MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Now with S power!
23,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can you tell when the pads are going.

I have done 22k miles and been on mountain passes so feel that they should have worn by now. They are starting to make a graunching sound when cold but the light still hasnt come on. i want to get as much mileage out of them as possible so dont want to take it to the dealers as they will probably say straight off they need changing.

it still stops fine and i think the graunching is just deposits on the discs. how long after the light comes on does it have till it must be changed. its a sept 03 cooper.

cheers

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
now done nearly 40k in mine, still no warning light, so took the wheels off to check them, and they still have half of pad left.

Once the light comes on I have a full set of greenstuff to go on the car so can't wait:)

·
Now with S power!
23,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rakey said:
now done nearly 40k in mine, still no warning light, so took the wheels off to check them, and they still have half of pad left.

Once the light comes on I have a full set of greenstuff to go on the car so can't wait:)

40k!! wow i was banking on a big bill coming. you have made my day somewhat better. :D

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Matt18 said:
40k!! wow i was banking on a big bill coming. you have made my day somewhat better. :D
I am totally surprised myself, as others have had to do a change at about 23k, but its all down to driving style and roads you drive. I used to do lots of motorways and I hardly brake when going into corners:p

Overall the MINI is a very solid and long service interval car, only had to top up oil last week, first time since buying, well there was a dealer oil change in there so that helped;)

Oh and the full set of Greenstuffs I brought off e-bay for £50 for front and back, bargain:D

·
Now with S power!
23,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rakey said:
I am totally surprised myself, as others have had to do a change at about 23k, but its all down to driving style and roads you drive. I used to do lots of motorways and I hardly brake when going into corners:p

Overall the MINI is a very solid and long service interval car, only had to top up oil last week, first time since buying, well there was a dealer oil change in there so that helped;)

Oh and the full set of Greenstuffs I brought off e-bay for £50 for front and back, bargain:D

what is greenstuff

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Rakey said:

Check that the sensors are on your car... early models don't have them (as I found out to my cost :rolleyes: )

Also, I'm not sure if they're only on one side of the car (as in most continental cars) or on all four corners.

I'd just bin the stocks and get the Greenstuffs on straight away :D:D

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
ButtonIt said:
Check that the sensors are on your car... early models don't have them (as I found out to my cost :rolleyes: )

Also, I'm not sure if they're only on one side of the car (as in most continental cars) or on all four corners.

I'd just bin the stocks and get the Greenstuffs on straight away :D:D
did wonder where you were Bruv, a thread about brakes, just up your street I was thinking:)

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
Not been on here for a while, busy with other stuff.

Seriously Bruv, chuck the oem pads and stick the greenies on soonish. You'll notice a huge difference. I'd have had the Greenies on mine by now if BMW hadn't swapped the last lot recently. Saying that, I might stick them on when I get back from Oz.

Most of my cars have had Greenstuff pads on them and they make a nice difference.

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
matt to give you some indication of the effects of stelvio mountain passes on your brake pads.

ive just changed mine @ 28,000 miles, i was down to 1mm on each pad and alarm had not been triggered.

Just be carefull changing to green stuff pads as they are not officially recognised BWM parts, you might end up with your dealer refusing to service under TLC and recognise your warranty. A few people have been caught out by this. I went with stock brakes.

·
www.totalmini*****
15,256 Posts
The only part of the warranty they will affect is the brakes, and only if BMW can prove that the Greenstuff pads caused the problem. ;)

Also, any dealer that is going to refuse an Oil change (cause that's all it is really) because of different pads is not worth your business.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So have you guys chaged your brakes yet then? i had the light come on on friday after 19k!!! mind you i am quite heavy with my right foot!! i had expected them to last a bit longer though.

How much do you reckon it should be costing to get them done? BM's labour is expensive isnt it, do you reckon it will affect trade in value if i get them done by a mate?

·
almost 59k
5,117 Posts
the BMW pads were £43 front and £50 rear, the rest was labour and VAT i guess. but then BMW are more expensive on labour rates... In the end i was down to 1mm so they needed to be done there and then considering my daily commute i was running the risk of damaging the discs!:D sometimes you dont have a choice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.