MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for all you tire "experts". Which tire is going to be better in the rain? I am thinking of getting the performance tires and using my "beater" (Suzuki Samurai) for the snow we get once in awhile her in Baltimore, but I don't want to be driving on "snot" when the roads get wet from rain. Watcha think?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had always heard that summer AKA performance tires are better in the dry or the wet. All season tires are by definition a compromise in terms of compound and tread pattern to deal with wet, dry and snow. Of course, I'm no expert :)

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
not an expert in this field either. AFAIK, performance tires, (V-rated and higher) have advance designed tread patterns which channel away water better allowing them to maintain optimal grip in wet or dry. So as long as you are not driving in snowy/icy surfaces, performance tires would be the optimum 'shoes' for your Cooper.

for a great tire reference guide, check tirerack.com

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
Here's another question on the all-season/performance issue; It has been my experience that "all-season" tires, along with being a fairly mediocre compromise as a summer tire, are also a fairly mediocre compromise as a winter tire (at least in places that have a real winter). For that reason, I'm probably going to go for the "performance tire" option and get a set of real snow tires. Odds are I'll probably get a set of cheap and ugly wheels to go with the snow tires, probably 16" rims instead of 17".

Here's the issue: Does anyone actually make a run-flat snow tire, or will I need to buy a doughnut spare and put it in the boot all winter? Or will/does MINI offer a spare to people as an option even if they are getting run-flats?

-Ricardo

·
Registered
300 Posts
Note:

All-seasons last twice as long as performance...

A buddy of mine has a BMW 330i Cabriolet, and he has to replace his performance tires, after only 20,000 km's. (And he doesn't do burn-outs.)

·
Registered
97 Posts
All-seasons last twice as long as performance...
Very true, but if you swap them off once a year for winter they do last longer in terms of time if not miles! :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
MGB Boy said:
Odds are I'll probably get a set of cheap and ugly wheels to go with the snow tires, probably 16" rims instead of 17".

Here's the issue: Does anyone actually make a run-flat snow tire, or will I need to buy a doughnut spare and put it in the boot all winter? Or will/does MINI offer a spare to people as an option even if they are getting run-flats?

-Ricardo
If you go for two sets of wheels then check which ordering option is the cheapest. In the UK it is cheaper to order standard steel wheels and then buy the alloys from the parts dept later. This is strange but true. Steel wheels and wheel trims cost £120 a set. 15" alloys cost £320. If you order the alloys to start with then they cost £270, ie they only give you a £50 allowance for the steels. Steel wheels might not be a factory fit option for the USA though.

Another option is to use standard winter tyres and use the MINI-mobility tyre repair system. Is this not available in the USA?

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Apial,

Do you know how much the 16" 5 spokes are aftermarket? I presume the prices you are quoting are excluding tyres?

Thanks in advance........

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
Thanks for the tip on wheel pricing, I'll keep an eye on how that works out when ordering the car, but odds are the winter wheels probably won't be "official" MINI wheels at all, just some manner of generic wheel.

Less than 13,000 miles (20,000 km = 12,400 miles) on a set of tires? Sounds like some bad tires (or at least the extreme low end of the lifespan scale), I've had performance tires in the past that had a longer lifespan than that...

-Ricardo

·
Registered
300 Posts
My buddy DOES swap his performance tires for winter ones, during winter, and they still need replacing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts