MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

There's lots of threads on here about the airbag warning light illuminating on early Minis, but has anyone had problems with the later ones?

My wife's Clubman D (Mar. 08) has taken to showing "Passenger airbag OFF" in the roof display, even though it's on, and has never been switched off. It always has lit VERY briefly on start-up for the usual system self-check, but this is new - it's on for much longer. Dealer's had a look but says it's normal and there's nothing to worry about.

She's hardly ever moved the passenger seat, so I wouldn't have thought it was the connector underneath, as seems to be the case with the earlier models.

Anyone had anything similar?

Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have that problem .... but does the light go off eventually and if so after how long?
My wife's only just noticed it - still trying to work out if there's a pattern to it or not (passenger seat occupied or not - that sort of thing).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Air bag lwarning light

Hi Jeremy,

I noticed the warning light coming on when I start up, then go out, had the dealer check ours and they said it was normal. Hope this helps

Sue

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same "problem"...

...with my ´07 MCS Clubman too. Roof warning light flashes when I start her up, but goes out after a few seconds. Has stareted doing this just recently, never did before. Has anyone had any more feedback about this from dealerships?

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I believe it is meant to come on briefly when you start the engine. It is normal, but just for a few seconds

·
Registered
422 Posts
My light does the same few seconds check , it comes on at start up then goes off….I changed the setting to off just to see and yes it stays on. Put it back using the key to ona again.

Seems normal that it lights up then goes off at start up.
If it stays on I’d be at the dealers or try changing it off and then on again using the key in the keyfob.

·
Home Again
47 Posts
Air Bag Warning light

I'm on a long road trip around the US and I have had two problems with my new MCS. One is the intermittent appearance of the airbag warning light. It seems to be related to the passenger seatbelt but it never seems to come on in the morning, only after noon after repeated use.

I will bring it in to the dealrer after I get home but its setting up as one of those issues that never happens when the car is with the dealer. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

The other issue, for the record, was the check engine light which came on in Texas. I brought it to the nearest dealter, which was 400 mies away in Arizona. They told me they couldn't find a problem but thaat the computer code told them that three cylndars misfired. They replaced the spark plugs, did a couple of tests and sent me on my way. No problem since.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. By the way, the trip has been 9,000 miles so far and we have about 1,500 more to get home. The car has been great fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
airbag light

That overhead airbag light is supposed to blink on at start-up and once the usual car self-diagnostics are done, the light should stay off unless an infant or small child is in the passenger seat. There are several posts (check NAM as well) about the light erroneously staying on with adults in the passenger seat - according to the light, the adults are there without an airbag (should the rare case pop up that they need it). G

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
That overhead airbag light is supposed to blink on at start-up and once the usual car self-diagnostics are done, the light should stay off unless an infant or small child is in the passenger seat. There are several posts (check NAM as well) about the light erroneously staying on with adults in the passenger seat - according to the light, the adults are there without an airbag (should the rare case pop up that they need it). G
car carriers, book bags and purses sat on the seat also cause the light to appear, as the car thinks it has something sitting there. it's incredibly sensitive, too. my kitten, weighing only 2 pounds, caused the light to come on!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had the driver airbag replaced under warranty on a 06 r56 Cooper. Light on the dashboard came on and wouldn't go off.

·
Home Again
47 Posts
I took my MCS to the dealer find the cause of the red airbag light winking on and off on the dashboard and to fix it. The problem turned out to be with the seat position sensor in the driver's seat.

The interesting part (if it can be said to be interesting at all:)) is that the technician who worked on the car told me that this part is prone to failing in 2009 models. Mine was assembled in November '08. He said that even adjusting the seat position can cause the failure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts