MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photo taken February 13, 2002, at the Chicago Auto Show.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a picture of the same glovebox opened. There are two "pads" for setting down a beverage (when the MINI isn't moving) just visible. Unfortunately the glovebox is rather flimsy, so I wouldn't recommend accessing it on a daily basis.

Attachments

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Great pictures Timothy! These are certainly the only really clear pictures existing of the mysterious and much anticipated glovebox. :)

I like how the handle repeats the theme of the interior door handle - a nice touch. ;)

Did you happen to find out how it is air conditioned? Is the glovebox temperature adjustable separately from the regular cooling controls?

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
I wasn't impressed with the glovebox when I saw it at the LA Auto Show :( I much rather just have the under-dash shelf like on UK MINIs.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
MINIAC said:
I wasn't impressed with the glovebox when I saw it at the LA Auto Show :( I much rather just have the under-dash shelf like on UK MINIs.
No way! :)

To me anything placed on the open shelve helps make the interior look messy and cluttered -- not to mention providing inviting targets for thieves.

Take a look at the standard (shall we call it UK-style?) shelve visible in photos in this thread

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4096

- a mobile phone and MINI owner's manual clearly looks a bit cluttered to me (no offense intended at all Minty :))

Plus, items on the open shelve are not secured and, I imagine, can easily become displaced by G forces when driving the way I plan to drive my Cooper S. :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm afraid I didn't get any information on how the glovebox is cooled, but I would assume there's just an extra duct from the air conditioner.

As a place to put the owner's manual, registration papers, etc., it'll do just fine (and look fine, too). But I don't think I'd pay much for it if it were an option.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I dont like it. I think it spoils the lines of the dash & the original Mini didnt have a glove box :) :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
tsipple said:
I'm afraid I didn't get any information on how the glovebox is cooled, but I would assume there's just an extra duct from the air conditioner.
Yep, the glovebox will be climate controlled, for both a/c and heat, w/ a duct.
And don't fret, there's a knob (what, no toggle switch?) to open and close it.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
smiffy said:
I dont like it. I think it spoils the lines of the dash & the original Mini didnt have a glove box :) :)
Minty said:

I dont like the glove box. Just doesnt look right!
Guess I'm the only Yank who doesn't like the glovebox ... at least I have a couple of sympathizers on the other side of the pond. My '67 Austin Cooper S had the open dash, so maybe that's why I wish the MINI was that way. But with the glovebox also comes a knee bolster on the steering column side, and having sat in MINIs with both configurations, I must say that the glovebox and knee bolster make the cockpit feel less roomy.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I'm not keen on it either. I think a pull down 'netting' like over the sunroof would have been a neat and descreet way of doing it, so it's open, unless you want to stack stuff on the shelf, when you could pull the net down, which is out of site when open.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Minty said:
I dont like the glove box. Just doesnt look right!

Nothing slips off the 'shelf' it has a really grippy rubber covering.
I do agree with Minty, the glovebox doesn't enhance the aesthetics of the interior (on the contrary in fact) and the open shelf now looks much better.
I have stucked a couple of stuff in it and must say the 'grippy rubber' works very well. Personally, i like some mess around the car, makes it kinda familiar :D

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Like it or not.......oz cars are stuck with it. It would be Interesting to know who and why the decision was made to supply one in the first place. I agree the interior with the shelf looks a lot better. I was expecting a door that covered the original shelf rather than what appears to be a completely (and small) redesigned area.

Oh well....... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Maybe it would look better if the glove box was the same colour of the dash :confused: :confused: :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I was under the impression that the glove box was just a door fixed in place in front of the shelf. At least, that's certainly what it looked like at NAIAS 2002. I'll check it out again at the Toronto Autoshow.

I would imagine, with a little tinkering, one could remove the door if they're that set against it.

Being black, I find it less obtrusive than I thought it would be.

You could always set up a thread for people either side of the pond to swap trim bits from UK and US models. I'm sure someone in the UK wants a glovebox, and someone in the US wants a shelf. It's a possibility for the more obsessive owners.

P.S. I understand the function of the A/C glovebox, and that there's a vent in there, but my question is why? Why would the glove box need to be heated or cooled? What do people keep in there that I don't?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
noahe said:
...I understand the function of the A/C glovebox, and that there's a vent in there, but my question is why? Why would the glove box need to be heated or cooled? What do people keep in there that I don't?
I dunno, never had one before. But I guess I'd like to keep drinks cool in the summer :p, and..... some kind of food warm in the winter? :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it is 'nasty'. Its true that putting things on the normal shelf does make the interior cluttered, but that doesnt outweigh the abnormal look of this glovebox. I agree that its spoils the lines of the dash/interior.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts