MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a mini cooper s after pulling out my hair deciding which was a better/more fun car to buy between the civic type r and the cooper s.

What is the maximum revs you should take each gear to to get the best performance?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hmm, I don´t know exactly for the new gearing and engine specs in the 05 Cooper S, but for the taller gearing in the 02 through 04 MCS models the best revs for shifting was redline (or to be exact 6950 rpm). That is based on this diagram, that I made taking the torque and gearing specs to create a pulling force curve for each gear. The x-axis displays speed from 0 to 250 kph (155 mph) and the y-axis counts the propulsion force in Newton (N). 1.0 N equals 0.23 lb.

As you can see not one single gear drops below the curve of the next, so theoretically you need to take every gear to redline to have the maximum possible propulsion force at the wheels all the time. But as you can also see from 3rd gear on the gaps are very close so that shifting at 6000 rpm or so wouldn´t harm your acceleration very much.

The diagram has also to be seen with the limitation of not inlcuding friction loss which is higher at high revs. Furthermore the official spec torque curve doesn´t have to be identical with the one of a particular car.

Klaus

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nice post Klaus.

Your figurative analysis backs up subjective assessment.

Are you stating newton metres versus pounds feet in your torque equation of 1.0 = 0.23?

·
Registered
507 Posts
@Speedynz

No, I´m not talking about torque here, this is linear propulsion force. So just Netwon and pound. The conversion factor for Newtonmetre and pound feet includes the conversion factor from metre to feet.
So 0.23 / 0.305 = 0.754 and there we are.

I wanted to come up with the lengthwise force that actually pulls the car forward. I got the idea from a diagram BMW has printed for the M3. It looked quite similar, apart from the fact that 1st gear peaks around 16.000 N....

Klaus

·
Registered
60 Posts
KlausR,
Wow, great information. :cool: I'm don't follow all the formulas. But I got the bottom line.
Rev it up.... :D
Thanks.

·
DrJ
170 Posts
Nice figures. I find that in every day driving as long as you don't drop below 4000rpm when changing up it flows pretty nicely.

The trouble with changing at 6900rpm or so is that you often get the limiter cutting in which would hamper your progress a bit :mad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
DrJ said:
Nice figures. I find that in every day driving as long as you don't drop below 4000rpm when changing up it flows pretty nicely.

The trouble with changing at 6900rpm or so is that you often get the limiter cutting in which would hamper your progress a bit :mad:
Nah, the limiter only cuts in at 7200 RPM :cool:

But the revs go so quickly - you really need to be awake :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts