MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, roll call time. Who plans to go to Don Rosen's on 3/22? If you're going, when will you be there? We really ought to take some pictures of the group with a new MINI.

I'm thinking of taking the afternoon off and driving down with my wife. She still needs to see one to be convinced it will work as our second car (she thinks it's too small). We've got a 7 month old who may occasionally need to ride in the MINI instead of the Passat wagon. I'll be handing out bribes to get people to casually comment on how big the back seat is! ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oddly enough, I will be in London on the 22nd. Alex said he will be calling the people on the list for a demo of the the cooper and s. So I will have to go after I get back on the 26th. Hopefully I will get to meet you folks at some other point.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I haven't talked to anybody at Don Rosen for months. Didn't know the name of the MINI Manager (Alex?) until I read your earlier posts.

What time is this all supposed to start on the 22nd? Guess I should give Alex a call tomorrow. (Same phone # as BMW ?)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't talked to anybody at Don Rosen for months. Didn't know the name of the MINI Manager (Alex?) until I read your earlier posts.

What time is this all supposed to start on the 22nd? Guess I should give Alex a call tomorrow. (Same phone # as BMW ?)
Alex just started on Wednesday, so don't feel bad.:)

I don't think they would have called me yet either. I just happened to be down in Philly on Monday, so I stopped in to get the scoop and asked that Alex call me back.

I don't expect to get a test drive on the 22nd considering that I'm around 70 on the Cooper S list. I do want to see the completed showroom and show my wife the cars, though. I figured it would be fun to meet you guys too. I'm planning on sometime in the afternoon, but I'm flexible.

It currently is the same number as the BMW showroom.

·
Registered
927 Posts
:cool: Hmmmm.

#29 on list for a Cooper and want Sport and Premium packages, chrome line bumpers.....maybe there will be a "loaded" pre-specced car available early on.

Guess I better get rid of the old '86 Isuzu Pickup so that I have room in the garage!!! :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it sounds like myself, sdmidget & rdcrdc3. Any other takers?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'll be there!! Afternoon works for me as well. Perhaps around 3:00pm or 3:30pm?

Jason

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last call!

Anybody other than myself, sdmidget, rdcrdc3 and jlivingood?

I plan to arrive around 2PM and will certainly be there for at least an hour or two :p

Look for the guy with the wife and 7 month old daughter in tow!

Dave

·
Registered
808 Posts
Odds are not looking good that I will be there. My boss announced this week that he's quitting and Firday is his last day. I fully expect to get a bunch of projects dropped on me at the last moment...

We'll see - maybe he'll be out of there by lunchtime.

Jason

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll be there along with Chris from Helix...about 3pm. But how can it be a party without jlivingood? Jason: I think you miss the corporate power dynamic happening here. Your boss quits, and the company is completely beholden to you. They need you now more than ever! Call the president and inform him (her?) that you need a ride to Rosen in the company limo (a stretch MINI:D ).

See youse (Philly vernacular) there.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah -- I think I might need to make certain I get myself out the door to Rosen's. Left my MINI hat at home though! :-( I'll try to make it there... This is too big an event!

Jason

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll see you guys down there!

As I said in my PM's, I'll have a black Apple Computer baseball cap on and a black nylon shell jacket. I'll have my wife and 7 month old daughter with me.

I'll be leaving work shortly to drive a buddy's new MB C32 AMG before heading home to get the family and have lunch. I should be at Don Rosen's around 2:00.

Cheers!

·
Registered
927 Posts
So guys......how'd it go today?

I ended up having to 'ferry' my daughter around today - of course never made it. [test drive scheduled for Monday]

How was it at DonRosen's today?? Any talk of dealer extras ($$)??

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's what I was able to find out today:

- Still no Cooper S's at Don Rosen, but they're expected soon
- They had a red/white and silver/black available for test drives
- The showroom had yellow/black, red/white and blue/white on display
- Otto's will not be opening until December! :eek:
- Don Rosen may be getting many of the cars originally allocated for Otto's
- If you walk in off the street and want a regular Cooper, expect to wait about 6 months
- If you walk in off the street and want a Cooper S, expect to wait a year and a half
- At least the first 10 cars of each will be pre-speced, after that it's all customer speced
- The R90 wheels were on display and with tires cost $2560
- There were some 5-star wheels on display that were $144 each, but I forget what size they were
- Chris and Eric from Helix have some new goodies on their MINI ;)
- All the cars on display had the dual seatback adjustment levers- outboard for access to the rear and inboard for driver adjustment

I test drove the Chilli Red/white roof car. It had 15" wheels and the regular suspension. The Pure Silver/black roof car had 16" wheels, but I didn't get to drive it. They've got a test drive loop that they have you run so you're back in time for the next 30 minute scheduled drive. It's an OK drive, but I had traffic to contend with on both the back road and highway sections. Here are my observations:
- This is one SOLID car! It certainly feels like a BMW
- Although I didn't get up to any really sporting speed, it does seem to handle VERY well. There's basically no body roll
- The brakes are pretty touchy- they grab immediately. The car will stop on a dime
- The power isn't bad if you work the gearbox. I did find the gearing a bit tall, though
- The clutch and shifter were very nice, but first was difficult to engage a couple of times
- I found the accomodations to be quite comfortable and the ride was very good for a car of this size
- The car was also very quiet at idle or speed

What else do you guys want to know?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was told that I could order a Cooper S in June with delivery starting in Aug.Since this is day one,delivery dates are still a little shakey,but waiting a year seems a bit long.After market is going to be hugh with this car.The dealership had wheels on desplay.All the tee shirts,hats,pens and other MINI related stuff from the MINIUSA web site.I think I will go up there tomorrow to look over the cars in the daylight.Maybe schedule a test drive.

·
Registered
808 Posts
MadAboutMINI said:
Here's what I was able to find out today:
- Still no Cooper S's at Don Rosen, but they're expected soon
- Otto's will not be opening until December! :eek:
- Don Rosen may be getting many of the cars originally allocated for Otto's
You just didn't stick around long enough! ;-) A DS Cooper S showed up on a BMW delivery trailer around 4pm or 5pm. You should have seen the crowd of people checking that one out!

I was very impressed overall with Don Rosen's. The regional MINI rep was there and was really nice. And Alex, the sales manager, seems very cool (I know him from Vision VW-Porsche-Audi in Reading). Sales reps all cool. I think they'll be quite successful.

They had at one point 15+ cars at the dealership - and some cars had already been delivered to customers! Wow -- so they must have gotten some cars that otherwise would have gone to Otto's.

These guys should move through their list of customers pretty darned fast!

My Cooper S test drive is set for next Thursday afternoon... :)

Jason

PS - I think December for Otto's is early. I heard January!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
!#$* I just missed the S! I left around 3:45. I'm sorry that I missed Jason and the S.

I don't have my test drive for the S scheduled, yet. I figure it'll probably be around the end of this week or the beginning of the next based on where I am on the list. Maybe I'll give them a call on Monday and see if I can get something earlier.

I'm hoping that they do move throught their list fast. They should if they get extra cars that were meant for Otto's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts