MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We are considering buying our first Mini but need some information on deactivating the passenger airbag. I've read on here that you have tp pay the dealer about £250 to do it, then pay them AGAIN to reactivate it. Shocking.

I've also read that there is a retrofit kit available to fit a switch - does anyone have any further information on this, i.e. how much it costs, how much it would cost to fit, whether it can be fitted to all first generation Minis etc?

Help much appreciated - I can't bear the thought of parting with £500+ to get our airbag switched off, then back on when the time comes.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm not sure about the older cars, but on my 2006 MCS there is a switch to turn it off with the ignition key at the end of the dash on the passenger side where the door goes.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Must be an option as I don't have that. My USA model car does have pressure sensors that deactivate the airbag when the person sitting in the seat is not considered heavy enough.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
The Pass Airbag De-activation was not standard fit until some time in 2005.

My July 04 Cabrio did not have the keyswitch to deactivate, but 05 build cars did ;)

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
The Pass Airbag De-activation was not standard fit until some time in 2005.

My July 04 Cabrio did not have the keyswitch to deactivate, but 05 build cars did ;)
My 06 does not have it, so it must be a local thing. ;) The OP is in Aus right? I would be curious to know what they have there.

·
Whining....
1,901 Posts
I had to get the passenger bags deactivated on my 2004 S - The dealer has to actually change the seatbelt whcih is part of the cost and switching back isn't as expensive as you keep the original belt as well.

Having said that, its a bloody rip off all right! :angry:

I think the retro-fit kit shown above on RealOEM is only for the earliest Facelift cars from July (ish) 04.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts