MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the group. I have a 2015 Cooper sd Paceman..lovely car ..However with 63k and full service the timing chain has gone.1664+vat to diagnose at main dealer..If just chain gone ( not likely ) 2200+ vat to repair. 2 major components and new engine...8-9k...I have sourced an engine with 11k for 1400 plus 650 to fit..Anyone else had the issues or luck pursuing BMW for compo ??

· Registered
591 Posts
Cannot help with details of successful claims. You are in the UK I guess (the vat thing) so I would contact Trading Standards and The Motor Ombudsman plus MINI UK. 4 years old and 63K miles is way below the expected life of an engine with full service history. Even out of warranty you have recourse for a failure of a major component (i.e. engine) for what is reasonably expected of a vehicle's life span. 100K miles at least especially as MINI does not include timing chain replacement on it's regular maintenance schedule that I know of.
Good luck.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
As above, if it's been fully serviced from Mini, try contacting the dealer who dealt with your car to resolve the problems and they'll probably/hopefully ask Mini UK for some sort of "goodwill" gesture towards the repair costs on your behalf.

· Registered
13,579 Posts
good luck with making a claim off them dont think i have ever heard of anyone do it successively..
as for has anyone heard of this problem before search this BMW N47 TIMING CHAIN PROBLEMS internet is riddled with stuff about how poor and how a rip off how bmw refuse to face up to these failures,, BBC watch dog done a tv programme on it contacted bmw and bmw denied any problem and that it was on a hand full of cars that were not serviced by them or in correct way or driver abused blah blah everything but the truth,, ie still 13 years down the road these engines are still doing their party trick ie timing chains that are mounted on the rear of engine that doubles the repair bill in labour, a chain that is to thin to take the loads from twin camshaft with vanos and vvt and a high pressure fuel pump and balance shafts all add load,
i had someone on here the other day thinking of buying a n47 diesel mini that after doing that search decided to treat it like a dose of the clap,
most stupid or most clever design bmw ever made depending if your the owner or the garage fixing it i guess

· Registered
13,579 Posts
After all the problems, are there aftermarket chains that improve on the design? Stronger, more rows of links...something?
not that i'm a aware of below link is what i tend to use a lot as good as genuine might be a tad better but think its all down to the design the width and amount the tention'r pushes on it to keep the load on the sprocket that have high loads on the chain as such, the only way i think they could improve it is by wider chains and wider sprockets or fit duplex chains another way forward,
someone could get fairly rich if designed a harder chain and better bottom sprocket as this wears a lot
https://www.faiauto.com/parts/timing-chain-kits/

Reactions: knt

· Registered
1,302 Posts
You're mike1967, I'm suprised that none of the performance aftermarket parts company have try doing uprated/upgraded parts for this. We can buy uprated/upgraded everything nowadays from parts that makes a difference to parts that don't really improve anything.

· Registered
13,579 Posts
You're mike1967, I'm suprised that none of the performance aftermarket parts company have try doing uprated/upgraded parts for this. We can buy uprated/upgraded everything nowadays from parts that makes a difference to parts that don't really improve anything.
yep i know its nuts you take the company's that do forged parts to make the prince engines stronger to add more power, but you would think these company's would fix the real weak or serviceable part the timing chain.

Reactions: knt

· Registered
2 Posts
New to the group. I have a 2015 Cooper sd Paceman..lovely car ..However with 63k and full service the timing chain has gone.1664+vat to diagnose at main dealer..If just chain gone ( not likely ) 2200+ vat to repair. 2 major components and new engine...8-9k...I have sourced an engine with 11k for 1400 plus 650 to fit..Anyone else had the issues or luck pursuing BMW for compo ??
Looking for a replacement engine, same issue, where did you get your engine from please

· Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,624 Posts
Looking for a replacement engine, same issue, where did you get your engine from please
have you opened yours up to see what it actually wants?

· Registered
13,579 Posts
most likely find your old engine is saveable , wont go far wrong getting exclusive to repair that ,, if were petrol n18 n16 petrol engine then I do a lot of those I tend to avoid the diesel n47 engines , as tend to be a unknown until apart,, trouble with the used from breaker engines is they are not cheap and chances are with 60k plus on them not far off chain failing again anyway ,, better off rebuilt and no its sorted,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts