MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has installed this PHANTOM GRIP LIMITED SLIP CONVERSION KIT and if it is really as good as an actually LSD. Like to hear about it!
Thanks,
Jm

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
you wound't happen to be in toronto or southern ontario, you can check out www.somc.on.ca; there's a member (our president)'s got one and he's really happy with it.. i believe it needs to be taken out every now and then to be reoiled or something.. but it does work!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha, actually Iam from Etobicoke. I saw in the forum he had the grip but I didnt find any posts about it so I figured I would post Q's about it here...
Thanks,
Jm

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
as the ever vigilant Obehave pointed out .. yes i have the Phantom grip with Street springs. Depending on what you have planned for the car is it good to go with.. Better than stock yes.. better than a True LSD. Im going to say no. When i first put it in along with lightwieght flywheel and clutch. the Lock up was so strong i thought it was going to rip the front end off.. Now after it has had time to seet in im able to do single tire burnouts but for only approx half to 1/3 the distance as before (on a slightly dirty road). So its still working just not giving Posi's as when it was first installed. The Race spring version is runned by Tony Nuzzo.(Who answered my questions enough for me to purchase the unit. and of course Races in the Grand am series) would give a better lock up after seeting.due to stronger springs. In the past when i've put LSD in my RWD cars/ 4wd trucks would cause tire chirps during low speed turning as well as making it harder to turn. I dont have this trouble with the Phantom Grip. But cant say if its a problem with the qualife or other LSD installed.. since ive never had one in a FWD car before.

The only concern i had which i asked Nuzzo about it was about metal shavings in the Tranny. When i asked other Phantom grip users they would say either "there are no shavings" or "Theres never been a problem" . Both answers never set well with me.. Now Tony said there are shavings and you would need to change the Tranny oil about twice as much as you normally would, maybe more depending on your driving style. This was more of the answer i was looking for. Ive done 1 tranny oil change since having it installed upon which i had a look at the oil. Yep there were shavings as expected (a metal block pressing against Metal spider gears WILL have shavings) just not as much as i would expect. There was less shavings then my first tranny oil change at 5k(breaking in the tranny) but slightly more than my second change 6k later. This change was done at 3k after having it installed. All and all it does look good and im happy with the unit.

I hope this helps some

Until we meet on the Road
Have fun, Be safe and Keep MOTOV8N

·
SCCA ClubRallyists
214 Posts
Mugami hit it on the head. Great low cost option that's better than stock for street driving. If you're not racing and don't have a ton of cash laying around, it's a great option. However we in the rally community have a saying about these for rally/race applications....

"The reason it's called a phantom grip is because when you need it most you're left asking...where's the grip."

-Dave & Stacy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Dave&Stacy
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing