MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't recall seeing anything on this so here goes...
Is the paint and seat protection worth the £199 ?
I have a few days left to decide....?
My dealer tells me it is resilient to stone chips and removes the need to polish the car and adds a bit of value !
All advise greatky received !:)

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
I've finalised my spec and am waiting for delivery around the 20th. You don't need to order it with the spec (I don't think?).

I'm not gonna go for the seal protection. I've already put £250 towards the metallic colour already!

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
If it is anything like the stuff in the US. DON"T DO IT!!!

All it is a fancy term for wax that they charge you an arm and a leg for. Same goes for any undercoating or life insurance they sell you. Just a way for the dealers to milk you for that last dime, well ....farthing, shilling, penny, quid....whatever.

Save your hard earned money for some performance or look-good goodies.

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
Don't do it!
Check out this link. Go about 2/3 of the way down the page to the blue box "Typical Extras at Closing" and read from there to the bottom. Gives good insight into these rip-offs.
Dealer scams and rip-offs

·
Registered
632 Posts
smartbomb said:
Is the paint and seat protection worth the £199 ?
Not sure about the seats but I`d personally never go for the `paint protection` though the Dealer would rather you did of course.

Ps: must be clever stuff to offer better resistance to stone chips - perhaps the manufacturers could mix the magic ingredient in with the paint?

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Stone Chips?

My poor bonnet looks like its done a low level mission to Afghanistan. Its not just chipped, its actually dented! I am having trouble keeping up with the repairs. Does anyone know if you can get a plastic protective film, preferably reinforced with Kevlar?

If things don't improve I'l have to employ a man to walk in front with a red flag. Or maybe a white one , second thoughts.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Re: Stone Chips?

Apial said:

If things don't improve I'l have to employ a man to walk in front with a red flag. Or maybe a white one , second thoughts.
I can probably get you in touch with some students at Harlaxton College in Grantham that would be willing to carry either color flag for beer money..... I attended there in 1987, we American students were always hurting for money after discovering WH Smiths sold liquor to underage (21) students.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies...
I wasn't tempted enough, but would have considered it had it been something special....

·
Spectator
1,563 Posts
Re: Stone Chips?

Apial said:
My poor bonnet looks like its done a low level mission to Afghanistan. Its not just chipped, its actually dented! I am having trouble keeping up with the repairs. Does anyone know if you can get a plastic protective film, preferably reinforced with Kevlar?
Stonegard only lists headlight protection so far, for $49.95USD.

Chip H.

·
Registered
14 Posts
smartbomb said:
Thanks for the replies...
I wasn't tempted enough, but would have considered it had it been something special....
Autoglym do an extra hard finish resin polish (apologies Ive forgotten their full title for the stuff) to go on top of their ordinary resin polish...its about £15...and provides an extra tough layer of protection.

It might be worth investigating.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just a bit of inside information.There are two products that i know of.Diamond brite and sureguard.Both are good if
you keep on top of them, washing the car every month in the soap provided. It will not protect against stone chips but will protect against carwash scratches as long as it is not done in one every week.It stops bird muck eating into paint if washed off quick enough.You just have to follow a few simple tasks.
As an experienced valeter, I think it is over priced. You can get the same results from polishing your car every couple of months. :(

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I think I'm gonna give it a miss, besides I'm getting d**ked about at the mo.....
I know a couple of guys who use a valeters 'trade' polish and its fantastic stuff and really cheap ! So I'll hassle them for a bit more....

·
Enjoying Married Life!
501 Posts
paint protection

smartbomb,

I know you've decided against it now anyway, so this is a bit late, but referring back to your original question:

Paint Protection/executive paint protection/jewelultra/diamondbrite/diamondglaze/supaguard etc.... all for sale somewhere between £149 and £399 to have applied to your car. It costs the dealer circa £17 plus VAT. Yes Seventeen pounds. It's applied by valeters (or bored salesman with nothing else to do) and takes about 45 minutes from start to finish.

It doesn't guarantee against stonechips, it doescn't really offer much protection against them. If you read the small print it will tell you that all bird droppings, tar etc must be removed from the car immediately so as not to invalidate the guarantee (same as you would if a bird crapped on your unpreotected paintwork!).

Bottom line...it's not worth the money.

p.s. I sell the stuff.
pps. I hope my boss isn't reading this.

nc

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Neil,
Thanks for that. I'm pleased I didn't cave in and opt for the protection. £200 is pretty steep and it lasts 3 years....so it gradually wears off or vanishes on it's 3rd birthday !?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Paint Protection

I have to try and sell this stuff as well. I could sit here and try and sell the bloody stuf but I can't be bothered. At the end of the day, like was said before the packs cost about £20-50 depending on which pack you go for. I had my Mini done becasue I got one of the valeters at work to do it for me as a favour,but if I was going to pay £200 I would not bother, a few layers of wax will do the same job.

P.s If any of my customers are reading this Supaguard is great I would recommend it to anyone it will make you Renault worth loads more when you come to p/x it in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
The dealer rang me today and tried to fob me off with paint protection. He was surprised, after his extensive plug that I said no...

·
Bad Dog, Moderator
798 Posts
It must be nice...

To be able to say "NO". We're getting hosed here in the states with these "extra value" add-ons. Many of us have gotten a "take it or leave it" response from our dealers and demand will far exceed supply on the MINI for a long time.

A question for my UK cousins:

What is the popular view of car dealers over there? Here in the US they (especially used car dealers) are thought of a a sleazy bunch. If a writer for a movie script needs a scuzzy, fast talking, less than honest character, they usually make the character a car dealer.

·
Bring the noise
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For sleaze look no further than a car salesman ! Eastate agents are pretty close.
You can always hear the groan from the crown when a game show contestant replies with either on the occupation front.....

Sorry Tim !!

As for the paint protection, my dealer knew he was up against a brick wall....! Likewise the finance guy...I mean at £200 and 3.9% they are virtually giving you the car, right !?

:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts