MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have noticed when alot of people get minis, they are customed designed and what not. my question is, if i go to a dealer and show him the one i designed online and tell him that "this is the one i want". is it stil possible to negotiate the price a couple grand off like with most new cars? my friend says that he thinks i will have to pay msrp b/c its not at the dealership and it must be shipped, thus they dont have to "push it off their lot" or something like that. if i go to a dealer and try to negotiate, should i expect them to lower a couple of grand off or should i go in prepared to pay the MSRP price? or do you guys think he'll just give me some of the upgrade options for free? for what its worth, i want the JCW Mini with Premium package adn aerokit, those are the largest upgrades. thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
you wont get a couple thousand off, but maybe a few hundred seems to be order of the day. as you say possibly throw in one or two of the upgrade options, or TLC? better than nothing.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
... should i expect them to lower a couple of grand off or should i go in prepared to pay the MSRP price? or do you guys think he'll just give me some of the upgrade options for free? for what its worth, i want the JCW Mini with Premium package adn aerokit, those are the largest upgrades. thanks.
You should be prepared to pay MSRP. Some dealers throw in floor mats for free. The JCW Aero Kit is NOT factory installed. Dealer labor rates are very high. You might want to ask if the JCW Aero Kit can be installed at the VPC ... it may be cheaper that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, i guess MSRP it is. as for hte AERO kit, i was just gonna order it and have it painted and installed by my buds. thanks for all you input!

lolz....free floormats....yay!

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
It is a BMW policy not to haggle which is why you won't get much off. Some dealers will move a few hundred to cut some of the paperwork costs but that is about it. BMW has always been a you pay what you see company......

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
It is a BMW policy not to haggle which is why you won't get much off. Some dealers will move a few hundred to cut some of the paperwork costs but that is about it. BMW has always been a you pay what you see company......
Maybe on MINIs, but whenever we have bought a BMW, we have negotiated with them and got at least £1000 off. On MINIs, things are different and as has been said, the best you can hope for is mats or equivalent.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Maybe on MINIs, but whenever we have bought a BMW, we have negotiated with them and got at least £1000 off. On MINIs, things are different and as has been said, the best you can hope for is mats or equivalent.
Nope, it is a BMW policy. If you have gotten a deal it has probably been the typical paperwork charges and such that some dealers will work with you on. These are the little tid bits that the dealer tags on to the car, not the manufacturer. That being said, there are "things" that a dealer can do to move money around. Where you think you are getting it off of MSRP it may be coming from a different fee. To be honest, who cares as long as you get something off right?

BMW has been doing the no haggle bit for years as do many other high end auto makers which is why they toss small things like floor mats in.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Nope, it is a BMW policy. If you have gotten a deal it has probably been the typical paperwork charges and such that some dealers will work with you on. These are the little tid bits that the dealer tags on to the car, not the manufacturer. That being said, there are "things" that a dealer can do to move money around. Where you think you are getting it off of MSRP it may be coming from a different fee. To be honest, who cares as long as you get something off right?

BMW has been doing the no haggle bit for years as do many other high end auto makers which is why they toss small things like floor mats in.
I certainly don't care how they do it, as long as we get some money off! We got some stuff that was dealer fit, and others which was done at the factory - nappa leather etc

·
Registered
37 Posts
there are some internet brokers that offer around £300-£400 off - i've already had the local dealer offer to match that when i was making enquiries about pricing, after referring him to the websites concerned as proof.

maybe there used to be zero discounts, and maybe people that paid full still want to peddle that, but this pretty much proves that with the right dealers, the discounts are available with a little work. so persist, and save yourself a few hundred - only a fool would prefer to pay full! :)

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Even then, the guy is in America and will likely not find anything off on a MINI or BMW.... ;)

Floor mats for you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nonsense, everything is negotiable! :D

BMW may have a "policy", but they will discount cars.
absolutely, the more people believe there are no discounts available - the easier it is for them. now more than ever they will discount, even on a mini. should i decide to go for a cooper s (still making my mind up) im completely confident i could get AT LEAST £500 off the package price, probably more. maybe not 5 years ago, but now, definitely. with the internet, current car sales, economy etc it would be relatively easy.

probably have to walk away from the showroom after the first sit-down and them saying they cant do anything (which is where most buyers fail) but hey, big deal. they'd be on the phone/email within hours. and since i know i can already get the aforementioned discounts online anyway there's certainly nothing to lose.

so to sum up, yea, go for your discount - dont believe for a second there is nothing available (tho bmw would be more than happy for you to!)

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
When I bought the Subaru, I got 2500 USD knocked off the price negotiating. However, I was also looking at a BMW 3 series and they wouldn't budge due to the no haggle policy. Forward to Germany about 3 years later and the same policy applied here when looking at a 3 series again. My "discount" for the MINI came from military sales and they were also firm in their price but threw in some floor mats. It is worth trying, but just don't expect too much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so i did just a bit of research just now and i am starting to think that there really aren't any discoutn for mini's. bmw maybe different, but if you search the new mini's price on kbb.com there is no invoice price just the msrp. but if you search a bmw there are both invoice adn msrp.

guess ill get ready to pay msrp then. but i better get my damn floormats and they better match my seats! ill show them who's boss!
:angry:

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
so i did just a bit of research just now and i am starting to think that there really aren't any discoutn for mini's. bmw maybe different, but if you search the new mini's price on kbb.com there is no invoice price just the msrp. but if you search a bmw there are both invoice adn msrp.

guess ill get ready to pay msrp then. but i better get my damn floormats and they better match my seats! ill show them who's boss!
:angry:
Think of it this way... You will be paying the same price as all of us. ;)

They just don't budge all that much. You still might be able to get a few small things for free or even the paperwork fees waved. Worth a try...;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
My wife works in Luxemburg for the EU and as such is entitled to a discount on most makes of car (these are discounts offered by manufacturer not EU) currently BMW is the best discount manufacterer giving you 15% off a BMW but Mini giving 10%. We are looking at getting a new mini and went to a dealer in Germany because thats where we live and were told that these discounts apply only if you live in Luxemburg, however after some research and pushing the salesman a bit he called head office in Munich and they told him that the discounts are available all over europe as long as the person buying can prove their job is with EU etc which we did with a photocopy of my wifes work ID card.
I realise not everyone is as lucky as us to be in this position but it just goes to show that they knocked 10% off the price in less than a few hours just because we pushed a little, to be honest the salesman was amazed and was happy as he can now offer this to other EU buyers.

If the dealers can do this for EU workers why not everyone. Give it a try. ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I got money off the dealer fit things... JCW Aero Kit, Ipod kit and got TLC chucked in for free.. maybe if you are getting some of them then some roof for negotiation.

...And just remember no discount helps keep the residuals of the car higher.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't know what it's like in US, but similar financial climate I would imagine.

My mum works at a BMW/MINI dealership and they have just made the manager of MINI redundant due to lack of sales. Mum says she has never seen so many MINIs there before they don't have room for them, not shifting.

I have had my 52 plate Cooper s for 2 months now and at the time was also looking at a 54 plate Beetle, the dealer keeps calling me and has even suggested a straight swap, just to change his stock.

Car dealers are getting desperate and I would always go in with a really cheeky offer, they can only say no.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts