MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the Carly iPhone app and BMW OBD11 wifi adapter. I bought it mainly for diagnostics and fault reading/clearing.

The app also allows coding of various of the cars ECUs. So far I have coded the engine stop/start to remember the last setting (i.e. for me OFF) (did this on our BMW too) and have coded the front parking lights to operate as DRLs (i.e. on in the light 0 position) my car being DRL-less.

The app is well worth it and you can also easily reset service indicators and code new batteries if necessary.

My question is...now I have DRL of sorts I would like to replace the standard parking light bulbs for LEDs. Can anyone recommend a bulb they have successfully used (brighter the better) that is CANBUS friendly? Having said that I can now code out voltage monitoring of any of the bulbs to stop a warning light coming on...but I don't want to.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
406 Posts
Go for an established brand. I bought cheap ones off eBay and they lasted 3 months. I thought I was unlucky, so bought another set, they lasted 4 months. I ordered some from newministuff (not sure of the branding as they fitted them for me while I was there) and they have lasted 2.5 years and counting. Here is the link for a second gen car.

Bulbs - Sidelight LED 2nd gen

or try autobulbs direct etc

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently purchased the Carly iPhone app and BMW OBD11 wifi adapter. I bought it mainly for diagnostics and fault reading/clearing.

The app also allows coding of various of the cars ECUs. So far I have coded the engine stop/start to remember the last setting (i.e. for me OFF) (did this on our BMW too) and have coded the front parking lights to operate as DRLs (i.e. on in the light 0 position) my car being DRL-less.

The app is well worth it and you can also easily reset service indicators and code new batteries if necessary.

My question is...now I have DRL of sorts I would like to replace the standard parking light bulbs for LEDs. Can anyone recommend a bulb they have successfully used (brighter the better) that is CANBUS friendly? Having said that I can now code out voltage monitoring of any of the bulbs to stop a warning light coming on...but I don't want to.

Thanks in advance
Apols but I have just realised that I have not posted on this forum before. So by way of brief intro, I am on my 2nd mini, the first being an R50 italian job cooper. We now have an R55 clubman in nightfire red. It is a 2008 model but had only done 19k with its previous owner when we acquired it this summer. I love the retro rear doors and the 'suicide door'.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The pro version and added service reset and idrive coding (for our BMW) with in-app purchase. The lite version is free in the app store (enables you to check what you can do) but does not allow actual coding or fault clearing.
Hi,

Sorry I'm late to the party but I wondered what OBD connector you are using with Carly.

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

Sorry I'm late to the party but I wondered what OBD connector you are using with Carly.

Regards,

Paul
I bought the official Carly adapter - wi-fi version for iPhone, etc (androids use bluetooth) - not cheap but with 'lifetime warranty'.

The app directs you to amazon for purchase but when I bought mine it was out of stock so I ordered direct from Germany. Took a week or so but it was cheaper too. There was a code somewhere which gave £5 off too.

Some do use the cheaper generic adapters but these limit functionality of the app so I have read.

Have fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought the official Carly adapter - wi-fi version for iPhone, etc (androids use bluetooth) - not cheap but with 'lifetime warranty'.

The app directs you to amazon for purchase but when I bought mine it was out of stock so I ordered direct from Germany. Took a week or so but it was cheaper too. There was a code somewhere which gave £5 off too.

Some do use the cheaper generic adapters but these limit functionality of the app so I have read.

Have fun.
I already had a cheapo adapter and it didn't work at all with Carly (but it worked with other Android Apps).

I'll have to stump up the cash and get the official one.

Regards,

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks in advance
I run the leds from Halfords which are Canbus ready and cost £15. Tried multiple amazon and fleabay purchases but they all chucked errors. These have been fine for several months now

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I’ve got the app and OBD what settings did you go to..? I’ve tried to set my daughters Gen 2 fog lights as DRL’s but to no avail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, I’ve got the app and OBD what settings did you go to..? I’ve tried to set my daughters Gen 2 fog lights as DRL’s but to no avail.
You have to choose 'upper fog lights', (not sidelight/markers - these are the indicators - think US market).
I will have to go into the app and connect to remember exactly which programme they are in but it is in a section called lighting on the coding tile.
I think you also have to 'check' an option to switch on or activate DRL's.

If you have any trouble I will connect up and check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I know it's been a while since your post about coding sidelights as DRL's, but I tried it myself this morning without success. The Carly App has a setting 1 & 2 to activate DRL's and states to activate both. Then I went to the 'Use Upper Fog Light as DRL'. The coding said successfull, but there was no change. Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks, Darran.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts