MINI Cooper Forum banner

peoplewatching people watching my cabrio!

993 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  too cool blue! 
#1 ·
Today we stopped by Moe's for a burrito (yum) and I parked my MSCS (topdown) directly in front of the door. Once we got our food, we took a seat directly on the other side of the door, just cuz I love to look at my car. :D (On a side note, now that I am a proud daddy, I now have something to talk about when all the parents at work start babbling about their kids!) Apparently I am not the only one who likes my car. I was amazed how many people stopped to gawk at it! We started counting the number of people who craned their heads or peeked inside, but soon found it was easier to count those who didn't! In the 45 minutes we were there, only 8 people in DIDN'T sneak a peek! :cool: The most amazing part was to see all the different types and ages of people who were attracted to it. Yuppies, ********, ruffians, retirees, rugrats... it really didn't seem to matter! My favorite was one dad who was walking with two toddlers, about 2 and 4. The father walked around the car to take it in. His boy wanted a closer look, so the dad picked up the boy to look inside. The boy was pointing at the dash and said something, then they both nodded and smiled. Made me get a big grin too.

Every day that I have been out in it since I got it about three weeks ago I have had someone comment on it, but I guess most are just too shy to speak up. Oh man how fun it was to just watch those watching my baby! If you like that kind of thing and haven't done it yet, give it a try! Let me know how the folks in your town react! (I wished I had set up a webcam or something! That could be fun!)

Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
2phun said:
Today we stopped by Moe's for a burrito (yum) and I parked my MSCS (topdown) directly in front of the door. Once we got our food, we took a seat directly on the other side of the door, just cuz I love to look at my car. :D (On a side note, now that I am a proud daddy, I now have something to talk about when all the parents at work start babbling about their kids!) Apparently I am not the only one who likes my car. I was amazed how many people stopped to gawk at it! We started counting the number of people who craned their heads or peeked inside, but soon found it was easier to count those who didn't! In the 45 minutes we were there, only 8 people in DIDN'T sneak a peek! :cool: The most amazing part was to see all the different types and ages of people who were attracted to it. Yuppies, ********, ruffians, retirees, rugrats... it really didn't seem to matter! My favorite was one dad who was walking with two toddlers, about 2 and 4. The father walked around the car to take it in. His boy wanted a closer look, so the dad picked up the boy to look inside. The boy was pointing at the dash and said something, then they both nodded and smiled. Made me get a big grin too.

Every day that I have been out in it since I got it about three weeks ago I have had someone comment on it, but I guess most are just too shy to speak up. Oh man how fun it was to just watch those watching my baby! If you like that kind of thing and haven't done it yet, give it a try! Let me know how the folks in your town react! (I wished I had set up a webcam or something! That could be fun!)

Steve
I can't wait until my turn to be in your shoes. My husband has a bright yellow Corvette Convertible and gets plenty of looks...hope to surpass his Corvette's attention factor. Already, our 20 year old son said he'd rather have my Mini than dad's Vette. HA!

#3 ·
Watching peopl watch the Mini is definitely great sport! I just picked up my daughter and her friend (13 y.o.) and we were driving w/ the top down in 46 deg F weather. My daughter's friend had never been exposed to the Mini stares you get on the road. She kept exclaiming "wow, all these people keep looking at us!" We told her that happens in almost any Mini, but the convertible being so new means it is something most people have never seen. The top down in this weather also makes most people do a double-take.

It is so much fun to have introduced the Mini experience to a "newbie".

#4 ·
indimini said:
I just picked up my daughter and her friend (13 y.o.) and we were driving w/ the top down in 46 deg F weather. My daughter's friend had never been exposed to the Mini stares you get on the road. She kept exclaiming "wow, all these people keep looking at us!" .
Try it in 32F weather. My daughter (23 y.o.) was flabbergasted. She doesn't know how I make it anyplace with all the people drifting lanes and pushing noses up to the windows.

#5 ·
DUCTTAPE said:
Try it in 32F weather
Sadly, I may get to do that sooner than I had hoped. The winter weather looks like it's finally working its way to the Mid-Atlantic region :(

I must say I am really impressed with how comfortable the car is with the top down even in cooler temperatures. A mid-weight jacket, seat heaters and the HVAC at 84F and it is very comfortable cruising around town. Hardly any wind enters the cabin below 45 MPH. Kudos to the Mini engineers who built such a wonderful car - it really seems to be the best of all worlds w/ very little compromise.

#6 ·
Steve,

You're not alone in being watched. My wife and I bought a BRG MCC in August ("her" car but she let's me drive it on weekends) and get CONSTANT looks and comments.

We've had people sneak peeks out of the corner of their eye at the stop light, while others will roll down the window and start asking questions. We've also turned the heads of about two dozen outdoor diners on the Sunset Strip in LA- one person at a table points out the car, his party all turn to look and soon everyone sitting outside is looking to see what everyone else is looking at...

Another one of my favorites is when we parked on Balboa Island, and saw a couple arranging a snapshot with the MINI in the background, trying act nonchalant all the while. We've been in a number of such photos.

I think my wife's "favorite" is getting waved aside by the airport police at LAX and starting to have a panic attack when the officer walks up and apologizes that he "sees a lot of different cars here, but I've never seen a Cooper convertible".

I could go on and on... we could write a book recounting all our MCC-driven encounters.

#7 ·
HandN said:
I think my wife's "favorite" is getting waved aside by the airport police at LAX and starting to have a panic attack when the officer walks up and apologizes that he "sees a lot of different cars here, but I've never seen a Cooper convertible".
I was coming back across the border from the first Hudson Bay trip and the customs office empties of inspectors. I though, screwed again. They just wanted to see a Cooper S, having never seen one!

#8 ·
The MINI advertising people need to create a Karma Repair Kit for those of us who cause someone else to get a ticket because they're looking at our cars.

Happened to me in a different car I owned...poor guy was so excited..but then he blew off a Right Lane Must Turn....and didn't see the cop behind him :(

I worried about my automotive Karma for a while after that......

Benny has so far just caused one fellow who was turning in front of us to make a bad move and almost cause an accident with another car. So far so good.

Peter...in Denver

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.