MINI Cooper Forum banner

Pepper White residuals

2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  dakini 
#1 ·
Looking to upgrade my MC to a MCS next March but can't decide between HB/B or PW/B. Only concern with the PW/B is the effect on the residual value of the car after 2/3 years when I come to sell.

Has anyone recently traded in their PW MCS and been offered a derisory price or been met with the salesman saying it's a bad choice and they would offered a bit more if the car was in a more popular colour?

I've seen a few threads discussing this but no one's actually come up with any definitive trade-in prices they're getting now for, say, a 2 year old example. Anyone had experience of part-exing???

BTW, looking to spend £17,500-18k in total including Chili pack, DSC, MFSW, stripes and a few other niceties.

Cheers.

#4 ·
I faced exactly the same dilema myself and in the end, I chickened out and went for HB/W.

You could argue until you're blue in the face about how good PW/B looks on the Mini (and you wouldn't hear me disagree) but the bottom line is that the motor trade hammers white cars savagely.

This is a fact, and I have personal experience to back it up. Once bitten, twice shy as they say.

At the end of the day it all depends on how much you love the colour versus are you prepared to accept, say for example, £500-£1000 less when you come to trade in or have the car lingering around in the Autotrader for months trying to sell it.

#5 ·
I'm trying to decide now between CR/W, PW/B or full PW

I asked my dealer about the resale difference and was told the white would be lower (specific prices not mentioned), but when they do have a PW for sale, they have no trouble selling them on as they look so good.

I don't think you'd struggle selling private, but trading it in you (and possibly me :p ) would suffer most.

#6 ·
I agree with Neil. White cars in the UK lose lots of money. I had a white car before I got my first MINI. Looked stunning, but hardly got anything for it when I sold it.

I too was thinking of a PW/B S but in the end have bottled it and gone for red/white for my new S. I did ask the dealer if residuals were lower for PW MINIs but he gave a very non-commital answer. They do look stunning though.

#7 ·
Re Pepper White residuals

I was in the same boat. I really like the PW/B combo, but was never a white car fan in the past.. Ended up going with my origional instinct and ordered HB/B ... but sill love that PW/B combo.. hardest part is choosing the color ... and waiting (tick-tock)

05 MCS HyperBlue/Black (on order)

#8 ·
tnoy66 said:
I'm trying to decide now between CR/W, PW/B or full PW

I asked my dealer about the resale difference and was told the white would be lower (specific prices not mentioned), but when they do have a PW for sale, they have no trouble selling them on as they look so good.

I don't think you'd struggle selling private, but trading it in you (and possibly me :p ) would suffer most.
Was that at Almondbury?

#10 ·
As Pepper White isn't a true white (it's slightly off-colour), I'm not so sure that it would suffer as other White cars do. Personally, I think the PW/B with Cordoba interior looks fantastic! I'd buy what YOU like - so what if you lose a couple of extra dollars - you'll be the one living with it for a while. :)

#11 ·
Mmm...still undecided...agree that it's an "off-white" and that I can see that a dealer wouldn't have a problem selling it once it's on the forecourt and they see it "in the metal". But bargaining with a main stealer (MINI/BMW/whoever) come trade-in, I'm just worried they'd try and pull a fast one and argue the price down.

However, saying that, just did a quick web search via the MINI cherished site & comes up with a couple of examples similarly priced to colours like DS, EB etc. Wonder whether these were traded in and how much they got???

#15 ·
I think if you have an unpopular car and its white you may struggle,if you have a popular car and its white you may struggle but if you have the extremely popular three month wait MINI its not going to be a problem.More and more people are opting for PW and that means it is a popular colour, which means dealers won't have a problem selling them second hand and if they say its not worth as much because of the colour then they are trying it on.If its that bad they should make metallic paint £250 and red,black and yellow free,and they should then pay YOU £250 to have PW .
The author of this post would like to point out that he is slightly biased and drives a PW MINI.

#23 ·
I had to do a search for this topic.........

the past few days i have been looking at prices of second hand mini coopers and cooper s's.
I really want one in pepper white with a black roof. And it seems that through searching through the classifeids in various places that these actually get priced at around £1000 - £1500 more than any other colour!
Seems like it is because it is rare and hard to get hold of, whereas chili red/white combo is soooooooooo popular that prices are quite low really.
Couldnt find anywhere else that this might have been brought up, so i thought i would.

#24 ·
gotta agree:
It's not a true white, and if they called it cream AND offered a real white one, no one would make this farfetched argument.
pure/brilliant white cars are annoying to keep clean in my opinion...however I don't see anything in common between that and a PW Mini. I have mine on order and if anything I do worry about resale value around here because it seems like everyone and his brother in town lately is getting PW -- I've seen 3 different ones in the last week I think. They look good is the reason they're popular however, so I'm not letting it bother me--plus everyone has their own unique style. Mine will have the black roof and the chrome mirror caps/exterior, which will hopefully set me apart from many of my brethren.

I also agree a dealer on a tradein would tell you metal and rubber are going out of style if he thought it would help him shave money off the price.

motor on!

#25 ·
Resale be damned!! I have the sweetest '05 MCS in New England (Even the guys at the dealership say this color combo is their favorite!) If you want Pepper White - then go for it! My previous MCS was Indi Blue - and although I loved it, I love this one even more! Classy yet very, very shmoove!

Take a look!!!

http://web.mac.com/kurtschneider/iWeb/Schneidertime/MINI, MINI, MINI.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.