MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what type of adhesive is used to bond the rear quarter panel to the fuel filler aperture?

It's time to repair a rust hole that's developed and I have a section of quarter panel from a wreck that I plan to use.

The donor section of quarter panel has the round fuel filler hole and the bottom section of the filler hole bonded to its back side . The adhesive is a matt black colour and fills a gap that's about 5mm wide. It has the texture and flexibility of solid rubber. I don't think it's urethane based.

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
241 Posts
Sounds like it could possibly be Loctite black RTV silicone adhesive.

There are charts online that will help you select the Loctite product you need based on your intended use.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I went with Sika 252:

This is what the local panel/paint shop recommended.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was quite interesting cutting the section with rust out. The seal-sealer/adhesive was completely different to that on the donor piece. It was more like a black foam the consistency of a scotch pad. It didn't seal the joint, in fact it was soaking wet from when I gave the car a wash. So either the early R53 (mine is a build 02/02 used different panel bond, or my Mini had been in an accident prior to me getting it Anyway, I'm glad to have found the cause of the rust.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
sometimes just as easy to use something like krust rust convertor and repaint over the top with anti rust under coat if have no rust holes, if have holes then welded is better,, i done a van about 7 years ago with that process and still now its rusty around where its been repaired but not when its been treated, so many diffent brands of same kind of stuff out there, 3M one also can buy more expensive 2pac types where a hardener is used ie this is used on alloy to plastic or carbons together,, lotus were one of first to use it on making cars,, think it came from the boat making industries or formula 1 i would expect was first place used,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts