MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, this is my first post here on MINI2. I just want to thank all of you for the immense amount of information you have given me. I first found this website back in February when I was researching cars to buy. You all helped my make my decision to buy a MINI.

I have not really made any mods to my MINI yet, but I do have a few in mind to start off with.
Aero grill, '05 armrest, tail lights (not sure which), zenon headlight bulbs, and painted headlights (I think it will look sweet with the body colour or a gunmetal colour.

I have done several searched for anyone with painted headlights but found only this picture. I wanted to know if anyone was familiar with this or have done this before.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why would you want to cover up anything so fantastic as the Xenon Headlights?
They are absolute works of art - it would be sacrilege to paint them over...
Just look at the picture

Attachments

·
what happened to that boy
1,626 Posts
i'd be interested in this also. would it just be a case of taking apart the headlight modules and painting the bit? also i guess we'd have to think about the heat generated from the bulbs and the effect on the paint. looks nice indeed. Also another thing which would be cool is tinted film, like a yellow or something to go over the headlights.

·
2,756 Posts
I too am another who would be interested in doing the painted headlight bit.

If anybody could advise how to do it?

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is actually pretty difficult to do. We have done some but the first time we destroyed the headlight - they are glued together very very well and BMW do not do replacment clear covers.
If you take the light apart carefully it can be reglued. The heat is not a problem if the area is prepared properly. Looks great when done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hope that guy was OK.
The front section is for cosmetics only and is fine to paint - the section surrounding the bulb is a reflector and should not be painted.
As with almost all modifications this work will render the car illegal.

·
what happened to that boy
1,626 Posts
is it ok to put a lightly tinted yellow film over the headlights? like the headlight protectors you get but with a tint in them. i've seen this done before in some pics of minis at SEMA a year or two ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I plan on doing this modification over my chistmas break, but does anyone have pictures of the headlight disassembled? I would like to know what i will be dealing with. thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
painting the headlights is not hard, but you do need alot of skills..... if your a 1st timer, you might or you will damage your stock headlights..... i'ved been clearing/painting factory headlights for living since 1994 (retired on 2002), so i know all the problems that might accure, even if your able to perform the work, if the headlights are not seal properly, it will leak or fog-up....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.