high-pressure fuel pump, which I had replaced, and it solved the issue I was seeing with misfires just after starting the engine. However, upon picking the car up from the shop, the check engine light was showing a new code: "P053A - Engine Positive Crankcase Ventilation heating system, control activation: open circuit." The shop performed various ECM updates to no avail, and eventually replaced the plastic tube with the heating elements in it (yesterday). This also did nothing to clear the code.
My hope now is that perhaps the heater relay (K6539) or fuse is bad, but I cannot find which fuse it is. All of the fuses in the engine bay fuse box are ok, but the cabin fuse box has so many - does anone know which fuse it might be?

Of note: I just discovered water in the car (can hear it when suddenly breaking, but the floor mats aren't wet or anything), which the mechanic says might be messing with the electronics. I'm fairly certain the water is a new issue (I only recently started leaving puddles everywhere I park), but it would seem unlikely that the water is causing this error code alone.

Any ideas?
Did you figure it out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you figure it out?
Yep, spent some more money at a MINI-specialty shop, they quickly discovered that the heater simply hadn’t been plugged in properly. I mentioned they replaced the tubing with the heater, but they failed to plug it in all the way so it didn’t register. Ugh. Anyway that’s the story...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm stilling getting the code and I played with those wires nothing happened? I cleared the code start it, shut it off and start it. The engine light is back on . These mini don't have a pxv valve its in the valve cover

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm stilling getting the code and I played with those wires nothing happened? I cleared the code start it, shut it off and start it. The engine light is back on . These mini don't have a pxv valve its in the valve cover
Hello Timv, were you able to figure out what was the problem? I am having the same problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep, spent some more money at a MINI-specialty shop, they quickly discovered that the heater simply hadn’t been plugged in properly. I mentioned they replaced the tubing with the heater, but they failed to plug it in all the way so it didn’t register. Ugh. Anyway that’s the story...
Hello, can you tell me where is this tube with heater element located? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, can you tell me where is this tube with heater element located? Thanks.

The code P053A is responsible for the sensor mounted on the pipe connecting the valve cover and the air inlet supply. They connect just before the turbo. The error is for open circuit - meaning only one of two things:#1. The plug is not all the way in and the sensor is disconnected (open circuit).#2. The sensor/he is damaged, also no current can flow, no data can be obtained,etc.(open circuit again). I hope this helps.
When this appears alone, you will likely not have the symptoms you can find everywhere, i.g. rough idle, sluggish oil, moisture,pcv;

1 - 10 of 10 Posts