MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into the dealership today!

Parking Distance Control has just come out!

I am ofcourse having it...only paying £100 :D Very cheap me thinks!

My MINI Cooper is meant to arrive May 18 but at present MINI's are arriving 2 weeks early! Excellent

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I thought it was £200 :confused: :confused:

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
smiffy said:
I thought it was £200 :confused: :confused:
It's price in the US is $300 which is about £200, but on a car that's 12 feet long, why would you need it? :confused:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a parking space at work and the number of times I have ramed into the posts that mark the spaces is crazy!...this way it stops me doing it!

Anywa..its another gadget, and I like it!

It is £200 but becuase my dealer made some errors in the adding up of my quote he knocked a bit off...and I get it on my birthday so its a pressie, along with tlc! :D

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
groovy_jr said:
I have a parking space at work and the number of times I have ramed into the posts that mark the spaces is crazy!...this way it stops me doing it!
Not a woman by any chance are you :confused: :confused: :D :D :D :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Since you've had so much practice :p why not just back up the MINI to the point where the X5 crashes into the posts and stop there? :eek: You'll have several feet of distance to spare! :D :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quite true...but have you seen the size of X5 bumpers! MINI would get easily damaged! Anyway...I am having the gimic of pdc!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The way I see it, £100 or £200 is less than it'll take for a scraped bumper!

The number of times I've laughed at people for backing into posts, etc. and I have to admit that last year I reversed into something that was below the view out of my real window, a real parking sensor would have picked up what my eye couldn't. It was only a bumper scrape but it's still a few £££'s worth of repair that could have been avoided, or could have at least paid for some thing to avoid it!

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Beep......................Beep...........Beep.....Beep...Beep..Beep.Beep.Beep.Beep.
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Bang !!!.........

PDC works a treat....

:D

·
Registered
451 Posts
berry, berry interesting

I find it curious that several people (unnamed) on this forum rush to judgement and criticise mr.bill for his critical comments of a car he doesn't own, but you all do the same in this thread making fun of someone wanting to equip their MINI with park distance control, when I am willing to bet, have not ever owned or even driven a car with PDC. Hypocrisy?--I should say so.

Does anyone remember the account of the Driven 3 car comparison test in January, thru France to Monaco and back to GB in a MINI Cooper, an Alfa Romeo and a Clio? I seem to recall that one of 4Car's professional drivers in that test backed the MINI into a 'Cornish Hedge' causing damage to the rear bumper.

So you think you're better at backing a car than someone who tests cars full-time for a living? :p

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Hmmmm.......

I've noticed a few comments like this getting around the place.

Again, If someone has a problem with a post, I really think the proper course of action is to report it to a moderator. There is a button to do this.

All I do is add what I consider to be a bit of humour, and not, I repeat NOT, at the expense of the originator of the question, post or thread. mr.bill you will find, has a sense of humour, and knows that we all love him really.

If the consensus goes against those that are humorous, then please say so. I've left MINI2.com before on these issues, and am quite happy to do so again.

If you can't have a laugh and interact here, then what's the point.

thanks

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I have to admit I laughed when I was told my Mum's beemer was going to come with PDC as standard! I think I recall saying something along the lines of "Isn't that for people who can't drive and old people?"

I have to say I hold my hand up and say Sorry! Because I was wrong. PDC is really cool, especially on a car like the 3 series Coupe, you can't see the back of the car due to a lip on the Parcel Shelf kind of area near the rear window.

Anyway I say PDC for £200 is a great investment. You'll be surprised and how useful it actually is. It is probably been designed with naff drivers in mind at first, and then tdesigners will have thought, hey we can now design cars that people don't have to be able to see the rear bumper off. Which opens up all sorts of design possibilities.

Another thing, PDC makes Good Drivers better. My mum can't park to save her life, and she still can't with PDC. Me on the other hand I think it makes my parking that bit better, as I just have to wait for the full tone and I'm 12" off something. Enough room to get in the boot (of a 3 series)

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I went on a test drive off a Compact the bloke in the car told me to reverse hard and only brake when I hear a constant beep. This was against a brick wall. You can miss it by a hairline and really scare your passangers! Hee hee!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Basil said:
Hmmmm.......

If the consensus goes against those that are humorous, then please say so. I've left MINI2.com before on these issues, and am quite happy to do so again.

don't go! - I actually look for posts last commented by basil - they are wayyy funnier than Smiffy - who seems to reply to every post just for the sake of seeing "Smiffy" on the internet... What is is with Aussies - they are just so funny? and while I'm on the subject of fellow posters...Eliseboy..do you spend this much time in the elise forums? have you considered calling yourself Miniboy?

who else can I poke? certainly not our moderators - truly I get much enjoyment from this site - thank you for all your efforts - I've learned a lot about minis and web forums in general, AND managed to do something with my time while waiting for my car.

I suppose i better send some money and soon!. Lots of words and not one about PDC!

have a nice day, don't take me seriously - I just like to stir the proverbial pot! You may now proceed to make fun of me.:confused: :eek: :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :p ;) :D :) :( :eek:

·
Registered
374 Posts
To get back on topic

Will the limited number of sensors (4?) reliably detect a post?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
pbeirne said:

- they are wayyy funnier than Smiffy - who seems to reply to every post just for the sake of seeing "Smiffy" on the internet...
If you want me to leave the site just say so

1 - 20 of 28 Posts