MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
1,302 Posts
N14 PCV is integrated into the valve cover and cannot be replaced, need to replace the valve cover itself.

N18 PCV look like the one pictured and can be replaced without replacing valve cover.

· Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was not trying to replace the PCV valve, I was trying to do the Seafoam treatment.

Is there some other place to put the Seafoam into the intake. If I remove the air filter, is it possible to pour a little Seafoam via that mechanism while avoiding hydrolock? I can just let it sit in there over night so it vaporizes. I've just never removed the air filter so I'm not sure what access there.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
I didn't know what you were trying to do.

Have a look here should clear things up

"This kit is specially designed for the N18 motors that cannot use the vacuum port on the valve cover like the N14 motors. The N14 motors should use the pour in Sea Foam. For the N18 motors, loosen the boost tube hose clamp on the passenger side, and using a screwdriver, get under the hose carefully and free it up. Once its free, use the screwdriver again to give you some room to insert the spray adapter. Get the red tube as far in as you can, but makes sure the plastic loop is under the clamp. Reattach the clamp to prevent a boost leak. This is now where you need two people. At an increased idle, 1000-1500 rpm's, spray the whole can into the intake path. Once the can is empty, turn the car off and let it soak for about 5 minutes while you remove the adapter and make sure your boost clamp is tight and back to factory look. Restart the car and run it at an increased idle till all the white smoke has cleared. We recommend doing this outside."

Also some videos on YouTube

If the intake valves are badly coked, this won't help much and needs proper full walnut shell blasting or other blasting substance.

Sea Foam is better used as a maintenance before coking up happens.

· Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't know what you were trying to do.

If the intake valves are badly coked, this won't help much and needs proper full walnut shell blasting or other blasting substance.

Sea Foam is better used as a maintenance before coking up happens.
I'm just doing preventive maintenance.
That video looks good but I still can't see where the PCV valve is from his video. It is too dark.

Reactions: knt

· Registered
13,582 Posts
loosen the rubber pipe as close to throttle body as can and push that long red straw in side and run engine at 2000 revs and spray away will see white smoke form exhaust for a little while, i do them from hot and from cold ie run cold spray into at 2k then get someone to switch engine off mid spray as such leave it over night then start it straight to 2k again prevents any carbon fouling a plug, can also remove spark plugs and spray a little in leave over night same thing cleans out carbon,, can aslo drop inlet manifold off a bit spray in use a wrag and screw driver it will remove the hard build up a lot cheaper than £100 for wall nut blast,

Reactions: knt

· Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, so that is why people are using the stray. They are putting the straw in far enough to get past the sensor and then using the vacuum suction to draw the liquid in.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Yes, Sea Foam spray with the straw. With N14 people can just use the pour can and slowly pour into back PCV hose. With N18 using the spray with straw would be easier, just make sure the straw doesn't come loose and get sucked in by mistake.

· Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, Sea Foam spray with the straw. With N14 people can just use the pour can and slowly pour into back PCV hose. With N18 using the spray with straw would be easier, just make sure the straw doesn't come loose and get sucked in by mistake.
So it won't hurt the turbo going directly onto it as a liquid?

...I am guessing that oil gets deposited on the turbo fan as well when cold.

· Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes looks like the boost tube going from airbox to turbo. If there is a sensor there you'll need to spray after the sensor part.
I tried this and it didn't work. I tried to disconnect the hose from the crankcase breather and stick the straw in there but there was no vacuum to suck the liquid into the turbo. None, zilch.

· Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I could pour it into here on the air intake hose right before the turbo..?

That video the guy says he is removes the pcv value. However, on the N18 engine like he and I have, the PCV is a membrane type built into the oil cover. There looks to be a fake pcv that is blocked off on the other side of the air intake which looks like just a sensor on it now to feed information back to the computer to make it "think" it has a pcv valve from what I can tell.

You can see that in the picture below circled in red.

LIsted as part #20 here as a "blind plug"

· Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Ok, I check this video for what the different air intake parts and hoses are.

The dummy plug is the air intake temperature sensor. The line he is disconnecting in the previous video is the "booster hose" as you can see at 5:55. The large line is in fact the "pcv hose without a pcv valve". That is the hose I put my red funnel on. In the previous video, he is putting the seafoam into the "booster hose"? I don't think that's right...?

If I add seafoam into the red funnel, it will go through the turbo, then the inter cooler and into the intake.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.