MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm about to have a Mini One given to me by the company I work for. I can pay extra to upgrade and was thinking of a Cooper D (for an extra £2,500) but just can't decide and thought I would ask your help.

I never believe claimed mpg figures so what are they like in the real world?

How many miles do you get on a tank in a One?

How many miles do you get on a tank in a Cooper D?

I do about 25,000 miles a year and like to get my foot down. I'll be selling my C220 Diesel Merc and think I may find the Mini One underpowered compared to it.

Looking foward to Mini ownership, thanks in advance for your help.

Al

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Who pays for the fuel? If you do, I'd strongly advise the one, because I know by me, petrol is 27p a litre cheaper...:eek:

You could always put about half of that money in and get a petrol cooper...

I know someone with a CooperD, and they get about 48mpg.

Hope that helps:D

·
Registered
543 Posts
On long journeys and keeping fairly legal I'm getting well over 50 in a Clubman D - and 60 isn't difficult with a light foot and early change-ups.

But 48 or thereabouts is very realistic on short trips with lots of start/stops.

My miles per refill varies around the 400 mark but I tend to be cautious and refill early if I see a convenient BP Ultimate pump.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok here's my bit then: Diesel versus petrol maint costs for the Mini are so similar: so nothing there! The new Cooper D is far LESS economical than the old One D (mine) & those above reports are about what I would expect re miles: I can & do regularly get 700 range on a tank meaning just shy of 70mpg: way over manufacturer figures & that's every tank!

There is a big difference between petrol & diesel pricing now so I would vote petrol here in good old blightly!

·
It's now S power!!
563 Posts
I'd always buy a diesel based on how they drive. Love the torque, they're so effortless to drive.
Cooper D everytime.

·
Totalled
7,388 Posts
Who pays for the fuel? If you do, I'd strongly advise the one, because I know by me, petrol is 27p a litre cheaper...:eek:

You could always put about half of that money in and get a petrol cooper...

Hope that helps:D
With figures like that, sounds like your friend never gets out of 3rd gear!

Having a D and my wife having a ONE I would say the D is a far more enjoyable experience for a 'driver'. The ONE can be sluggish and soon runs out of guts when you push it. As far as economy is concerned, the ONE gets about 45mpg whereas my D gets around 65mpg. Despite diesel being 15ppl dearer than petrol, it still works out cheaper. Plus you'll pay less on company car tax based on the emissions.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
The company car tax is a good point... They don't particularly drive it 'hard', just average use (not motorways, but equally not short runs)... If you are enthusiastic, it can drop a lot...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts