MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen any pics of the new 'Pepper White' paint job yet?

I'm looking for pics of white Coopers with Black roofs - and I'll admit now that I have searched the photo's section, so I'll consider myself told off if there are some there!..;)

The main reason I ask is that a colleague'n neighbour has just ordered what he described as a 'cream' Cooper, so I was wondering if this was the Pepper white?..

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I've seen some pics in this forum for pepper white, I'd search back through and see f you can find them. As for it being Cram, thats about right, allthough I call it more of an OFF white.

Can't say I like it tho. Black and White is good but the wnot this way round

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers guys - I found Brucies pics after a quick search too..

It makes the windows look pretty dramatic, but I think you loose the effect of the 'floating' roof..:(

I don't think I could live with something that was 'off-white' anyway, I'm not really a Magnolia kind of person!;)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
cmt said:
The only Pic I have seen of this combo is in BruceK's Gallery at.
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/BruceK/pepptint.jpg
I think it looks good with the tinted windows.
Thanks, but remember that's a photoshopped tint job - not the real thing. :) Here's a link to another Pepper White MINI Cooper:

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/BruceK/pepper2..jpg

Pepper White looks very much like the Old English White of my first classic Mini, so it's a sentimental color for me.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
White should show the dirt a treat :D :D :D :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Dogger said:
cheers guys - I found Brucies pics....
A-hemmm! :mad: who!? :)
Dogger said:
It makes the windows look pretty dramatic, but I think you loose the effect of the 'floating' roof..:(
I disagree, it's totally the opposite. Without tinted windows the A,B and C pillars are hidden behind the blacked out sections of the glass, but we all 'know' the pillars are there because of of the placement of the darkened sections. But when all of the glass is tinted and it is dark everywhere you don't 'know' where the pillars are -- only then does the roof look like it is floating on a glass structure only.

Attachments

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True Brucie..sorry Bruce (ahem)...what I meant was that the darkened windows seem to merge in with the dark roof (IMO)..The white pics I've seen so far remind me at first of a cabriolet and then I notice the roof.

Personally, this just rubs me up the wrong way - I always loved the Original Mini for it's curvey shape, and to me the roof finished the whole thing off quite nnicely - when I can't imediately see a MINI roof I feel sort of cheated out of the whole 'Mini experience'..:confused:...

Maybe I shouldn't have written this having come back from the pub....;)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Dogger said:
True Brucie..sorry Bruce (ahem)...what I meant was that the darkened windows seem to merge in with the dark roof (IMO)..The white pics I've seen so far remind me at first of a cabriolet and then I notice the roof.

Personally, this just rubs me up the wrong way - I always loved the Original Mini for it's curvey shape, and to me the roof finished the whole thing off quite nnicely - when I can't imediately see a MINI roof I feel sort of cheated out of the whole 'Mini experience'..:confused:...

Maybe I shouldn't have written this having come back from the pub....;)
Now I've got - a white roof floats, but a black room is just sort of 'there', right? :)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
BruceK said:
A-hemmm! :mad: who!? :)

I disagree, it's totally the opposite. Without tinted windows the A,B and C pillars are hidden behind the blacked out sections of the glass, but we all 'know' the pillars are there because of of the placement of the darkened sections. But when all of the glass is tinted and it is dark everywhere you don't 'know' where the pillars are -- only then does the roof look like it is floating on a glass structure only.
Now i think a SILVER ONE with a silver roof & blacked out windows would look coooooool :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
448 Posts
BruceK said:

Now I've got - a white roof floats, but a black room is just sort of 'there', right? :)
I'm sure that there's a subtle reason for this - probably something to do with the way the eye/brain interprets black as an absence. The white roof stands out - therefore it floats; the brain tries to ignore the black windows/pillars. With a black roof, the brain can't ignore the whole shape, but neither does it emphasize the roof over the windows/pillars.

Be very, very suspicious of magicians using or carrying anything black for the same reasons, BTW. As the brain likes to ignore black stuff, this is often used to the conjuror's advantage ...

So the MINI is magic in more ways than you realised. :D

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
They have to have them to comply with American law. If you look at new car that is sold in America they all have something simlar. It's really annoying when you see it on the likes of Ferrari's as it mess's up the look me thinks! Funny laws eh! And we in England thought we had some daft ones!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
but why does America state this?
are the normal reflectors not good enough or was there a crash that happened years ago that was attributed to not having these?

Just seems a bit pointless to me, like you said if we havnt got them and we think that our rules are tough!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
ELISEBOY said:
but why does America state this?
are the normal reflectors not good enough or was there a crash that happened years ago that was attributed to not having these?
They are simply the sidemarker lights as fitted to every car sold in North America (since 1968) due to safety regulations. They are both lights and reflectors, amber in front, red in the rear. They are switched on as part of the running lights of the car and they help illuminate the position of a car at night when viewed from the side (such as when a car is pulling out from a darkened side street or driveway. Yes, way back when there must have been some accident study that showed the need for them.

Since they have been on cars here for 35 years, drivers in the US unconsciously learn to look for those sidelights as clues to enable seeing an 'active' car from the side at night (I really noticed this when driving at night in the UK – since UK cars don’t have sidemarker lights I found it harder to spot when a car was pulling out from a side street onto the main road in the dark - even if the car's headlights and taillights are on you can't always see the car from the side at night like we are used to in the US).
ELISEBOY said:
Just seems a bit pointless to me, like you said if we havnt got them and we think that our rules are tough!
I think some of the UK rules are very good (e.g. comprehensive MOT testing) but it's amazing to think the UK was about 30 years behind the US in mandating laminated windscreens over windscreens made of toughened saftey glass (the kind like used in side windows that craze in to opaque glass and then break into thousands of little pieces). Toughened safety glass windscreens were common on new UK cars until about the early 1980's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts