MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday we took a couple of BMW MINI's into the Peak District to give them a good blasting. Mine was a Cooper with a Pepper pack and 16" wheels, my mates was a Cooper with a Chilli Pack.

It was noticeable that my Cooper was faster than my mates, when we were accelerating flat out he was lagging behind. Both our cars have done 5k miles, we each had a passenger although my passenger was twice as heavy as his!!!!

I was just wondering what other people had noticed when they had been racing. From what we have found you are definately better off with the Pepper pack if you want that extra half second when accelerating.

It doesn't really bother me either way which is faster(if any is) but I know there are folks about that are obsessed with every 10th of a second!

:D :cool: :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
This doesn't really make any sense. The main difference between a Chili Cooper and the Pepper Cooper is the wheels and you say you have the same 16" wheels as the Chili.

All I can put it down to is production variations or possibly driver technique (revs at which you change up and speed of gear-change).

·
Registered
573 Posts
OI!!!

I am not twice as heavy as Si's passenger was!
My ass is not as nice to look at as hers was either for that matter

Roger, as I was your passenger, you were flooring it, and have been in with Si (the other driver) before, Si would have been flat out too, so the Pepper pack car was definately faster throughout the drive than the chilli IMHO.

Both had the 5 star 16" wheels

Andy

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
LMB said:
It could be to do with how cafeful the engine was run in.
I have to agree with LMB on this one. Anyway one of you could have been driving slower :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
I suspect whoever was in front hit the gas 0.5 seconds before the guy behind.

Therefore the guy behind cant catch u if you are both flat out in identical cars.

You would need to drive each others cars one at a time in identical circumstances to establish any differences in car.

Dave

PS - why is Muchael Schumacher faster than Rubens Barrichello ? - same car !

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I think it was the tyres.

On the old Coopers, the sportspack one (13" wheels with wider tyres) was about half a second slower than the standard Cooper (12" wheels with standard width tyres)

There were no other differences the engine was exactly the same

·
Registered
353 Posts
If the windows were down this increases drag - don't know by how much though.

It could be to do with how cafeful the engine was run in.
What would be the best way - I'm currently staying below 4000rpm and generally being gentle as much as possible (can't always manage it to be honest).:p :p :p

·
Astronaut
572 Posts
baldie said:
I suspect whoever was in front hit the gas 0.5 seconds before the guy behind.

Therefore the guy behind cant catch u if you are both flat out in identical cars.

You would need to drive each others cars one at a time in identical circumstances to establish any differences in car.

Dave

PS - why is Muchael Schumacher faster than Rubens Barrichello ? - same car !
Also consider the "clean air" the car in front took advantage of... The second car would have to go through the air "disturbed" by the first car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK so to recap....
The theories posted about the vehicle travelling in 2nd posistion are very good points I should imagine. To an extent I agree as when I was in 2nd posistion the difference didn't seem as great. However I still gained very slighlty on my mate.

Maybe it is because I didn't care much about running in, just did a few hundred miles steady away then opened up the taps. Another point could be that I don't have an airconditioner whereas Simon has a Climate Controller. He had it turned off, whilst I'm no anorak, I'm sure the unit has got to weigh a fair bit. Or could it be that the Chilli spoiler causes drag?

Or indeed as mentioned it could be the vagaries of production, although our Cars are both November models I think.

Anyways whatever it was or indeed is, I'm looking forward to more clutching of straws by Chilli owners. As said above, I ain't fussed.

:D :p :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Anyways whatever it was or indeed is, I'm looking forward to more clutching of straws by Chilli owners. As said above, I ain't fussed.
As it happens, I have a Pepper pack Cooper! The only reason I can see for the Pepper pack being quicker than a Chili pack is the smaller wheels, but yours has the same 16" wheels as the Chili.

Road test results of nominally the same cars often vary.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ok then - here's another straw, how much fuel was there in the Chilli car? Extra weight :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
ask your mate which pedal he's been pushing. I find if you want to go faster stop pushing the pedal in the middle and try the smaller one on the right it works for me:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts