MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have searched and searched for help with this but I can't find anyone who gives instructions on replacing the PCV on an R55. There's plenty of info on the R56, but the turbo engine has a totally different PCV cover. So I am trying to remove the PCV cover on my 2007 R55 cooper but I'm not sure if you can just pry it off, or if that risks snapping it. Has anyone done this on a non-turbo engine and can they advise?

Thank you

Paul

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If it's on the N14 platform (which i think it is with a quick google search) then you would have to replace the valve cover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. Do you mean the entire valve/rocker cover? I don't understand that though, because you can buy a replacement pcv and cover for it for less than £20. And it looks like you can get the original pcv cover off, I just don't want to try it without some guidance because I might damage something..

·
cristo
2,859 Posts
Could just block the PCV hose
and put an oil catch can on the other side.
BSH makes good products
for both of these purposes.
Less oily crap to coat the intake valves
with carbon that way.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Having looked on here

I'm guessing yours is the pre LCI cooper petrol so N12 and not N14. Therefore your PCV diaphragm (N12 & N16) should be replaceable without replacing the whole valve cover.

Check on YouTube.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah OK thanks knt. I have looked on YouTube but I can only find instructions for the model I don't have! I will have to have a fiddle with the cover but I'm just scared of breaking something without guidance. But thank you for your help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could just block the PCV hose
and put an oil catch can on the other side.
BSH makes good products
for both of these purposes.
Less oily crap to coat the intake valves
with carbon that way.
Thanks Cristo. I keep reading about pcv delete but I don't understand how it works! I'm not much of a mechanic so I don't get why blocking the crankcase breather doesn't cause over pressurisation and something to bust?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

Also PCV delete is not a good idea.

·
cristo
2,859 Posts
Then why did they plug it on the
Citroen C4 and Peugeot 207 and 308 with the same (N14) engine
and remove it from the design on the N18 MINI engine?
Excess crankcase pressure does vent
out the other side of the valve cover
to the turbo (which is why an OCC is
good there, especially if you plug the
PCV valve hose).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Also PCV delete is not a good idea.
Thanks for that, I've seen that video and it's for a different engine to mine. I'm pretty sure I just need to get a screwdriver under the pcv cover and prise it off. If it breaks then I guess it's not a major problem because I have (or will have) the replacement valve and cover.

It's funny, there is so much conflicting advice on pcv deletes. But not much i can find from anyone who's actually done it and run with it for any length of time.

·
cristo
2,859 Posts
Good point. That changes things
quite a bit. No GDI and no hose to
the turbo and no real need for catch
can with NA N12. Keep the PCV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK thanks. By the way, have you ever seen those 'performance' breather valves? They look like mini cone shaped air filters. How on earth do those work, where do they go, and are they any good? I only ask because they are cheap!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Then why did they plug it on the
Citroen C4 and Peugeot 207 and 308 with the same (N14) engine
and remove it from the design on the N18 MINI engine?
Excess crankcase pressure does vent
out the other side of the valve cover
to the turbo (which is why an OCC is
good there, especially if you plug the
PCV valve hose).
If it was designed that way best to leave it that way. I do agree with the catch can(s).

The N18 PCV was designed that way so I haven't got a problems with that, not too sure about Citroen and Peugeot.

I have read many posting about people just deleting the PCV and don't fully understand the workings, but many experts don't recommend deleting the PCV and I'm no expert.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

I have searched and searched for help with this but I can't find anyone who gives instructions on replacing the PCV on an R55. There's plenty of info on the R56, but the turbo engine has a totally different PCV cover. So I am trying to remove the PCV cover on my 2007 R55 cooper but I'm not sure if you can just pry it off, or if that risks snapping it. Has anyone done this on a non-turbo engine and can they advise?

Thank you

Paul
Paul: I have an 11 mini clubman base with normal aspiration. I think I have aPCV problem so I purchased a cap, membrane and spring from Turner Motorsports for $31. Next is to cut off some of the existing cap to be able to release the clips holding the cap on. Even after I make these cuts I may still be able to use the original cap. That way it will be easier to replace the membrane in the future. I’ve seen the Assy. As low as $13 from China. I think I have it figured out to make it work. Of course I’m trying to avoid having a shop replace the whole valve cover for $400 plus. There is a YT video, search Wright discussing this but he doesn’t go into detail about removing the cap so I have emailed him. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you

Paul
Paul: I have an 11 mini clubman base with normal aspiration. I think I have aPCV problem so I purchased a cap, membrane and spring from Turner Motorsports for $31. Next is to cut off some of the existing cap to be able to release the clips holding the cap on. Even after I make these cuts I may still be able to use the original cap. That way it will be easier to replace the membrane in the future. I’ve seen the Assy. As low as $13 from China. I think I have it figured out to make it work. Of course I’m trying to avoid having a shop replace the whole valve cover for $400 plus. There is a YT video, search Wright discussing this but he doesn’t go into detail about removing the cap so I have emailed him. Good luck[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey John, so there's a little cover on top of the valve cover. I removed that, think it was 10mm or so torx screws. Then I was able to prize off the pcv cover. But..i did break the clips on the cover so had to use the new pcv cover rather than just replace the rubber valve. I can't see how you would get the cover off without snapping the clips to be honest, but then again I'm rubbish at that sort of thing! My valve was gunky. Not torn or anything but def a bit clogged up. Anyway it does SEEM to have solved my problem. Maybe. We'll see. Next I have to look at the leaky camshaft..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts