MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am keen to get my wing mirrors the same colour as my mini (CR). Because I have a ONE the current mirrors are matt black, Has anyone tired painting the wing mirrors? if so how easy is it and are the results reasonable? I was quoted over £100 if i want to buy some from a dealer !!!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
trialsride said:
I am keen to get my wing mirrors the same colour as my mini (CR). Because I have a ONE the current mirrors are matt black, Has anyone tired painting the wing mirrors? if so how easy is it and are the results reasonable? I was quoted over £100 if i want to buy some from a dealer !!!
My dealer recently painted a mates wing mirrors CRed, results were good but they advised against painting the matt covers. Luckily enough they had a spare pair of white covers lying around. They charged her £40 ;)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
No, I wouldn't paint the matt covers. They're not designed for paint and I've often seen such plastics with paint peeling off them.

·
SUCKIN DIESEL!!!!
7,669 Posts
This first time I go mine done the results wern't good, started to flake eventually,

Mate done em again for me, he used Highbuild primer on them prior to painting, havn't looked back since! ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice above, will have to look into getting my hands on some CR or white mirrors on ebay. Or I could try the wanted section of the forum :rolleyes:

·
Registered
668 Posts
They look far better in CR. The dealer did it before delivery, quoted £40+VAT per mirror but did it for nothing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RedMini said:
They look far better in CR. The dealer did it before delivery, quoted £40+VAT per mirror but did it for nothing.

Very nice :) I am playing with the idea of having the whole wing mirror like yours or just the cover :rolleyes:

·
Registered
668 Posts
trialsride said:
I am playing with the idea of having the whole wing mirror like yours or just the cover :rolleyes:
I've seen just the cover done in CR and IMHO painting the complete assembly looks far better.

·
Official MINI2 Fluffer
5,261 Posts
I had the covers and mirror stalks painted by a Chips away type bloke. It cost £100 for both and the side indicator vents. He said the key was preparation and using a highly flexible paint and primer. Not had any problems with it in the time I had the car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The matt black covers will paint fine if they are correctly prepared. As others say above the secret is preparation.
Plastics need to be chemically clean - you must remove grease, wax, and polish before sanding the items so that the paint sticks. This is done with liquid preparation products.
The item must then be thoroughly sanded. We would use a 180grit wet n dry.
The items are then painted with adhesion promoter which is left to soak into the plastic for about half an hour (some products vary), then plastic primer and colour coat.
All paint must have a flexible additive added into the paint.
If you miss any stage the paint is likely to peel - nothing to do with the original covers only the preparation and products used. This is a better preparation procedure than BMW use and will ensure that the mirrors last for ages.
Whilst we use professional bodyshop products - everything you need is available at your local accessory shop and modern aerosols spray very well indeed.

·
Nichola
121 Posts
Help

Ok where do i start, i want my wing mirrors (not just caps) colour coded to cool blue and so far ive been told lots of different answers.

Stephen james mini dealer in Enfiled quoted 136.50 labour and 40 materials and needs car for a couple of days

Sewell in bishops stortford said they dont recommend it as it will peel and i cant buy new ones already painted cool blue, only crome white black or checked

and Cool new said 60 but need the car for a few days ?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
MINIchola said:
Ok where do i start, i want my wing mirrors (not just caps) colour coded to cool blue and so far ive been told lots of different answers.

Stephen james mini dealer in Enfiled quoted 136.50 labour and 40 materials and needs car for a couple of days

Sewell in bishops stortford said they dont recommend it as it will peel and i cant buy new ones already painted cool blue, only crome white black or checked

and Cool new said 60 but need the car for a few days ?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
I wouldn't even order anything from Cool New, never mind leave a car with them:eek:

Surely the caps are available for those that order a MCSC with body mirrors?;) So get them ordered, the rest, well thats going to have to done aftermarket, and choose your painter wisely based on the advise in here about primer and paints used:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts