1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay Paul :),

For a little while know your sig has been:

"Enough of the small torque... I want an 'S'! (I think)"

You think?! :eek: :confused: Fess up! Are you just being coy until you actually get you hands on a Cooper S and thrash it about (in less then 2 weeks now :)), or are you really uncertain you'll like it? :rolleyes:

Hmmmm....? :p

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Well....

It's money.

Base UK Cooper S = £14,500. (Not I was saying £14,700 from early spring/early summer last year, close but no cigar!)

Anyway...

I've specced a Cooper up...

Base 11,600.
Solid colour (red and white) No cost
DSC £300
Head airbags front and rear £200
Remote alarm £200
Heated jets and mirrors £40
First aid riangle and kit £35
ISOFIX £20
Headlamp power wash £100
Manual Air Con £600
On board CPU £100
CD Player £70
Boost £135
CD Prep Free!
Chili pack £1000
TLC £100

= £14,530.

£30 more than a Cooper S, and all those creature comforts and goodies.......

It'll take a lot to persuad me the Cooper S is worth it for my average usage!

And yes, the trip to Portugal will probably be the decider!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Need anyone to carry your bags??? ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D

Ant

·
Registered
124 Posts
The creature comforts are nice but in the end all I need is a little tred left on the tires when someone comes breathing up my exhaust pipe(s), ok maybe a good CD jamin on the H/K...:cool: :cool: :cool: Have fun deciding :p

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
The cost thing was the main reason I ordered a ONE. I could have all the little extra's i wanted for just over the basic price of a Cooper. You have to conside the cost of Insurance too. Maybe a Cooper S in a few years :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Maybe a Cooper S in a few years
That's my plan! :D

Damn insurance companies :mad: ... (No offence ;) )

Ant

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:
Well....

It's money.

Base UK Cooper S = £14,500. (Not I was saying £14,700 from early spring/early summer last year, close but no cigar!)

Anyway...

I've specced a Cooper up...

Base 11,600.
Solid colour (red and white) No cost
DSC £300
Head airbags front and rear £200
Remote alarm £200
Heated jets and mirrors £40
First aid riangle and kit £35
ISOFIX £20
Headlamp power wash £100
Manual Air Con £600
On board CPU £100
CD Player £70
Boost £135
CD Prep Free!
Chili pack £1000
TLC £100

= £14,530.

£30 more than a Cooper S, and all those creature comforts and goodies.......

It'll take a lot to persuad me the Cooper S is worth it for my average usage!

You said it.........But It's ONLY Money !!.

Once driven, forever smitten....

Odds on you end up buying an S over the "loaded" Cooper.

:)

PS. Have you included your BMW Discount ?. If ANYONE deserves a cheaper MINI, it's got to be the owner of this site.

·
MINI2 Lurker + Sponsor
1,208 Posts
Paul_Mullett said:

If anyone from MINI is reading this, take note...

It would be nice.

But unlikely me thinks.
I'd push for a FREE one Paul ;) I reckon you've done more than £14,000 worth of Market Research for them :D :D :D A discount is the LEAST you should expect, but I agree it is unlikely to happen, good luck :)

Plan B - just drive the 'S' home from Portugal... foot to the floor and don't look back :D ;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Paul, another concern might be operating costs, since petrol is not exactly cheap in the UK. Premium fuel is required and the S is going to get about 25% poorer mileage than the Cooper or One. "It's a performance car, not an economy car." If you drive it hard, the maintenance costs will be higher too. Not to mention the traffic coppers will come to know you on a first name basis. The S will probably cost more initially due to high demand and low supply. Given the MINI's track record thus far, you can expect the S to have some problems early on, so you might be wise to wait a bit anyway to give them time to sort out any problems with the supercharger. I realize they have done a lot of testing, but they tested the originals too. "Never buy the first model of anything."

·
Registered
632 Posts
Wanted . . unpaid S tester

Paul_Mullett said:
. . . It would be nice . . . But unlikely me thinks.
Methinks that you couldn`t be bought that easily Paul ? . . . but you could be given a car as an unpaid longterm S tester.

That would surely be almost ideal (for you & BMW) - any problems with the S are going to be aired here at MINI2 above anywhere else in the World anyway so who better to run and post regular S reports directly to the factory?

If not, there`s always me of course, here for the UK . . mr.bill for the US (he`d give BMW`s `ears` a good bashing, Basil in Oz . . . . . . . ?

Seriously Paul you should request/negotiate a longterm user test deal - I dare BMW to do it!

Just tell them that we asked you to ask ! ;)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm still not sure about the looks of the 'S'. I havent seen one in the flesh, but from pictures i've seen i'm not sure on the following:

1. Lack of Chrome.
2. Front Grill - especially the darker colours.
3. Rear exhaust - although i'm sure it's gonna sound sweet!
4. Petrol filler cap.

This is all of course, in my opinion. If it's the speed thing then wack a turbo on a Cooper, it'll p**s all over an 'S'!!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
naffness

AV51HCC said:
I'm still not sure about the looks of the 'S'. I havent seen one in the flesh, but from pictures i've seen i'm not sure on the following:

1. Lack of Chrome.
2. Front Grill - especially the darker colours.
3. Rear exhaust - although i'm sure it's gonna sound sweet!
4. Petrol filler cap.

This is all of course, in my opinion. If it's the speed thing then wack a turbo on a Cooper, it'll p**s all over an 'S'!!!
I only agree with you about 3. & 4. both naff in my most humble opinion.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've attached this pic of a Cooper, i nicked it off someone on Mini2 (sorry, don't remember who!) & made it black, lowered it about 30mm and put two single exhausts on the back (paintshop pro). It's got the 'S' spokes on too. IMO i rekon that looks better than the 'S'. What do u think?

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
AV

Very nice picture and photoshop mods!!!!! That is one I took at the **** Lovett dealership in Bristol. Originally the car was Indi Blue, and that car is on the road as a demonstrater.

The twin exhausts look very nice! I agree that the S may be missing some of the nice chrome compared with the Cooper.

Cheers

Garry

·
Registered
218 Posts
agreed...

I'd have to agree...

I honestly wouldn't be half as 'fired-up' about ordering my new S if it wasn't for this website, and this community.

A heavy discount for Mr Mullet would be well deserved, BMW.

And thanks Paul.

sixfoot6

1 - 17 of 17 Posts