MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what performance mods can i carry out that won't affect my tlc and warranty ?
other than the JCW that i can't afford .
what sort of gains can i expect and at what cost ?

steve

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my local dealer is bridgate derby , does anyone else on here use them , and does your car have any mods ?
my car has jcw seats , jcw adjustable suspension , jcw strut brace and volk racing 16" wheels , should these mods make any difference to the tlc ?

·
Registered
262 Posts
steve1968 said:
my local dealer is bridgate derby
so is mine, and they are BAD with mods.

the reason i got in contact with MINI UK to find out about the warranty issue was because i wanted to do a few bits and pieces to my MCS and bridgegate said they would void my warranty and TLC if i touched anything (even a cold air intake)... which is a lie!

steve1968 said:
does your car have any mods ?
nothing to special and all my schnitzer stuff came directly from bridgegate so no issues there. i have been very seriously thinking of a BBR220 upgrade though, but i no theyll spilt there dummy at that because i asked them :p

be very careful as perminant mods with void the TLC which will in turn reduce the resale value to the car (because everyone wants the TLC)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Modded MINIs in Derby

steve1968 said:
my local dealer is bridgate derby , does anyone else on here use them , and does your car have any mods ?
my car has jcw seats , jcw adjustable suspension , jcw strut brace and volk racing 16" wheels , should these mods make any difference to the tlc ?
Used them while working over there for 8 months, there have been plenty of modded cars through their doors; URUs words are very wise.

My take is if you point out the mods, theyve got to stick to the official line, but, if it doesn't affect the warranty work your asking them to do OR in the case of TLC, aint obvious (like a chip, panel filter, possibly a smaller pulley) you're likely to be ok with it; I know for a fact of chipped cars that have been there a number of times inc for TLC with no hassles - have been reading good things on here about the MTH ECU software (see you've been on that thread) and believe Chip Tuning who are near Birmingham do a similar thing - Either way, given your wheels [and tints] are non-std, they cud argue your TLC is invalid anyway, so be prepared for the £300 service bill.

Your car looks too tough to run std, so you have to go for modding it ... my advice wud be suss out the current tlc situ vis a vee the wheels etc, then compare the true 'cost' of 1} deciding on / costing up / fitting your air filter, zorst, pulley, Chip options {then try your luck with TLC, warranty work}, factoring in lesser retained value at resale vs JCW 2} as it's an 04 car, go for the JCW Works kit, retain the value of the TLC, warranty peace of mind and make an allowance for the added value of a Works S at re-sale, 3} just go for an 'undetectable' MTH / Chip Tune (gives 196bhp I believe) - this is probably the best option in the short term, but if you're going to want further mods later ... find a way to justify / afford the 210bhp JCW kit

·
Registered
336 Posts
196 BHP seems a hell of a lot for a standard remap that's not custom to the car.

Surely you'd need at least a reduced pulley to achieve that?

Hartge only claim 195BHP for their "Kompressor kit" which I think is a chip, pulley, and rolling road session.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
See For Yourself

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61603

http://www.chiptuninguk.com/chiptuning/frames_mini.asp

http://www.speed-buster.de/en/index.html

195/6 BHP has caused much scepticism, you're not the first nor I'm sure will you be the last ...

MukiMunki said:
196 BHP seems a hell of a lot for a standard remap that's not custom to the car.

Surely you'd need at least a reduced pulley to achieve that?

Hartge only claim 195BHP for their "Kompressor kit" which I think is a chip, pulley, and rolling road session.

·
Registered
21 Posts
loud sound from the engine

My mini cooper s engine has always been fairly loud, with vaious whines, ticks and gurgls. Just installed a KN cold air intake, and after installation I fired the car up to listen for any leaks or odd sounds. Pretty much right away a sound which can only be described as a wailing or very unhappy engine belt began. When I would rev the engine it would go away and come back when the car returned to idle. The sound reminded me of a crappy jeep commanche that I used to own, that constantly need belt dressing\lube to make the fan belt quieter.
Has anyone experienced this? Does anyone know why it sounds louder after intalling a cold air intake?

Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
J1JPE said:

And this isn't achieved by advancing the timing to such a degree that it risks detonation and damage to the pistons if eg I can't get hold of Optimax?

I'm just approaching this from a mildly sceptical viewpoint. Honestly can't see how it can jump so far just by a chip without some form of supercharger modification eg reduced diameter pulley or an uprated charger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts