MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Back In A Clubman 23yr On
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys........please put my mind at ease.....quickly!!!!

My Dooper is sat on the drive, parked since 1700hrs.
Whilst washing it shortly after parking, I heard an electrical whining sound under the bonnet.
I assumed that this was due with it having recently been driven, part of a cooling sequence or similar....no great stress.
However, I have just been out on the drive to aquire the paint code to give to the bodyshop for my JCW front bumper.....and it's still doing it intermittently....WTF????

Can someone please put me at ease??

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
i think that usually happens right before they explode? :confused: :p

best keep it away from small kids and pets just in case ... :eek:

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its fine ;) Mine used to do it and others have as well ;)
I've read many of your previous posts regarding your problematic Dooper (a.k.a. Puzzle The 1st) but am I not right in thinking that your issues were more to do with the activation and noise from the cooling fan??

Mine is definitely a fairly quiet, high pitched whine/whistle, eminating from the nearside of the engine, like a high pressure pump or similar........did you experience this??
I wondered (and looked for info on other threads) if there was a system in place whereby the turbo oil was periodically flushed whilst it cooled in an attempt to prolong bearing life :confused:

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
Yea, mine did make the high pitched whining noise, I think it is to do with it all cooling down and shutting off....some BMWs take up to 20 minutes to 'shut down' I believe...and dad's diesel FreelanderII also makes the same noises :)

·
Derv? Nein Danke.
130 Posts
My Cooper S has an electric cooling pump which emits a high pitch noise when working, and I assume the Dooper has the same.

My cooling pump cuts in and out when its parked up for quite a long time and you'll find most turbo's are still pretty warm 2 hours after being driven (possibly warm enough to trigger the cooling stat). The fact the turbo is located in quite a confined space possibly inhibts the speed it cools down at.

If you notice it again after a couple of hours, I'd be inclined to lift the bonnet and tentatively feel around the engine to see if its hot/warm enough to cause the cooling pump to kick in. If its stone cold but the cooling pump is still cycling then I'd be looking at visiting the dealer. :smile:

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Dooper does the same, I found it quite amusing when I got out of the car once and locked the door only to hear the fan still going as if it was never turned off. Was a bit worried at first about leaving it like that, but defo normal I was told. Works a bit like a turbo timer on other 'sports and performance cars' I guess. Theres also an electronic noise emitting from mine from time to time, almost as if the alarm/imobiliser is trying to communicate with me - lol.

Kimmy

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Guys......you've put my mind at rest.

It is the high pitched, electrical type noise that I have noticed......upto may be 3 hours after parking.
Yep, I flt the turbo and it was still warm, which lead me to the thought that it might be a cooling pump/relay system....which you have basically confirmed. ;);)

Additional thanks must go the MOD who sorted out my terrible spelling in the thread title......shocking, truly shocking :redface::redface::redface:

·
Registered
96 Posts
It's the fuel pump and perfectly normal. It will do it when you switch off the engine and will also do it when you unlock the car. Go try...

·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the fuel pump and perfectly normal. It will do it when you switch off the engine and will also do it when you unlock the car. Go try...
To be honest.....I don't think it is :hmph:

I am familiar with the presurisation of fuel systems etc, but this is very different....and is vicinal to the top offside of the engine......I believe cooling related as previously suggested by others.

·
Registered
96 Posts
To be honest.....I don't think it is :hmph:

I am familiar with the presurisation of fuel systems etc, but this is very different....and is vicinal to the top offside of the engine......I believe cooling related as previously suggested by others.
My brother-in-law is a mechanic (they call them techs now) at a Mini dealer and advised it's the fuel lines priming or de-priming. Of course you could be speaking about some other noise but if it's the high pitched whistle that comes on when you unlock the car then we are talking about the same thing and it's behaving as intended. It should do it for about 2 or 3 minutes after engine switch off or unlocking the car.

Oh and when you're cooling fan comes on for no apparant reason that's the DPF regeneration and again perfectly normal.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm going to echo what everyone else has said and say the noises are normal:D

Glad the electronic whistling type one has been explained, I had wondered what that one was - just assumed it was something alarm related.
As for the fan, that's normal too...apparently...still a sore point to most Dooper owners either way:p

·
Oh good grief!
5,277 Posts
As for the fan, that's normal too...apparently...still a sore point to most Dooper owners either way:p
I thought this had been sorted by MINI, something to do with a sensor that needed moving! ;)

I've yet to have a problem with mine, even in the heat of St. Tropez! :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I thought this had been sorted by MINI, something to do with a sensor that needed moving! ;)
How recently sorted?
I took mine in about 2-3 weeks ago. I had a sensor changed for the alarm (in the roof or something). They coldn't find anything with the fan - and it done it yesterday:confused:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Can a MOD do a sticky at the top of the Cooper D section for this? Fan noise is normal and caused by DPF regenerating:

Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) : Diesel particulate filters - The AA
I was under that impression anyway, both from what I read here and when my car went in to have the alarm and the fan checked out. From experience of dealing with a variety of people at the dealers, it doesn't seem as its common knowledge.

A sticky in this section might help any new dooper owners out if they're concerned though:smile:

·
Registered
31 Posts
its funny,
I get nervous when I park the car and don't hear the whiining.........makes me believe my dooper really has the soul of something more than just a tin-pot 1.6 :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loud Fan

The fan on the mini is loud, but should stop when the engine is off. My one didn´t last night. After searching for 10 mins, I found that it only went off if I took the fuse out. The problem is the relay that is located behind the radiator. To get to it, you need to remove the bumper ( 2 nuts and 6 screws), then remove the crash structure ( 8 nuts and 1 bolt). Undo the 2 bolts holding the aircon radiator, and let it swing loose CAREFULLY. Pull out the black pins holding the radiator bushes, undo the clip on the top of the radiator hose( a small amount of water will be released).
The radiator will now fall forward. There is a small box with 2, 8mm bolts. Remove these and there is the relay!!! Refit is reverse of removal. Do not forget to add a little water and then BLEED the reconected hose when the engine is running. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Why oh why on earth did you do that?!?!?!?!:confused:

It's designed to run on past switch off to prevent cylinder head damage (it's aluminium and prone to warping) caused by heat soak! :aargh:

I do hope you've put it back else you could end up with a cooked engine and a very large bill. Oh and before you ask yes the fan is normal, yes it's loud and yes it's the DPF regeneration.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts